Native Lens with Aperture Ring?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ThomD, Jun 13, 2013.

1. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I was checking something in the manual for my G2 and I noticed this line:

In manual mode: "When you use a lens with an aperture ring, the aperture ring setting takes priority".

Did I miss something? Do any native lenses have an aperture ring?

2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Who said anything about "native?" Did you leave a sentence out of your quote?

3. There are a few old Panasonic 4/3 DSLR lenses that have an aperture ring and can be used with an adapter, but thankfully that idea died off before the first Micro 4/3 lenses were released.

4. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I did not, but the question remains. When I first read the line, because of the page layout, it wasn't clear to me that this was a discussion in the manual mode section, but a similar (more detailed) set of instructions appears in the Aperture mode section of the manual.

Of course, if an adapted lens stops down via a mechanical ring, that would apply too. Being in manual mode, the camera would not care what the actual f stop is. I just thought it was odd that the manual would explicitly discuss the behavior of 3rd party accessories - hence the question, are there native lenses that had rings?

Since Luckypenguin has answered the question re: 4/3 lenses via an adapter, it gives me a different appreciation for the adapter, if it was fully compatible with the lens ring. A moot point to be sure, I don't see my using any 4/3 lenses, but interesting just the same.

5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    And there are typically two kinds of adapters (or there are at least for my Nikon lenses): one type that has no control over aperture, and another that can be used with aperture-ring-less lenses with which you can control the aperture. I don't know if those exist for other lens mounts.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Technically, Voigtlander, Tokina, SLR Magic and a few others make 'native' m4/3 lenses that have aperture rings. But these lenses are native only in the sense that they don't need an adapter to be used on m4/3 bodies - they're purely mechanical and have no communication with the camera body (no AF, no EXIF info. recorded).