1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Native lens not focusing when mounted with extension tubes

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Lauzers, May 17, 2011.

1. Lauzers

Lauzers Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2011
    Hi All,

Got some extension tubes to try out some macro shots. The tubes work great with all legacy lenses i got, it zooms and focus accordingly. However when I mount any Lumix G lenses (20, 14-45, 45-200), i found that the focusing ring does not focus at all.

I've also check that with electrical connection (no tubes attached), and switch to MF, the focus ring works fine. Is this a case where focus is disable when there are no electrical connection?

Any help appreciated, thank you.

2. travisennis

travisennis Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2010
    Indiana
    Most micro four-thirds lenses use what is called focus-by-wire. It's all electronic and the focus ring has no direct, mechanical influence on the lens's focus mechanism. The only exception is the Voigtlander 25mm.

3. I doubt the extension tubes have any electrical contacts. I wasn't aware of any "official" Micro 4/3 extensions tubes that retained control over the electronic functions of the lens, so there is literally nothing you can adjust on the lens itself.

4. Lauzers

Lauzers Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2011
    AH, thanks for the prompt responses. I did read some where about focus-by-wire.

The extension tubes i got was a cheap toy from ebay, you are right penguin, i highly doubt there is a sophisticated extension tubes with smart interchangable tube length that maintain electrical signal to control the lens.....

and yes those tubes are quite poorly made, after a few turns and ring swapping, the thread starting to strip, and metal shavings can be seen INSIDE the barrel... it is what you pay for a toy.

Thanks again for clarifying my questions.

5. Dude, be careful! Don't let that stuff get inside your camera.

This is also true of cheaper lens adapters;

*PUBLIC HEALTH WARNING*

Make sure new lens adapters have been properly de-burred before putting them anywhere near a camera.

• Like Like x 1
  6. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    A ghastly image of some swarf-in-shadow raking over the real element of a like-new lens just shot across my mind; awful, just awful.