1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Native or adapted teleconverter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TheWidget, Mar 16, 2016.

1. TheWidget

TheWidget New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2014
    Sheffield, UK
    Ben
    I'm looking at extending the reach of my longer Nikon-mount lenses and am wondering what will give best results?

Options I'm considering, by price:
    • Nikon TC-14B (~£100, reasonable by modern standards)
    • Sigma APO 1.4x EX (~£125, for film, presumed better than TC-14B)
    • Sigma APO 1.4x EX DG (~£165, for digital, not quite as sharp as TC-14E)
    • Nikon TC-14E (~£200, very good optics though may have to grind off metal tab to fit MF/early AF lenses?)
    • Sigma TC-1401 (~£210, slightly sharper in center than TC-14E - where it counts)
    • Olympus MC-14 (~£230, no clearance issues once NF-µ43 adapter fitted)
    There's very little in price between the modern optics, and as much as I'd like a bargain I suspect I'd just be disappointed with the old film lenses. I suppose really the choice is between the newest Sigma and the Oly.
    I've read various complaints about mixing Sigma and Nikon lenses/TCs but this always concerns AF which is of no concern to me.
    Perhaps swinging in the Oly's favour is the lack of clearance problems with SLR lenses which makes it most adaptable for some curious combinations (plus I could use it with Oly's Pro lenses if I ever have a couple of spare grand - unlikely!). My largest concern is with it being so specifically designed with just two lenses in mind, how will it perform with random vintage glass designed for film plonked in front of it?

Advice welcomed!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

As a special, matched TC, there is a good chance the MC-14 will not work with anything else. The design uses elements that protrude into the lens in order to get better performance. You may not even be able to mount your adapter on it. I would go with something that has wide compatibility for the best odds.

Image of MC-14:

ACCESSORIES_MC-14_black__Product_000__x290.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TheWidget

TheWidget New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2014
    Sheffield, UK
    Ben
    All these TCs protrude but the Nikon to µ43 adapter needed for the Oly model would give any lens an extra 25mm of clearance:
    AI_to_m43.jpg
    This looks like it should be enough to prevent any issues, especially when the target lenses should clear the equally protruding adapted TCs which will mount on the lens side of this adapter.

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    hmmm no consideration that the MC14 might actually have been engineered only to work optimally with certain lenses? Oh lets say current pro level olympus lenses.... maybe the 40-150 and the 300.. actually the only lenses that Olympus care about.. because those are the lenses they make money with.

My guess would be that the best result would be the TC for the lens you are converting... not the sensor you are aiming at

K

5. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2016
    Essex UK
    Ian
    I for one will be trying the Oly TC on mine, its worth a try and I got it with the 40-150, I'll post again once I've tried it and let you know how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheWidget

TheWidget New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2014
    Sheffield, UK
    Ben
    This was exactly my line of thinking; the photo above was just to explain why I'm not worried about mechanical coupling for the Oly TC.

A quick look at the backs of my >50mm lenses suggests that a Nikon mount TC is not going to fit the 85mm, maybe the 135mm, not the 200mm, sadly not the 180mm (it would if I upgraded to the later IF model), it would fit the mirror lens with the flat rear element removed (though it's not sharp enough to bother with), but definitely on the 300mm:
    lens_rears_768.jpg

That would be great, thanks! What other lenses do you have to try it with?

Edit: Just saw from the other thread that you have the same 300mm lens as me?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  7. TheWidget

TheWidget New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2014
    Sheffield, UK
    Ben
    Just came across this video review where the Oly TC is used with this exact lens, and is said to work very well:

(skip to 4 mins in for the legacy section)

• Like Like x 1