Native lenses with MF only

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Dave in Wales, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Incredibly difficult to find, a list of which lenses support AF and which are MF only, if any.

I've looked everywhere, I can think of.
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm not sure if there is a list that has been developed anywhere, but in the native m4/3 mount I think it goes something like this:

Every Olympus, Panasonic, and Leica branded lens (8mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, 20mm, 25mm, 2x 45mm, 7-14mm, 9-18mm, 12-50mm, 1001x 14-42mm, 14-45mm, 14-140mm, 14-150mm, 40-150mm, 45-175mm, 45-200mm, 100-300mm).
    Sigma 19/2.8 and 30/2.8

Manual Focus:
    Samyang Fisheye
    Cosina Voigtlander 25/0.95 (and future 17/0.95)
    Noktor 50/0.95 (assuming that it ever existed in production form)

There are some other more obscure lenses from SLR Magic and possibly others, but I don't know if these qualify as a native mount or if they use an adapter.
  3. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    There is also the pinwide, not really a manual focus, more like no focus, the Kenko 300 mirror lens, lens baby lenses in M43, Sonnetar 25 1.1 in M43 mount, the SLR magic 12 1.6 is in native m43.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It's pretty much the same story as with Four-Thirds. Olympus, Panasonic, and Sigma make Autofocus lenses, everybody else makes Manual focus. We have more new players on board with Micro Four-Thirds though, and hopefully we'll see more AF manufacturers soon. In particular, it's rumored that the Tamron lenses will be AF.

Maybe Tamron will be to Micro Four-Thirds what Sigma was to Four-Thirds? Unfortunately, it seems Sigma is not taking m4/3 as serious as they were with Four-Thirds. I'm sure that's because of the increased difficulty in engineering lenses for a shorter mount, since they have their collection for SLR mounts. They were able to convert those to Four-Thirds, but now it takes a little bit more effort. So what they're doing is converting first to E-Mount (NEX) format, then to Micro Four-Thirds. Engineering-wise this makes sense, as the APS-C sensor is wider and requires more engineering than the Four-Thirds sensor, so they can engineer the lens for NEX then re-engineer the same lens for Micro Four-Thirds.

Well, that no longer makes sense when you consider that the NEX lens market is completely different from Micro Four-Thirds! Micro Four-Thirds has the much larger user base, and users who are more likely to move up from the kit lens. However, NEX users are the ones who are lens starved and will take what they can get, because Sony has given them little to no choice.

A 19mm f/2.8 and 30mm f/2.8? Sure, a NEX user might buy that considering that their only similar option is the very soft Sony E 16mm f/2.8 kit lens or the very expensive Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 ($1000 for a standard prime, almost what we pay for an extremely exotic and magnificent f/0.95 Nokton for Micro Four-Thirds!). On the other hand... what Micro Four-Thirds user cares about f/2.8 primes in the standard focal range when they have a selection like a 12mm f/2, 14mm f/2.5, 17mm f/2.8, 20mm f/1.7, 25mm f/1.4, 25mm f/0.95, 45mm f/1.8, and 45mm f/1.8 Macro? If we want an f/2.8 prime we have extremely small but sharp pancakes that are dirt cheap like the 14mm and 17mm, which anybody can afford if they can buy a camera. So where is a third party going to undercut these well-built OEM lenses?

In short, there is absolutely no reason for a Micro Four-Thirds user to buy the same lenses that a NEX user might be starved for. I wonder if Sigma has taken that into account when they look at the sales figures between their E-mount and Micro Four-Thirds mount lenses?

If Sigma wants to sell to Micro Four-Thirds users, they need to fill a lineup that we don't have, such as fast zooms, fast telephotos, super-teles beyond 300mm, tele-macros, and a more affordable ultra-wide option (these are all areas which Sigma fills in the SLR world). If Sigma doesn't figure it out, I hope Tamron does...
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    FWIW the Sonnetar 25/1.1 will not be coming to m4/3.