Naming the SD Card

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by slothead, Aug 18, 2012.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    So I have a new E-M5 and I christened an SD card in it and noticed that when I plugged it into the iMac it said "NO NAME". So I gave it a name while in the iMac. I gave it some sort of Oly OM-D name or something like that. Everything was fine and I ejected the card. Then I reformatted it before using it again for other images and the next time I plugged the SD card into the iMac, it was back to "NO NAME." Does formatting not give the card a camera specific name like my Nikons? And if it does, why doesn't my iMac acknowledge it?
  2. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Tom, formatting the card wipes any data (like the drive name). Now that the card is formatted, you can name it in the Mac. The last time I named a card was with the latest version of OS X 10.5. I haven't named anything with Lion yet. My previous experience is that the OS didn't accept names which included spaces or symbols. There may a limit to the number of characters. The one on my desktop has 11, but I don't know how much more it accepts.
    Good luck.

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Absolutely normal, nothing to fix. The card name is "NO NAME"...have yet to find a way to change it.
  4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Thanks guys. I'll report what I learn. And by the way my iMac is now running Mountain Lion (although I have yet to use any of ML's new features). I'm still running Lion on my MacBook Pro.
  5. michaeln

michaeln Guest

My iMac running Mountain Lion does the same thing. Even if I format the card in the camera and then give the card a name with Disk Utility on the iMac, next time I reformat the card (which I do every time I put the card back in the camera), it goes back to "NO NAME".
  6. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Me too. NO NAME
  7. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    hey none of them have names ,call them whatever you like.
  8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    ACTUALLY, when you pop the card into the E-M5 it will rename the card to "NO NAME" again even WITHOUT formatting it. You just pop in the card in the camera and it will get renamed.

Anyway, I prefer naming the cards on the card's label, so I don't need to put the card into a computer to know what it is.
  9. adriandw

adriandw New to Mu-43

Apr 15, 2014
    I went through various recommended ways of renaming a card under OS X (Mavericks)
    For example, using diskutil
    or as recommended by wikianswers

Both appeared to work.
    I could take the card out of my MacBook, reinsert it and the new name would persist.
    But when I replaced the card in my Olympus E-M1, the next time I mounted it into the Mac, it was called NO NAME again.

Eventually I resorted to mounting the SD card in Windows.
    I renamed it by clicking on Properties in Windows.
    The name showed up as blank.
    I typed its desired new name into the empty window, hit enter, and it acquired its new label.

This new name does survive after the card has been put back into the E-M1.

So I'll have to rename SD cards using Windows until I can figure out a way to do it with OS X.
  10. rlebleu

rlebleu New to Mu-43

Apr 15, 2014
    I have an E-PM2, and found the same issue.

Running Mavericks, I formatted the SD card with diskutil using Microsoft format, with PM2 as the name. Worked fine, and stuck. But reformatting the SD card in the camera will reset the name to NO NAME. So I only erase images in the camera, not format.

Hope this works for you...

11. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    No such problem with Windows (8.1), its just another "storage device".

As I understand it, a card is only good for so many "formats".
    I just delete the files 90% of the time.
  12. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    It's pronounced "Naw Namay" - it's French for "super awesome memory card." Googled it ;)