n00b corner: Adapting lenses for dummies

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by craniac, Aug 4, 2013.

1. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane
    So I bought a 40-150mm Olympus Zuiko lens and an adapter, and am trying it out on my GX1. I followed the camera's advice and switched to "take pictures with no lens" because the camera didn't recognize it.

My problem is focusing. When I try to focus the lens manually (or otherwise) nothing happens. Everything remains blurry. I can get some accidental focus in some situations by adjusting the zoom a little. Am I doing something obviously wrong or is there a reason BH Photo had this on closeout?

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Start out by trying to focus on something at infinity - like the moon, or some other far away object. I would also start out with the aperture at it's most wide open setting, and the zoom at it's longest focal length.. It should look focused in the viewfinder, and on the picture

If you set the lens to infinity, the object is very far away, and the photo still comes out out of focus, you have an issue. The issue could be the lens, or it could be the adapter, or the way the lens is mounted on the adapter.

3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    You have to set the camera to MF if you want to use manual focus. It's an electronic lens and the focus ring is not mechanical, it's focus by wire.

4. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane
    Thanks, I think I bought a non-electronic adapter so I guess I'll just return the lens at this point.

5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Sounds like you bought the Zuiko 4/3 40-150 zoom for the DSLR bodies. It needs an electronic adapter to work, because the lens motor still turns the focus gears and power is need to do that, even when you turn the barrel.

Yes. Even though there are inexpensive electronic adapters that will fit your camera (see the newer posts in this thread),you are far better off getting a Panasonic zoom because it has built in OIS.