n

• Thread starter Deleted member 36320
  • Start date

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I can buy photo gear from my desk at work, or if stuck inside at home. Neither is ideal for photo opportunities.
Haven't you ever checked out a new camera or lens by taking a POV photo of your feet up on the La-Z-Boy? Just change your socks to something colorful, creativity solved.

Armoured

Mu-43 Veteran
Haven't you ever checked out a new camera or lens by taking a POV photo of your feet up on the La-Z-Boy? Just change your socks to something colorful, creativity solved.
I laughed because I literally had a series of those shots two days ago. Yes, I was trying something out. But still...

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
For cityscapes and street photography, my main interest as a photographer, there is already another forum I go to for that.
Curious if you are using anything special on m43 for that? Thinking along the lines of things like shift-lenses or if you just use perspective correction after. I don't shoot a ton of architecture but as I am have mentioned in these forums before I think there would be a market for a basic Olympus or Panasonic produced shift-lens in a native m43 mount. I sometimes use the perspective correction tool in camera but other times I waste a bunch of resolution by keeping the camera level and then stepping far enough back or wide enough focal length to put the full building in the upper half of the frame cropping the bottom half off later in post, but such a waste of all those purdy pixels I paid for.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Curious if you are using anything special on m43 for that? Thinking along the lines of things like shift-lenses or if you just use perspective correction after. I don't shoot a ton of architecture but as I am have mentioned in these forums before I think there would be a market for a basic Olympus or Panasonic produced shift-lens in a native m43 mount. I sometimes use the perspective correction tool in camera but other times I waste a bunch of resolution by keeping the camera level and then stepping far enough back or wide enough focal length to put the full building in the upper half of the frame cropping the bottom half off later in post, but such a waste of all those purdy pixels I paid for.
Can't you use a legacy T/S lens and adapter?

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
Oh, I wish you were posting your urban photos here or on Flickr. My main current interest is in photos captured in urban environment and I go from there :rolleyes: . I do like landscapes and other things, but less so. I did that in the past and everything feels kind of stale with minor exceptions like the brilliant photos of Clyde Butcher (https://clydebutcher.com/) and even his do not impress as much as they do when you see them in his gallery wall size.

Pavel, I do have a Flickr account for my urban photos with E-M1 II. You can see them in the first link in my signature.

I have posted a few of them here and I have thought about posting more, but I like to post these kind of photos as an entire series, like a single-day tour, and this forum software is not really conducive to presenting photos that way. That was the problem with DPReview as well. But I think these kind of photos will not be interesting to people outside of Toronto or people who are not interested in architecture or urban issues, so probably better not to post them on a general photography forum with a global userbase like this one.

Clyde Butcher seems okay, but it's a bit hard to judge from such highly-compressed JPEGs, lol. And he appears to be a film-only photographer, so maybe that doesn't translate fully to digital. It's interesting that he takes time to tell the story behind each photo, and maybe that's something to learn from.

Recently, I bought a book, Heartland: The Plains and the Prairie, by David Plowden who photographs black-and-white rural landscapes on film. It's probably my favourite book, maybe you would like his work as well.

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro

I haven't used tilt-shift lens (12-100mm F4 is all I have so far), but I find perspective correction with software to look unnatural, so I've always avoided it. I don't know if a tilt-shift lens would be different, but when people do extreme adjustments to get vertical lines with software, or they crop off an entire bottom half of a photo to get vertical lines, I notice it right away. Maybe if the horizon is already near the centre, I might do a minor adjustment for the vertical lines, but I think it is not something I have paid much attention to for my own work.

Here's an example of a photo where I was probably thinking about vertical lines for the building and light pole in the background in the top half of the photo, keeping horizon in the centre, but I still made use of the foreground in the bottom half of the photo:
https://flic.kr/p/2jyhVuM
Here's an example of a photo where I tilted the camera way up, and lines dominate the photo, so maybe it would benefit from correction. But even being a more abstract photo, the correction would still be noticeable, wouldn't it? Even with vertical lines, the lights behind the windows would still make it obvious that I'm pointing the camera upward:
https://flic.kr/p/2jymeV1
I think looking upward and looking straight ahead are different perspectives, and stepping back from a building and stepping close to a building are different perspectives also. I'm not sure we can truly combine both. Maybe we don't lose resolution with tilt-shift lenses, but I think we still lose something. Perfectly vertical lines aren't always better, and honestly I would like to see people try getting away from that when photographing buildings. Not that a tilt-shift lens wouldn't be a nice addition to the system, maybe it would even interest me too, but that look has kind of become the default now.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
It's simple.
Buying gear requires a credit card or cash.
Making an image requires some knowledge (of your gear, your art or both).

People think reading about and buying gear is an effort. How often do people post that they've bought something they have yet to use, posted "unboxing" videos as if they are a review, or congratulated someone for "pulling the trigger"?

Does posting a link to a rumor and then discussing that rumor advance the art of photography? It's gossip.

It's nice to see what people can do with their gear, especially if they disclose what they did in post, if anything. This is a forum for m43 users, and m43 is not a form of post.

It's also nice to read and share gear-related experiences so we can troubleshoot and advance the art.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
Excellent comment, PhotoCal. I hope to see some of your work somewhere.

Thank you.

I share images when I want to illustrate a problem or solution. I also posted a few when I recieved my Olympus 100-400 upon its release. At that time no one else had done so. I wanted to share its SOOC abilities.
I think those two use-cases (troubleshooting and unbiased reviews) are the best uses of internet forums.

I don't share images for likes. I don't need the attention.

IRL I also share images with customers and potential customers.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
I share your sentiments, but the whole idea of the forum that you are a member of is to communicate and when it comes to photography, that means communicating using both text and images.

Like I said, I share images when trying to illustrate a problem.
Heck, I started a poll about condiments and didn't post a picture. Do I need to do so? It seems to be communicating with others just fine sans burger and cheese.

I don't particularly like random internet dudes who crave attention, and don't want to be part of that.

If a person has/has not posted a lot of images it doesn't affect me one way or another. Why the concern about my posting of images?

Phocal

God
"Hope you share better images than you have posted here." is uncalled for.
Like I said, I share images when trying to illustrate a problem.
Heck, I started a poll about condiments and didn't post a picture. Do I need to do so? It seems to be communicating with others just fine sans burger and cheese.

I don't particularly like random internet dudes who crave attention, and don't want to be part of that.

If a person has/has not posted a lot of images it doesn't affect me one way or another. Why the concern about my posting of images?

You spew all this information on a variety of things yet have not shown any image that actually shows you have any clue as to what you are talking about. All 4 photos you have shared on this site have been snapshots at most and could just have easily been done with a phone.
Hope you share better images than you have posted here.

Last edited:

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
If I were to make a thread about eating fertilized duck eggs in Vietnam, you can bet I would post plenty of pictures. Some things you need pictures for, some things you don't.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Can't you use a legacy T/S lens and adapter?
Yes that has been suggested in the past but looking into it, it ends up being rather pricey and two pieces rather than one and if you go with something like a tilt adapter (instead of a lens) there are issues with mounting them on certain m43 models such as my E-M1 due to the fake pentaprism hump. But mainly the prices of the legacy t/s lenses are very high. Maybe the cropped sensor of m43 makes it hard to do, but I would love to see a reasonably priced one piece (native mount) and since I don't really have an interest in tilt, I would be happy with shift only.

Or you can use the perspective crop tool and just crop a bit from the top 2 sides. Not a noticeable loss of resolution.
Yes, as I mentioned in my last post occasionally I do use the keystone compensation in camera, but often times it is quicker to get the building straight by not shooting up at it and then cropping the photo down later. With keystone/perspective tool, I have to turn it on, then I have to play around with the adjustment back and forth until I have convinced myself it looks "normal" in the viewfinder which of course always seems to be one arrow button too far or not enough and you go back and forth trying to decide which one, and then take the shot. Where as if I simply hold the camera parallel to the ground, I only need to back up or decrease focal length until the full building in in the frame and shoot.

Quick and dirty examples. I just took this one last weekend and did a quick crop to post here to show what I mean...

To get to this...
2021.06.06-16.15.31 (1).jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

if I have the room to back up and/or the wide angle to fit it all in, I will start with this...
2021.06.06-16.15.31.jpeg

This wouldn't be a shot I would print so the loss of half my pixels is not a big deal, but it would be nice to fill the frame more with my intended subject without extreme key stoning. In this case I could have easily got closer and used the keystone compensation, but sometime when you just want a quick snap of something doing the above is quicker when you are on the move.

I used t/s only a few times and found it too much of a fiddle. I am not sure that the results justify the effort.

I have never used one, so not sure how much I would enjoy, be indifferent, or hate using it. But since my interest is primarily in shift for keystone correction, perhaps a t/s lens where you lock down and never use the tilt is not so bad?

Slinky Malinki

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Neil
Thank you.

I share images when I want to illustrate a problem or solution. I also posted a few when I recieved my Olympus 100-400 upon its release. At that time no one else had done so. I wanted to share its SOOC abilities.
I think those two use-cases (troubleshooting and unbiased reviews) are the best uses of internet forums.

I don't share images for likes. I don't need the attention.

Really, you think mu-43 users are posting here for “likes”, what with ‘massive’ membership here!

Although it’s clearly beneath you to share your photos, you have no problem sharing your negative opinions and ‘wisdom’.

Last edited:

frankmulder

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If everyone would just ignore it, it would eventually go away.
1623433300249.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Useful feature. I'm glad that there's only one person on the list. Good forum. :thumbup:

Latest threads

Top Bottom