Native Habitat Portraiture. Michelle

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Alanroseman, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello,

It's a nice lazy Sunday, I thought I'd shoot a few with the Minolta MD Rokkor 45mm as there is no thread for it in adapted lenses. I did a few test shots in my office, then strolled out to the kitchen, which happens to be Michelle's "native habitat".

Heres a quick shot with the 45mm Rokkor. I like this lens, and I love my wife...

GF1 / MD Rokkor 45mm f2.0 / ISO 100

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/58555870@N04/5442279025/" title="Michelle 1/2 length MD 45mm WB by Alan Roseman, on Flickr"> 5442279025_20c5f575a6_b. "1024" height="690" alt="Michelle 1/2 length MD 45mm WB" /></a>

• Like Like x 5
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Is that Kimchi? (Okay now I'm sterotyping ... lol). Looks a bit blue on my laptop monitor. I'm in the patio, great day today. Mary Lou and I are having a BBQ, you and Michelle are invited. Kabobs, marinated Tri-Tip, Chicken, Shrimp, Pineapple, Peppers, Onions, Shrooms all skewered and grilled. I hope you like California wine and Mexican beer, (margaritas upon request).

Very nice image BTW. Your cookery looks similar to mine.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Nice shot of a very pretty lady. I like the colour and overall look a lot.

All the best,

Colin

4. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Gary,

You crack me up, and next visit to CA. I'm going to buy lunch for Mary Lou and yourself.

You're not stereotyping, my entire house has the unmistakable "scent" of kimchi several times a week.

Michelle's (her Korean name is Younghe) sister, Hyunsuk, is driving in from Up State NY later this afternoon. Michelle, in the true Korean tradition, has been cooking since the cows got up this morning. She's making two dishes. Cincinnati Chili, which contains Coco, coffee, cumin seeds, three kinds of beans, brown sugar and lord knows what else, people fight over it. As well as Korean beef and turnip soup, with the ever present kimchi and Ban Chan, there's also cast iron skillet corn bread with fresh corn kernels..

Why don;t you guys put on your galoshes and come over here?

Yup on the blue. I sent the first with no WB correction, WB worked well on the skin tone (more stereotyping) but seemed to ad a slightly blue cast.

where did my darkroom go?

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Anya Aysayo, but leaving for a quick bike ride at the beach while the meats marinade. Man that stuff sounds good. I am well aware of the Korean custom of serving more food than one can possible manage (I lived in Korea for five months). BTW- we also have the same waffle maker. I think we both like Costco way too much.

But then again, tri-tip marinaded in a 90+ rated Cabernet Sauvignon with Italian Basil and Rosemary from the garden is hard to pass-up. Not that you don't have a very nice house (and you do!), but our green backyard with Hummingbirds humming and Butterflies buttering ... is also a nice dinner environment.

I'll take a rain check.

Gary

6. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Gary,

It has become apparent that you are a wuss.....

Hummingbirds, flowers, fresh veggies... greenery. Who needs it?

My yard has starving deer staggering around eating shrubbery in 18" of hard top snow. Who needs hummingbirds...

Really. Wish I was there. I'm going to tell Michelle you lived in Korea, and she'll have 20 questions.

The first will be where?

Alan

7. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I don't understand this exaggeration of New England weather. You are both welcome to use my picnic table. There is even a chiminella to take the chill out of the air. Naturally, you will need to take the tree clipping off the table.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Hikari,

Thanks for the offer. I think I'll stay home.

Look worse than my yard.

9. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    It ain't just a yard, we got miles of the stuff. But that is what makes Maine summers so nice.

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Pusan and Seoul (Myung-Dong).
    G

PS- I am a wuss ... don't like cold ... I like my ice in a glass or a cone.

11. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Ahhh, you're in Maine. The land of two seasons, winter and 4th of July!

12. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Hey! We got lots of seasons. The first three months are winter, then mud season, then black fly season, then tick season, then mosquito season, then leaf season, and the last three months are winter. Once thing is sure, we don't wear out our picnic tables from use very quickly.

13. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Hikari,

From one New Englander to another... LOL.

I am familiar with all of those seasons.... For those who aren't native "salters", Next up is mud season!

Followed closely back black fly, and we can't forget the famous No-see-ums!

14. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    LOL. A New Yorker once asked me what no-see-ums looked like. I told him I only know what they feel like.

But nice portrait. Which reminds me that we have something else in common, in a way. My wife just served dinner--sushi, miso soup, tofu, and green tea. But we do eat local foods. We still have frozen blackberries from our summer harvest in the freezer--although, right at this moment, I am not sure why I bought a freezer. And this is my first year to make hard cider. I started in October and I am still waiting for the first fermentation to end. Perhaps it will be ready for this summer's blackberry harvest.

For all my complaints, I can't think of a better place to live. And the snowshoeing in Florida is horrible.

15. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Hikari,

Where in Maine do you live? Southern, Northern really really northern?

16. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I hear you Gary. I have a place in South Carolina, every day in this weather I get up, look outside, and wonder what I'm doing here...

Michelle is heading down on Tuesday for a week. I'll be here, listening to client requests etc.

At least it looks like I've made a new acquaintance here on the board. Hikari is up in Maine... which he freely admits to.

MAybe when the mud season ends Michelle and I will try to dig him out and have lunch with him and his wife, sounds like she can cook also..

17. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I am in the western part of central Maine--in a small town between Lewiston and Augusta.

18. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Well, I hope it stars warming up for both of us soon. Stays like this, we'll planting on the 4th.

I miss my garden...

19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Back, just slapped the kebobs on the BBQ. Hey, we have glaciers in California ... that should count for something.

Gary

PS- Is 5:46pm ... sitting in the patio watching the setting sun paint the clouds ... a bit of Jazz on the speakers, the sound of running water from the fountains, a splash of California cabernet sauvignon (90+) ... talking photography with friends ... ahhhhh ... the good life. (about 65F) Gonna take a long ride tomorrow.
    G

PPS- While it may hit near 80F today, tonight will be in the mid 40sF.
    G

20. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I hope you are joking. I have two heirloom apple trees on order and I don't think they are going to wait until July to send them. Oddly enough, it has been a warm winter--usually in January it gets too cold to snow.