1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Native Lens with Aperture Ring?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ThomD, Jun 13, 2013.

1. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I was checking something in the manual for my G2 and I noticed this line:

In manual mode: "When you use a lens with an aperture ring, the aperture ring setting takes priority".

Did I miss something? Do any native lenses have an aperture ring?

2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Who said anything about "native?" Did you leave a sentence out of your quote?

3. There are a few old Panasonic 4/3 DSLR lenses that have an aperture ring and can be used with an adapter, but thankfully that idea died off before the first Micro 4/3 lenses were released.

4. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I did not, but the question remains. When I first read the line, because of the page layout, it wasn't clear to me that this was a discussion in the manual mode section, but a similar (more detailed) set of instructions appears in the Aperture mode section of the manual.

Of course, if an adapted lens stops down via a mechanical ring, that would apply too. Being in manual mode, the camera would not care what the actual f stop is. I just thought it was odd that the manual would explicitly discuss the behavior of 3rd party accessories - hence the question, are there native lenses that had rings?

Since Luckypenguin has answered the question re: 4/3 lenses via an adapter, it gives me a different appreciation for the adapter, if it was fully compatible with the lens ring. A moot point to be sure, I don't see my using any 4/3 lenses, but interesting just the same.

5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    And there are typically two kinds of adapters (or there are at least for my Nikon lenses): one type that has no control over aperture, and another that can be used with aperture-ring-less lenses with which you can control the aperture. I don't know if those exist for other lens mounts.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Technically, Voigtlander, Tokina, SLR Magic and a few others make 'native' m4/3 lenses that have aperture rings. But these lenses are native only in the sense that they don't need an adapter to be used on m4/3 bodies - they're purely mechanical and have no communication with the camera body (no AF, no EXIF info. recorded).