Discussion in 'Accessories' started by lump_a_charcoal, Jul 13, 2012.

1. lump_a_charcoal

lump_a_charcoal Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 12, 2012
    Yes, another bag thread!

Sorry for wearing out the internets by asking this, but I am kind of stumped.

I have spent many hours over the last couple of days trying to find a bag setup that will suit my needs.

I have am EM-5, as well as a couple of other lenses (1 is a 4/3 40-150).

I am looking for a backpack. Easy, you might say, there are plenty out there!
    You would be correct, but they are all to suit full size DSLRs, or so it seems from my countless searches.

I basically want a smallish backpack that will allow me to carry my camera, gear, a book and maybe an iPad. Maybe a small gorilla tripod also. I also intend to take it riding, so an outdoorsy style is a big plus here.

I will be travelling for about 5 weeks through America, so it needs to suit day trips also.

I guess my options are buy a full size DSLR backpack, or buy a smaller backpack and use an insert of sorts. Does this sound right?

Like I said, sorry for starting another bag thread, but I promise I have searched a heap!

Thanks y'all.

ps can anyone recommend a good soft cover for an Em-5?

EDIT - Do sling style packs stay where they are put OK? Would they suit MTB riding?
  2. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

When it comes to backpacks I always liked the Kata Brand.
  3. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    The best backpack I've had (and I've had many) is my F-Stop Guru. I used it with the medium ICU (camera insert) with my D300, and the small ICU works well with my E-M5 rig. It's built for outdoor use- it's an internal frame pack, water resistant, and with the small insert has plenty of room for other gear. The water bladder pocket can hold up to a 15" laptop if you're not using a bladder. Pricy, but I'll never need another backpack. I also have their Tilopa which is huge, but is great for hauling a camera on a camping trip.
  4. lump_a_charcoal

Jul 12, 2012
    The Guru does look like it ticks most of the boxes!

Thanks for the replies guys.
  5. lump_a_charcoal

Jul 12, 2012
    Well I ended up getting a Kata DC-435 DL, and a Domke f803.

Not quite what I was originally after, but will do the job.