1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

native lenses...not so much

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by dixeyk, Oct 24, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Lately I've been finding that I enjoy shooting my old legacy glass more than the native stuff. I have a Panasonic 20, 14 and 45-200 (all of which I like a lot) but I find myself reaching for the old OM glass I have much more often. My favorites are a 24/2.8 and a 50/1.4 and except for really rare situations where I break out a 100/2.8 they pretty much do everything I want these days. I am also finding that manual focusing and taking more time feel really good. The OM lenses feel great in the hand and have a really action. I even find the IQ of my 24/2.8 to be pretty comparable to the Panasonic 20. I have even been toying with selling off all my native lenses and going with legacy for a while. I use a G2 so the body balances the longer, heavier OM glass+adapter and has the all important (to me) EVF. FWIW I don't think I would do this with an Olympus PEN or Panasonic GF series.

Anyone else tried this?

• Like Like x 1
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Well, I did re-buy a Takumar 50, after selling nearly all my legacy stuff. Since moving from an EP1 to an EPL2 + VF2 full time, focusing natively is much more fun. I've also got an OM 100/2.8, and thinking I should give the 50/1.4 a whirl.

3. I started out like this; I didn't use any native lenses on my E-P1 for about 6 months until I bought the 17mm very late last year. So far this year my use of legacy lenses has decreased significantly since I have bought a few native lenses. For me it turned Micro 4/3 from a fun curiousity into a genuine camera system.

Using legacy lenses served a very good purpose for me, and I still put them on the camera reasonably often, but I think that right at this moment I want the camera working with me rather than me working around the camera.

4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I miss my Super Takumar 50/1.4 as well...I had a beautiful 8 blade SMC version...live and learn. That said, I managed to find a lovely (over 1.3 million serial number) OM 50/1.4 that I just love. It's one of the nicest lenses I have.

5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I started with legacy and about a year ago picked up a 17 like you. That lead to a 14-42 (twice) and then the Panasonic stuff (14, 20, 14-45 and 45-200). I went along with the native stuff but recently the old OM lenses have really been getting much more use.To be honest of all the native stuff about the only one I would consider keeping is the 20. I doubt I would miss any of the other native lenses I have.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't own any native :43: lenses.

Although I do own 4/3 lenses and I consider them "native" lenses to both systems, but "technically" I don't own any native :43: lenses. ;)

7. Gerald

Gerald Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2011
    I have a G1 with the 14-45, but the thing that sealed the deal for me to actually buy it, was that I could use my OM50 1.8 on a digital body. I have used it quite a bit with the OM, but I did find that the autofocus of the 14-45 can be quite a nice thing to have. My computerscreen can feel so unforgiving when I just missed focus with the OM. So I use both about an equal amount of time.

I did also find an OM 50 1.4, this sometimes takes the place of the 1.8. But I'm still not entirely sure which one I like better. I do know I only need one of them but I can't say goodbye to either of them. On the one hand I want more lenses, on the other... having only these to my disposal feels good too. Less is more I guess, with only these I should be able to make nearly everything I want to make. These 50's fill a gap my native lens cannot make and I love these lenses. But they are the only non-native lenses I want. If more glass is added to my quiver, it will be because it fills a gap, but that will 100% surely be native glass. Like a zoom if I'd go on a safari, or the 20 because well... just because... :)

8. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    I only own the "Kit" lens with my E-PL1, the 14-42mm. The other lenses in my bag are all FD Fit, adapted to M4/3 except for a Sigma 10-20 EF Fit which is great for BMX/Mountain Bike videos. I have found working with manual focus and aperture far more rewarding than letting the lens do all the work. My 50mm f1.8 very rarely leaves the camera, but a couple of days back i aquired a Vivitar 35-70 f2.8 Macro Focus, which i am finding to be a great lens, and brilliant as a walkabout. Going fully manual has re-ignited my passion for photography as i had lost the spark just before selling off my Canon DSLR. Now using a totally different system seems to have put me back in the mood for just going out and shooting pictures.

9. pinholecam

pinholecam Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    I got to say that for me, that the turning...turning... on the aperture ring and focus ring got a sort of primitive attraction that appeals. :smile:

I had thought I would have no need for my MF Pentax lenses too with the 14, 20, 45 setup, but today, I just mounted a Takumar 35/3.5 on my G3 again... :rolleyes:

10. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    It still is a learning process for me going manual...To Everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)...There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)
    And a time to every purpose, under Heaven:smile:

11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    There's no wrong way to use the camera, as long as you're getting the desired effect. For some people, the right way will be with the factory kit lens, and never anything else. For others, it's a Leica or Zeiss 35mm lens. For others, like me, it's mainly the old lenses from my film SLR, which don't have a corresponding digital camera that they work with, because the mount is no longer produced (Canon FD, Konica AR, Minolta MD, Nikon non-AI, Exakta, etc). Although, I did end up getting a 14-42 and 40-150 lens when there were good deals on them, and I definitely see myself using them in the future.

If you aren't getting the desired effect with your photos, then you're using the camera wrong. If you're trying to be a professional wedding photographer with a GF3 and 14-42mm lens, and your pictures are either underexposed, blurry, or full of noise, then that would be an example of incorrect use. Another would be a beat up old lens that can barely produce an image anymore, when you're trying to get photos that are classically sharp, contrasty, and appealing.

12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Indeed...using a nice legacy lens has a very sensual appeal to it. I used to have some Super Takumars and those things felt great. I wasn't a fan of the big m42 adapter they use but they were cool.

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
  15. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    It really all depends on what you shoot. For me, I found that candids is my thing. So I need to get the shot fast. Been there, done that with the manual focus thing and I'm way over it (and yes, I do have quite a few manual lenses). And not having exif data is kinda a big deal for me actually... If you shoot with multiple manual lenses with different focal lengths, it's annoying not knowing what was taken with what.

I agree that manual focusing does feel "nice" with older legacy lenses; but I also think that it's a function of the manufacturers today cheaping out. The Panasonic 20mm and 14mm focusing rings are TERRIBLE. It's like trying to rub a dead frog around a tube coated with molasses. The Zuiko 50mm f/2 on the other hand, feels very nice. Not quite solid as a manual lens, but it's precise and still feels good to focus.

Good thing we all have options, eh? :2thumbs:

16. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
  17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Is it unpacking for you? Last I checked (and it was some months ago), the only EXIF GUI was for Windows. Let me know how you make out with it. Might have to switch my workflow!

18. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm kind of the opposite. I started with a P1 (later P2) using strictly legacy lenses. It was my first non point & shoot so using the physical manual focus was new and fun to me (focus by wire was not that satisfying).

Now I use only native lenses with my G3 because I found it so much easier to just poke at the screen and have what I want in focus.

Of course I have kept my legacy lenses, just in case I have a manual focus craving.

19. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Yeah, it looks like Windows only. It's working on my Win7 machine, saves me the hassle of building one myself :smile:. First impression: very nice tool, finally I can update the exif info I want to in a comfortable manner.

20. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I use both native and legacy lenses. When I'm photographing lenses in a studio setup I use Minolta macro lenses only. When I go out taking static subjects I have my bag loaded with a mixture, often the Panny 7-14 and 20 and Minolta 28, 50 and 100; I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a Minolta 20 someday because I often find the pictures of the Panny 20 too harsh in terms of contrast. When operating speed is important I use native lenses only.

I can't say how this useage is going to develop, it'll depend on subject matter I'll be interested in and future offerings of native lenses. And I'm enough of a gearhead to appreciate the luxurious feeling of smooth and playfree focussing. I feel that with an EVF I'm finally able to extract the maximum performance out of my lenses.