Native or adapted gllass for my G5?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by snegron, Jun 11, 2013.

1. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    I haven't had a chance to experiment much with my G5 after purchasing it a few weeks ago. I have an upcoming vacation and I really want to take the G5. I currently own two native lenses (the kit lens 12-42 and a 45 to 150). I purchased the lens mount adapter to mount Nikon lenses on mt m4/3 body.

So far I experimented with only one manual focus lens; the 50mm 1.8 Ais lens (late model without prong; not the "E" version). The one or two pics I took eith it turned out quite sharp.

I don't have the time or resources to order a better native lens at this time, so I am considering taking my old Nikon primes with me. I currently have a 24mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 105mm 2.5.

In auto focus I have several others but I feel they are too large and heavy to pack on this upcoming trip.

Do the adaptive lenses offer better IQ or any other advantage (other than speed and in my case that I own several older lenses

Any suggestions regarding which lenses I should pack in my small bag for this vacation; my old Nikkor primes or my two native lenses? I'm not sure if it helps any, but I'm almost certain I won't be shooting any video.

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    If you are comfortable focusing, those MF lenses are fine.

I'm not enamored with Nikon's 24mm, but certainly, the 50mm f1.8 and the 105mm f2.5 are well worth using on the G5. The 105mm will be nearly 2 full f-stops faster than your 45-150mm zoom at 105mm.

3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    For the wider end you will need the 14-42 kit lens and for the longer end you will need the 45-150. The legacy lens will give you only better performance at low light. Please remember that at close distances and wide opening it is easy to miss the focus with legacy. when i travel i take my OM 50mm F/1.8 and use it only as short tele in dim environment.

4. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    Thanks! I too think I'm stuck with this set up for this trip. Some of the shots will be in dim light, but the majority will be out doors (providing it doesn't rain).

5. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    Thanks! I'm debating whether to take either the 50mm 1.8 or the 105mm 2.5 as I can't fit both of them in my cramped bag. Problem is that neither of these two lenses offer a different focal length from the two kit lenses I have. I was hoping to get my hands on a Nikon 200mm 4.0 for this particular trip, but it won't make it here in time. I should have planned this better!

The only two other medium telephoto lenses I have are AF versions; Nikon 180 2.8 AF-D and 85mm 1.8 AF-D. The 180 has a bit more reach than the kit lens I have, but it will take up too much space in bag. I'm not sure I want to have to use a larger bag just to take this lens; kind of defeats the whole purpose of going with a compact system.