1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Nasty purple noise

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zerotiu, Dec 10, 2011.

1. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    Last night I realize that my high ISO started to produce purple noise. I usually shoot in monotone mode so I don't realize this before. Is this normal? Or I can't change this? I always turn off my noise filter and standard noise reduction. It seems that turning off the noise reduction doesn't change anything. These are the examples :

[​IMG]

image.

2. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

This is chroma noise. It is a normal consequence of using high ISO. It can be helped to some degree by noise reduction (especially in post processing, i.e. Nik Dfine). I have the e-p3 as well and I don't think I get quite so much chroma noise as you are showing here in my JPEGS with noise reduction on normal. Also, the Noise Filter is only active on very long exposures, so you would not see it's effect at 1/30 as in the first shot.

I try to avoid ISO above 800 or 1000 with the e-p3, and when I do go above, I shoot JPEG+RAW to have the most options for noise reduction in PP. Also, a lens with aperture <2 can help you shoot in low light at lower ISO. Your 14mm is pretty bright at 2.5, but even more speed will give you more options.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pawzitiv

pawzitiv Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2010
    Calgary
    zerotiu,

I can't answer if if this is typical of the E-P3 but getting good blacks in a high-ISO colour image straight for the camera is tall order for most cameras. Best results will always come from a RAW file (obviously with post-processing) but even the out-of-camera JPG files are salvageable. I took the liberty of cleaning up your sample cropped JPG image using LightRoom:

20111210-GX1-E-P3 image.

• Like Like x 1
  4. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    Now that you've mentioned it. I think I have the old version installer of Nik dfine somewhere. I think this will help! Thanks for mentioning it!:biggrin:

I saw photo of your dog and I think the light from the sun has the effect on the photo. dark object lit by strong light shot using high ISO has less noise than dark object lit by weak light.

5. pawzitiv

pawzitiv Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2010
    Calgary
    I largely agree with you but an image taken in weak lighting doesn't necessarily display amplified colour noise, just more luminance noise. By my observations, colour noise is where newer sensor technology seems to make improvements.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Psh, you should see the chroma noise from my old DSLRs! lol.

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Key word here being "old" :wink:

8. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    I remember when the first time I used digital canon 10d :rofl: . It looked like at that time I didn't even think about what the hell ISO is :biggrin:.

Now, I don't care about noise at all... because I've found my DFINE!!:tongue:
    I totally forgot about this apps (although I use silverefex). Thanks again grantb!!!