NASA's Curiosity Rover landing shortly!

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by RnR, Aug 6, 2012.

1. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    • Like Like x 2
  2. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

3. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Heh - indeed we do! I'm more excited over this than anything on the Olympic channel :D

4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    WOOOOO! \o/ :D

Landing successful! Stirring stuff!

5. bob madison

bob madison Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    very cool.

6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Yay!!! Proud of my colleagues at JPL, some of whom are working on this mission!

7. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    Very cool! Loved the shadow picture.

8. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

It's 10:20 the next day where I am. Just got up after staying up through the landing and news conference. I got tired of all their whooping and high fiving but was very excited and proud to witness this accomplishment.

I was ready for them to fail as the complexity of this landing was so great. It all happened so fast it surprised me. I also could not help but be aware, as they were calling out the landing events, that it had all happened 14 minutes prior to our witnessing it as the radio signal takes that long to get to earth.

At the same time I can't help seeing this mission as somewhat futile. We are borrowing 40 cents of every dollar we spend in this country and a space program seems a bit like profligate spending. I must admit however that we can not close down NASA as if we do ... we would never be able to rebuild it.

9. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I hear ya, and while I'm not one of your tax payers, I hope that America will keep NASA busy with small cheap projects that are high risk but also high payoff in the science world. Putting this rover on the surface cost about $2.5B. Which is small potatoes for NASA from what I understand.

11. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    First colour images are coming from Curiosity now...

g-cernan6a_joes.

:)

• Like Like x 1