National Geographic Found

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by danimal, Jun 23, 2013.

1. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    I stumbled on this blog from National Geographic where they're posting photos from their 125 year history.

From the About page:

There are some pretty fantastic photos.
  2. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Thanks for the link. Definitely some great shots.
  3. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    I love this tumblr. They post a photo or two every weekday. My only complaint is the descriptions are sometimes vague... I want to know more!
  4. Some of them , absolutely powerful.. others give such a vivid view of a time lost.. all of them show wonderful talent that NatGeo commanded. My favorites are the ones that show a simple view of daily life.... Example, Girl with grapes in Germany. The ladies drinking at the drinking fountain... Scottish gamekeeper...

Thanks for pointing me to them. When I was kid, I spent so much time wondering about the future. I was absolutely intrigued by the sudden rush of technology (hence being a software developer) and I also hated History classes. Now I spend a lot of time, wondering about the simply daily lives of peoples' past and study History like its a never ending story.

PS> There are a few that have that distinct look of Kodachrome. Going to really miss seeing those prints... in the modern world.

Also... I started google searches against the photographers. Many lived interesting lives.
  5. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    Excellent shots, history telling at best!
  6. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    Thanks for the link.. it is so great to see the old them
  7. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    The about page also mentions that sometimes they don’t have dates or details and is asking for anyone that does to contact them. That's a bummer.
  8. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Indeed. The feel of film and Kodachrome specifically really hit me while going through them.

Awesome idea. I’ll keep that for when I need something to do. :)
  9. The first one that caught my eye was the Geisha girl 1927. Seems so early for color. So early that I first thought that it was a hand colored piece.

So I looked up the photographer...

"Franklin Price Knott was a trailblazing photographer — one of the first to have his color images appear in National Geographic magazine. "
  10. thaiusmle

thaiusmle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2013