1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Name that photographer

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by chicks, Jul 6, 2012.

1. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    In addition to thrift-store lenses, I also collect thrift-store LP's - sometimes just for the cover art.

Anyone know whose photos these two are?

2. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    No idea, but interesting photos.
    I wonder why these cities are being represented by fat men with food items?
    I can't detect anything Roman about the first one but the second does at least have the beret and cig in mouth going on, but alas no string of onions round the neck.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Cartier-Bresson?

And the fat man is Michel LeGrand, a jazz legend.

4. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    Both LP's are Michel LeGrand's, but he was much better looking than either of the men on the covers. :)

Cartier-Bresson is certainly a possibility for the photographer, will try to find a good archive of his work online.

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm not sure I'd say LeGrand was "much better looking" than those fine rotund gentlement, but he was certainly thinner.

What makes you think that both of these photographs were shot by a single photographer? Although both these images are in the "street photography" style that Cartier-Bresson favored and although he and LeGrand are countrymen and (roughly) contemporaries, I would personally be quite surprised to learn that HC-B took either photograph.

I would guess that most likely the name of the photographer of those images is lost to time.

6. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    I don't know that they were taken by the same photographer, could be two different photographers. Probably both French, I'm guessing. Wish Columbia had given the photographer(s) credit somewhere on the LP's, but can't find anywhere. I find the photos to be quite compelling.

7. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Hang on a second, the Holiday in Rome cover is credited to Bernard Cole and it was shot in New York.

8. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    Cool, thanks! How'd you find that?

9. yeos

yeos Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    Brussels, Belgium
    Yves
    Agree with the fact that Michel Legrand is better looking that the fat man on the pictures. He was at this time quite younger too.

From my point of view, the photographer can't be HCB, as the shooting angle for the first picture is not his style and there is no "decisive moment" or geometric composition. Last point, Cartier Bresson is well know to shoot only with 35mm Leica and NEVER reframe the shoot .. here we have square 1:1 framing, ... not his style, definitively.

10. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
  11. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    He's credited on the lower left of the photograph. The photo is titled "Shoemaker's Lunch" and it was actually taken in Newark, NJ in 1944. I would take a closer look at that second album to see if there is a photo credit.

12. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Google image search 'visually similar':

[​IMG]

My first guess was, Martin Parr. Somehow it always is Martin Parr.

13. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
  14. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Damn, are you wearing glasses? :smile:

15. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    Need to get these bifocals checked. :rolleyes:

16. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Actually, yes, I am. But as you can tell by my first response (when I said that the photographers were unlikely to be identified) it took me a couple of views before I spotted that credit.

17. Not every great photograph was taken by a famous photographer.