1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Native hyperprime/noktons vs adapted 50mm 1.4 (w/Lens Turbo)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by raschmidt, Sep 21, 2016.

1. raschmidt

raschmidt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2014
    Chengdu, China
    Rob
    I am looking to get a good/fun portrait lens and have been looking around at different lenses. I have tried the Voigtlander 25mm 0.95, but chose to get a Zhongyi 25mm 0.95 instead (which I gave to my gf for use on her E-M10). I am wanting something closer to an 85mm FF eq lens....so between 35mm and 50mm on the E-M1. I was considering the SLR Magic 50mm T 0.95 or the Voigtlander 42.5mm 0.95. But I am wondering if I should consider the Zuiko 50mm and an adapter instead? It costs a lot less money, so I am wondering if their is some big trade-off. Since I'm looking for very shallow DOF, I am not too critical about sharpness, vignetting, or CA. I want something to have unique and fun images.

Would the Zuiko 50mm be a better choice? Also, would it be reasonable to pair it with both a OM > EF adapter and use a ZY Lens Turbo? I think that would give about a 35mm f/1 lens?

I have seen many questions/threads about different lenses, but haven't found much for comparison between the expensive hyper-primes/nokton lenses vs adapted lenses.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, the Zhongyi is probably a lot sharper than a 30-50 year old lens, especially wide-open.
    However, sharpness isn't everything, especially in portraiture.

I'm not familiar with the OM 50/1.4, but if you're not already invested in OM, the Minolta Rokkor 58/1.4 is decent and quite cheap ($40-60USD). Make sure the aperture works, and note supposedly only the final version is compatible with the Lens Turbo II.
    It's 42mm with the Lens Turbo II. (84eq)
    I have one and it works.

I also have the Rokkor 58/1.2 but it is much rarer and expensive. Supposedly it has better bokeh but I haven't compared them yet, and the aperture is stuck on my 1.4.

I'm also considering getting the Rokkor 45/2, also cheap and supposedly fairly sharp wide open. Boosted, it'd be 32.5/1.4.

However, there are more flexible mounts for reducers... Iirc Nikon Canon EF may be most flexible... I think you can adapt many other mounts to Nikon Canon, and then use a Nikon Canon->mu43 reducer.
    This also has the advantage of being able to boost lenses such as the new Samyang 85mm (fast, sharp, $300) if you get it in Nikon Canon mount instead of mu43.

Barry

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  3. raschmidt

raschmidt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2014
    Chengdu, China
    Rob
    I have a minolta 45mm f/2 for my X...370 i think. I considered getting an adapter for that but also wondered about the lens booster, however while sharpness isn't everything I noticed my copy is pretty soft even at f/4. Could be another issue but I am not sure.

I'll definitely check into the Nikon adapters/boosters instead. It gets quite confusing when you consider the adapted lenses and speed boosters, but it seems like the Voigtlander and SLR Magic lenses are really expensive compared to some other options.

4. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Btw, Nikon and Canon lenses are often more expensive, but check out the possibilities...
    You can adapt OM to Nikon, but not MD/SR.

5. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    the voigtlander 42.5 is probably tied with the 17.5 for sharpness in that line of lenses. They're both excellent. I find the 25 a little soft, which can be nice for portraits. I'm a fan.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    You can't adapt OM to Nikon F, F mount has a 0.5mm longer flange distance and is narrower in diameter.

You can adapt almost everything to Canon EF however.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    FWIW, If going to Minolta Rokkor lens - the MD 50mm F/1.7 is my favorite - my copy is much sharper than my 45 F/2 and better than my 58 F/1.4 - and they are cheap - $20 will get you a very good one.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    OK, thanks.

I did see an adapter, but now I see it has a lens inside.

Is EF easier to work with than the FD mount?

9. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    There are couple of adapters on eBay which need you to remove the old mount and screw in a new one to the lens (such as Pixco Camera Adapter For Olympus OM to Nikon D750 D800 D7100 D5300 D90 D5500). I have not used them, but a buddy of mine has adapted a couple of old OM primes which he is using on his D90/D7200. AFAIK, there is no vignetting on DX.

@OP, have you considered the native m43 O45 (or P42.5/1.7)? They may not meet your criteria for unique, but I really like the O45. And the image samples from the Panasonic look very good too.

10. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    There would be no vignetting on DX as they're FX lenses, the main downside is you can only use them on Nikon and you have no aperture control, and it only works with a handful of lenses.
    I prefer to retain the use of my lenses on my OM bodies where they're fully functional.

In theory FD is easier to adapt to as it has a shorter flange distance however you're generally stuck with adapters made years ago as new ones are not being made. On the other hand due to the large diameter and short flange distance it's exceedingly easy to adapt almost anything to EF.

Edit: I myself own an EF-m4/3 speedbooster however I don't use any of my fully manual glass on it, I prefer automagic for the most part. I have kept almost all of my OM glass and have a good selection if I felt the need however the thing I miss most is automatic stop down (lacking autofocus doesn't deter me anywhere near as much).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  11. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    I have a SMC Pentax 50/1.4 lens. I use it often in combination with a RJ (also called: Roxen) focal reducer. With the RJ the lens is supposed to be sharper, but it is still a 40 year old design.
    Dont expect 121 omni directional hyperfast AF points. There are none.
    Well, you know AF is for pussies, real men focus manually.
    Seriously, this slows down my workflow, forces to think ahead.
    Additional bonus is that Samyang has many lenses in PK (pentax) mount.
    Some of them are on my wishlist. Curious how they will interact with my focal reducer.

Good luck with your choice.

• Like Like x 1
  12. raschmidt

raschmidt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2014
    Chengdu, China
    Rob
    I currently have the 45mm Oly. It's a perfectly fine lens and I have no serious problems with it....it's just........kinda boring.

The images are sharp, bokeh is decent. However I almost completely stopped using it because....
    - The Zhongyi and Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95's have much much better contrast and colors (IMO)
    - They have much better and more bokeh (sharpness isn't as good but don't care, had bokeh)
    - the Autofocus is frustrating on the E-M1 sometimes, especially when taking pictures in the dark or at night. I end up wanting to use MF anyways so, the AF on this lens isn't important to me. Part of this is because I don't like the face detection on cameras. I often get it focusing on a persons shirt (which might have someones face on it) or something in the background. It's not awful just....occasionally it screws up repeatedly and I don't want to deal with it. After last years update the Focus peaking works great.

I'm thinking he Voigtlander 42.5 might be the best choice. The price of the OM 50mm 1.4 and the MD 50mm 1.7 are cheap enough, I will probably pick up those at the same time. If I get the results I want from the OM or MD I can send the Voigtlander back.

Also thanks to Barry for mentioning the Samyang lenses. I always saw the Rokinon and Samyang lenses but thought they are built for FF DSLR's only. Some of those lenses are pretty compact and it looks like the reviews are really good. 85mm is a bit too narrow for me but the 50mm 1.2 sure looks interesting.

13. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    Remember that the adopted lens showcase forum can show you samples of some of these lenses on mft bodies, it can be a nice way to see if a lens renders in a way that appeals to you

14. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    FYI, you don't have to use face detect to use AF for native lenses. I actually turn it off most of the time.

As I said before, its not unique by any means, but I personally liked the O45/1.8 better than the several 50/1.8 film lenses I tried.

15. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I agree the 45mm hunts a lot at night. The 17/1.8 is much better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    If the 45/1.8 is kind of boring and you want something for "unique and fun images", I recommend Helios 44-2. If you want unique and fun images and minimum DOF and modern high contrast and reasonably sharp corners, then the Voigtlander 42.5.

...adding: IMO the Samyangs are excellent for shallow DOF, modern high contrast, sharp corners, and smooth bokeh, but probably not for unique and fun images.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. raschmidt

raschmidt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2014
    Chengdu, China
    Rob
    I went with an OM 50mm 1.4 on an adapter. Lens is great although at 1.4 it's super soft - I will probably get a Lens Turbo from zhongyi and use an EF adapter as 50mm is a bit too much. Overall pretty happy with it, the colors don't look as good as the Zhongyi 25mm but it's a bargain even if you count the price of the lens turbo.

18. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I think I should partially take this back...
    I took my 45/1.8 out this week at night and it had little trouble. Still not as good as the O17 (and possibly the PL42.5 which I have only shot for a few minutes recently), but it did seem to work better than when I tried in August 2015 (firmware 3.x). I don't know of any focus improvements (other than stacking) in 4.x though, so it may have just been that the lighting was terrible last time... it definitely was very dark.

19. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I had pl 15, pl25,pl 42.5 1.2.
    Sold all for the sigma 18-35 with canon Ef mount and never looked back.

I know what you mean about wanting some character vs clinical. To each their own.

Good luck

20. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just get a 42.5mm f1.7, save a bunch of money and hassle, and don't be a DOF weenie.

• Agree Agree x 1