Native or Adapted Lens?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by timothysoong, Nov 23, 2011.

1. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Here I am again starting a new thread asking recommendations of which lens to get.

And from the previous 20 or 25mm thread. I end up liking the 20mm lens but I haven't got it yet due to budget issues. As I recently got a tripod(Velbon Ultrek 43D).

My current lens set are still the 14mm and 14-45mm.

And recently I'm more into video shooting. As Ive just formed a band. And I've been taking videos with my 14-45mm. And I thought I'd prolly need to get a better lens.

Still, the 20mm comes into consideration, as I like it due to its f/1.7 for low light shooting. But I'd to paid quite much for it, but still I could get it. And I've read that most professional use adapted(manual focus) lens for video shooting.

And right now, I need a lens for:
    - Video Shooting(first priority)
    - Low light pictures(second priority)

I'm puzzled. Which is why Id make this thread to ask more professionals.

P.S.: And I'm curious to learn manual focus video shooting and the use of adapted lens as Ive never had one.

And the good thing about adapted lens is that its usually cheaper than native lens.

So what do you guys recommend then? :\

Thanks in advance.

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I like using my Pentax Super Takumar 50/1.4. It gives me nice bokeh and mechanically it is a real pleasure to use. That said both your 14-45 and 14 would work fine for video and are quiet (FWIW the 20/1.7 is a bit too noisy for video).

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Don't get the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 if video shooting is your priority use. Get a nice manual focus lens with smooth focus control instead. You need a smooth focus ring for video, and you don't want AF. There are many good legacy lenses which will offer that, along with a wide aperture. They will fit the bill for both of your requirements.

It's a pity that the GF-2 doesn't support external audio. Panasonic is King in the video industry, yet all the Olympus PEN cameras besides the original E-P1 have better hardware support for video than most of the Pansonic m4/3 cameras save the GH series... and Olympus doesn't even make a video camera, lol. xP

4. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Well my priority use is still shooting pictures. But its just I'm not sure if the 14mm / 14-45mm can provide professional video quality. And with the f/1.7 and it being 20mm, it will be a good addition to my lenses.

Anyway, since you've mentioned it will fit the bill for both of my requirements, Id also need to consider paying for the adapters. Not so sure how much they will cost approximately, but can you name some most recommended lenses?

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Hmmm... Here are some of the mounts I like for more "affordable" glass:
    Olympus OM, Contax/Yashica (C/Y), Konica AR, Minolta MD, M42 Screw Mount, M39 Leica Thread, Pen FT, and Canon FD.
    OM mount for Zuiko glass, C/Y mount for Zeiss glass, AR mount for Konica Hexanon glass, MC/MD mount for Rokkor glass, M42 for Super-Takumar lenses, and M39 LTM for the more affordable Leica, Voigtlander, and KMZ glass.

Then there's also a bunch of fine lenses which could be available in any mount. For instance, Kiron lenses, Vivitar Series 1, or Pentacon. You'll have to scope out a lens first before finding the appropriate mount adapter for it.

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Well I don't know that I'd call the GF2 "professional quality" but it is 1080i HD. That said, the Panasonic 20 is a GREAT lens. If I could only have 1 lens that would be the one. HOWEVER if video was my priority I'd probably go with a legacy lens that had a nice smooth action (like the Super Takumar). If I wanted AF then the 14 is a very good lens. A bit WA for my tastes but quite and fast. The 14-45 is not quite as sharp but also a very good lens.

Of legacy lenses you first need to look at what focal length you want. I like using my OM24/2.8 and OM50/1.4 or Super Tak 50/1.4. I have also used a Helios 44 58/2 for video and thought it came out pretty well. Mind you that is a short tele so that may not suit your needs.

Each legacy lens needs an adapter to get it to work with m43. The Super Takumar is m42 threaded and there are a number of other very good (and cheap) lenses (brands) that also use that. If you're looking for the biggest selection of good (often cheap) lenses then you can stop there. Since I also use my lenses for still and I have a particular fondness for Olympus OM lenses I have an OM to m43 adapter as well. IN general you can get decent adapters off of eBay for in the $20-$30 range. I like rainbowimaging as a provider.

7. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Yeah, but I'm a beginner I've no idea which lens is good and yet cheap. But all I know is I'd need a wide angle lens prolly 12-20mm focal length.

Recently, I just got a 25mm as I found one in stock. I currently have the 14/14-45/25mm Lumix lenses. Will the 25mm f/1.4 be any better than the 14mm f/2.5 in AF?

And I need a wide angle lens at least a 12-20mm as the focal length. And I need it to be cheap and yet worth the money because I've just spent a $600 on the 25mm lens.

Mind providing some recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    12-20mm is really wide angle for a legacy lens! You can always get cine lenses which are wide like that as well as fast in aperture. But you gotta make sure they're made for high-def video or they will not resolve very well to modern standards.

Most other wide angle legacy lenses will be either not be as wide as your Leica 25mm Summilux, or they will be very expensive. For wide angle, you may as well just stick with native lenses for the price. Like how about the m.Zuiko 9-18mm f/3.5-5.6? The m.Zuiko is an MSC (Movie and Still Compatible) lens, which will be smooth and quiet in operation for your video shooting, and is also less expensive than the Lumix 7-14mm f/4.

9. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    *sigh* not being wide angle enough and the price of the wide angle legacy lens are just too much. I guess i'll stick to my 14mm f/2.5 for video. As for now thats the best ive got for video shooting as i couldnt find a better yet affordable replacement.