1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Native American

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by caimi, Oct 7, 2012.

1. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Pine Creek Ravine Nature Preserve is located in Southern Illinois, Near Chester. It contains the largest body of prehistoric rock art in Illinois. The Late Woodland and Mississippian people created these petroglyphs and pictographs between 500 AD and 1500 AD. Here are a few examples I photographed today, 10-7-12.

glyph2.

glyph.

glyph4.

glyph6.

Pan GH2 Pan 14-45mm

• Like Like x 7
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Nice series here - thanks for sharing!

3. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Very nice scenery!

4. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Thanks for the images.
    Several years ago I went on the Maturango Museum tour Maturango Museum | Ridgecrest, CA 93555 to see the petroglyphs. It's on the Naval Weapons base in the middle of the desert (China Lake). Well worth the visit if you're in the area (and a US citizen).

5. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I would like to see the Maturango petroglyphs. One of the amazing things about the Piney Creek Ravine rock art is that it is found after about a mile hike through a corn field and then to the bottom of the ravine and the only thing to alert you of the presence of this pre-historic art are a couple of small signs posted by the Illinois DNR. It feels as if you have stepped back in time as you are surrounded by nature and a bubbling stream and you see these magnificent and mysterious rock carvings and drawings. Of course, the remoteness also presents a problem in that there is also a hundred years or more of graffitti scrawled all around the ancient drawings. I saw visitor's signatures dated as far back as 1913 and 1916 on a recent trip. No respect for the ancient souls who inhabit this place. All things considered, it is a wonder the pre-historic art has survived.

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Great set, love the detail. :thumbup: