n

• Thread starter Deleted member 36320
  • Start date

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Sports.
To prove to myself that I can still do it.
And to show the kids that they don't know as much as they think they know.
And to "try" to increase the level of quality of the yearbook photos.
That has been frustrating, cuz some kids just don't care.​

Last edited:

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I am mostly in the camp of recording things I find interesting and putting the pictures in my web site, and share them on facebook. I also try to produce a printed calendar each year for family. I don't worry about 'art' all that much. I mostly shoot in 'P' mode. My main two lenses are the Olympus 12-40mm and now the Olympus 12-200mm (previously Olympus 14-150mm).

When I can go to them, I love photographing renaissance faires, steampunk events, and science fiction conventions. Until 2018, I was the videographer for small renaissance faires that my friends directed (I also took still photos on the side). My friends kind of got burned out, so there was no faire in 2019 before the pandemic hit. I don't know if they plan on restarting the faire business in 2022.

Even if I'm not an official photographer, I also go to renaissance faires as a costumed paytron (sometimes known as a playtron), and take various pictures of the performers.

When I do steampunk events, I go with a steampunk camera (modern camera dressed up with bellows and such to harken back to the old bellows cameras). My icon photo is with one of the steampunk cameras. Many of my pictures are of people photographing me an my camera.

Last edited:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I just needed an expensive hobby, and I don't have as much time for golf!

More seriously, but still related, I enjoy the creativity and technical aspects of it. Plus it also helps me get outside and take the kids with me. My oldest is now starting to show an interest, and the next in line wants a camera for his birthday. If they are going to use a device with a screen, it's going to have a shutter button on it.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
What do you like to photograph the most? People, buildings, wildlife...anything that grabs you attention?
All of those. Long ago, especially before digital it was more to document things like trips, get togethers, etc. Once I got into digital my interests and experimentation expanded, but for a long while my kids were a primary subject, especially with youth sports, and family vacations. I also enjoy documenting interesting things around my town and nearby towns especially if I think or know that thing is going away soon or changing. And being in Massachusetts one of my favorite subjects are old cemeteries both for documenting old stuff, exploring the old "artwork" carved in stone, and for occasional forays into trying to be artistic especially if I happen to have my infrared camera with me. Oh ya, I like to shoot IR as well.

My downfall, for lack of a better word, is I don't have great editing skills nor the desire to spend a lot of time in editing software, so my edits tend to be the basics and other than my IR shots, are mostly the results of my camera settings than any sort of post processing wizardry by me. I keep saying I am going to learn things like layers and such and really make my photos sing, but then when I try it I get bored with the process and go back to my dunce-level of editing.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I like to record items of interest. Take photos of practical projects that I construct. Take photos of places I have visited. I like to undertake a task or brief to get me out of my comfort zone, accept constructive criticism and act upon it.

Susanne

Mu-43 Regular
Very good question!
I've always taken photos of places I've visited and that i wanted to remember, or tried to capture good moments to remember afterwards. In recent years it's more for the creativity and challenge, to learn new skills and improve the existing, always work towards creating better photos. My favourite genre is nature, to photography insects, spiders and flowers, but also street photography, and I enjoy gig photography a lot. Street photography is special because you can capture the "soul" of a town or city through photos of activities, traffic, buildings and more.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
When I was young in the film days I would mainly record out door activities like Caving expeditions and canyoning as many people never saw these activities and not many participating took photos because of the effort and expense involved. The fond memories of swimming along an underground stream in PNG with my nikonis running out of film mid stream so to speak. Climbing out and changing film with wet hands and gear, a real challenge.
I also took mainly black and white and did all my own developing, really liked the process.

Now I mainly take photos as an excuse to get out and about and give me a reason to take more notice of the places I visit.
I have never really gelled with digital cameras, use them but don't think much of them compared to film cameras. But do admit when they work I can try more things that I could in my outdoor days. apart from the fact they they would not last a day in the conditions I used to photograph in.

Sometimes I try to take a photo that is different [to me at least] but I don't know if I would go as far as to say art.

Now what do I do with my photos. Presently not much. 90 percent never get off the SD card. All the overseas holidays I have done since joining here all just stay on the cards. I occasionally post photos on some of the forums here but apart from that nothing. I used to think about photo books but have not made any yet. I also like the forum here really friendly for the most part and really helpful in my re learning the craft in the digital world.

I suppose for me photography is about the enjoyment of taking the photos now, not what I do with them.
Sometimes we think we are taking photos for future generations, but in my case all my daughter may look at in the future are a few family photos. The rest would not even warrant a second glance.
Will I ever go back over them, who knows what the future may bring :drinks:

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
For a while it was a challenge to use unusual lenses, refitted from projectors and fixed-lens camera, and the occasional adapted SLR one.
I like the aesthetics of the bokeh that some of those would give.

34322874893_3854562c05_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Kodak Cine 50mm f1.6 on E-P5_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

But it has always been a desire to create a decent image, even if the subject was often based on the interests I had at the time.
I am a lousy abstract photographer and mostly don't photograph just anything: I have to have an affinity with the subject.
But above all it's the call of the light that needs to be captured. A can't not let a scene go if the light is magic if I have a camera with me, while I get annoyed if I don't have one.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So much to learn - I never heard os steampunk? I am going to google that. Can you post some photos or did you already do it? Also fairs would be interesting. I assume that when you say 12-200 mm lens you actually mean Oly 12-100mm. I have that lens and when I go minimalist, that is what I take (together with Pany 7-14 or Samyang 7.5).

Actually I meant the 12-200mm superzoom lens. I find a lot of times, 100mm is not enough range, and 200mm gives me more flexibility. Sure, you need an extra stop and 1/3 of light at the long end, but it does give me more range. I generally carry the 12-40mm lens for low light shots. I had used the 14-150mm mark II as my main travel lens, until I decided to splurge and get the 12-200mm during one of Olympus' 20% off refurbished sales.

Steampunk is sort of a weird almagram of Victorian fashions with modern technology. At its beginnings, it was centered in Victorian times in London, but people tend to expand time both ways and move the center away from just London. My character tends to be more based in the 1930's than the 1800's. If you remember the old TV show, Wild Wild West, that was Steampunk before the term was coined. As I think about things, I have various problems with the Victorian era, particularly how the various European peoples (English, Belgians, French, German, etc.) dealt with native peoples around the world, so I've been down playing the Victorian side of things.

My big steampunk box with an E-5 and 14-54mm inside looks like this:
2018-01-13-14-15-001-arisia.jpg

The theory is it replicates many of the things in a modern cell phone. You have an angry bird on a ballista to play games, you have a telegraph key for communication (it also fires the camera), you have a sextant and slide rule to replace the GPS. I have stuffed finger puppets that act as my apps, including the photographer squirrel (Nutzo) and his consort the painter squirrel (Livenea).

Unfortunately, at 25 pounds, it is getting too heavy, so I've been downsizing it. The new body now has the E-m5 mark I in it. I've gone through a bunch of lenses (micro 4/3rds Olympus 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3, classic 4/3rds Olympus 14-54mm mark II f/2.8-3.5, and micro 4/3rds Sigma 16mm f/1.4). Now that I have the E-m5 mark III, I've been toying with replacing the E-m5 mark I with the E-m1 mark I. I generally carry my 'good' camera in a shoulder bag in addition to the steampunk camera, because it has more flexibility than the Steampunk camera. I have the box in two sizes, depending on what I want to carry that day.

Here is the bigger box, that has more of the phone elements:
2019-05-10-16-11-009-hidewc.jpg

It has:
  • Painter squirrel (Livenea)
  • Photographer squirrel (Nutzo)
  • Snap the dragon with a compass
  • Angry birds and ballista
  • Octopus musician Madeline Pomfrey III (or MP3 for short) playing various instruments
  • Camera
  • Eva the beaver (said with a Boston accent, Beavahh) with sextant and slide rule
  • Racky the raccoon with his toolbox and telegraph key
  • Doctor Quackenstien the mad scientist duck
Here is the smaller box that just has the camera and a minimum of stuffed animals:
2019-01-19-12-00-005-arisia.jpg

Here are pictures from some local steampunk events:
Here are some pictures from renaissance faires, both smaller faires, and larger faires:

Attachments

• 2018-01-13-14-15-001-arisia.jpg
    2018-01-13-14-15-001-arisia.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 7
If I can't take photos, then I don't want to go. I consider myself a photographer at the core, regardless of my output, but I don't shoot absolutely everything all the time. There's a camera in my bag/purse everywhere I go.

My favourite things to photograph are classic cars, interesting old stuff, native wildflowers, local events, interesting random sights, and road trips.

Real Name
Richard
I just needed an expensive hobby, and I don't have as much time for golf!

More seriously, but still related, I enjoy the creativity and technical aspects of it. Plus it also helps me get outside and take the kids with me. My oldest is now starting to show an interest, and the next in line wants a camera for his birthday. If they are going to use a device with a screen, it's going to have a shutter button on it.
If they are going to use a device with a screen, it's going to have a shutter button on it.
that sounds good and potentially expensive :)
And a good excuse to legitamise an update :hiding:

Real Name
Richard
I love anything natural, our land and sea forms, birds, wildlife, old buildings, but equally recording history that seems to evaporate very quickly and not a trace left

Right now I'm watching the clouds drift up Mt Roland, tare themselves apart and then roll down into another crevice in an endless display of natures wonder.

At the end of it though, despite the images, those memories are entrenched in the grey matter.
Whilst I could give a blow by blow description of a walk into The Walls of Jerusalem, photos help and make for interesting conversation for those coming after
One such from a trip to 'The Walls' with my bush buddy daughter years ago.
JRS walls.jpg

a scan of an Ektachrome slide that has been shared and reshared

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I photograph as a creative outlet and to record events and travels. I love street photography because I'm fascinated by people but am also an introvert.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Some people photograph to remember what they saw on vacations or to remember get togethers with friends and family or to document hobbies of family members (soccer parents?). Some people photograph for fun for something to do and perhaps to hang photos on the wall or to post on their blog. Some people photograph to share photos with friends. Some photograph because they use the photos in support of other hobbies. People that love wildlife tend to become wildlife photographers. People that like planes end up photographing planes. Some people see photography as an artistic outlet. Did I miss something? Please tell.

What do you like to photograph the most? People, buildings, wildlife...anything that grabs you attention?
Pavel, I've had some kind of camera in my hands since I was about 8 y.o.

I photograph anything and everything.

e.g. transport, without which human society could not exist ...

E-M1_MkII_JAK_2017-_4051285_eW.jpg

Last edited: