National Geographic Found

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by danimal, Jun 23, 2013.

1. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    I stumbled on this blog from National Geographic where they're posting photos from their 125 year history.

http://natgeofound.tumblr.com

From the About page:

There are some pretty fantastic photos.

2. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Thanks for the link. Definitely some great shots.

3. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    I love this tumblr. They post a photo or two every weekday. My only complaint is the descriptions are sometimes vague... I want to know more!

4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Some of them , absolutely powerful.. others give such a vivid view of a time lost.. all of them show wonderful talent that NatGeo commanded. My favorites are the ones that show a simple view of daily life.... Example, Girl with grapes in Germany. The ladies drinking at the drinking fountain... Scottish gamekeeper...

Thanks for pointing me to them. When I was kid, I spent so much time wondering about the future. I was absolutely intrigued by the sudden rush of technology (hence being a software developer) and I also hated History classes. Now I spend a lot of time, wondering about the simply daily lives of peoples' past and study History like its a never ending story.

PS> There are a few that have that distinct look of Kodachrome. Going to really miss seeing those prints... in the modern world.

Also... I started google searches against the photographers. Many lived interesting lives.

5. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Excellent shots, history telling at best!

6. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    Thanks for the link.. it is so great to see the old shots..love them

7. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    The about page also mentions that sometimes they don’t have dates or details and is asking for anyone that does to contact them. That's a bummer.

8. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    Indeed. The feel of film and Kodachrome specifically really hit me while going through them.

Awesome idea. I’ll keep that for when I need something to do. :)

9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The first one that caught my eye was the Geisha girl 1927. Seems so early for color. So early that I first thought that it was a hand colored piece.

So I looked up the photographer...

"Franklin Price Knott was a trailblazing photographer — one of the first to have his color images appear in National Geographic magazine. "

10. thaiusmle

thaiusmle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2013
    Exceptional