n

• Thread starter Deleted member 36320
  • Start date

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
@Pavel M I've browsed some of threads you started sharing images. A few folks are asking for unedited versions so they can better understand what you're achieving in post. You seem pretty committed to not doing so. While you certainly have every right to share or not share any image, it seems strange to not do so when you so clearly would like help drive change here to be more about images than gear.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It is a lot of work for me to find the images, create jpgs from the RAW images and I still would need to figure out how to display them here without first posting them on Flickr first.
Shouldn't be much work for an image or two. Drag the .orf file into the Photos app of your Mac then export it to create the JPG which can be directly uploaded here with the "Attach Files" link at the bottom left when writing a post. Easy.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I think I've said this here already in another thread, but..... "Acquiring gear" is the hobby for many people. G.A.S is usually looked down on in most hobby / enthusiast circles or at least made fun of to an extent because we are all guilty of it at some point. But it is prevalent in every interest that I have, it's not just photography. Fishing, cycling, digital art, etc. all have similar threads when it comes to gear / rumors. I have friends that chose their hobby based on how much junk they can purchase for it. I think in most cases, that is part of the fun.
Not sure that's true at all. GAS is not only tolerated, but celebrated. I think the rest of your paragraph points to that conclusion.

Little Fish

Mu-43 Regular
My observation regarding photogeartalk dominating "CAMERA FORUMS" started back in 2014. And seem to continue today. However, the domination effect of camera gear can be applied to mirrorless video as well. The trend continues. And I have no opposition of photo gear talk dominating the forums. To supplement my cravings for photo inspiration, I turn to Flickr and 500pix. And for video I turn to the YouTube and Vimeo. These as well as this forum helps me gain information on gear, and technical aspects of photo/video.

Nevertheless, I understand that Websites must sustain income to survive. And, around 2017 I noticed some kind of internet re-structuring going on with many photo webistes. And a lot of sales and marketing was incorporated into the format of the site.

Thus, I see the importance of forums like this one is to bring consumers together, to create interest in gear, and eventually a market demand for new products. And, I thank all those consumers who love photography gear and discuss it online as it and keeps evolution of technology rolling.

As for any changes, over the last 5 years we've seen some members here post video for the first time, and eventually go on to be hybrid shooters (photo/video). There is a change happening in the world of cameras. And with new players in the mirrorless game, momentum as consumers shooting mirrorless 4K video are increasing faster than ever.

That's my take on camerageartalk and forums. Great tools for Consumers and Manufacturers.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andrew L
Here's a thought I had about GAS. I was listening to a podcast talk about mimetic desire, a sort of unconscious thing that goes on where we want the things that we see other people wanting (or enjoying). It's a pretty basic characteristic of human nature, but not well understood by most of us. And it goes on in every area of our lives, not only possessions but careers, relationships, and on it goes.

Given that, even if the only conversations about gear on forums were members expressing how happy they were with their existing gear, and posting lots of good photos, it would still foster and encourage GAS because we would want what other people have. It's like driving by a bar with outdoor seating and seeing someone put a cold beer to their lips and drink... suddenly we want the exact same thing, even if we weren't hot or thirsty (insert a different beverage if beer doesn't work for you, but it works for me, hahah). In fact, the more influential other people are in our lives, the more likely that their choices will influence us to desire the same things... so the better you get to know other forum members through good, deep conversation, that may itself increase GAS! There's really no way around it but to become a bit more self-aware and to consciously combat it.

I'd wager that mimetic desire is the most rampant subconscious trait that has been exploited the most in modern consumer culture.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
you should not have mention the bear on a patio. Now i want one and patios will be gloriously reopened in my area only Friday. What do I do until then? Please do not bring up the subject of patios and bear for a minimum of a week.
This proves what I have always thought - people in Canada are fixated on wildlife - beavers, moose, bears, etc. I'll drink a beer to that! ;)

DGoakill

Mu-43 Regular
Not sure that's true at all. GAS is not only tolerated, but celebrated. I think the rest of your paragraph points to that conclusion.

Yeah, I guess it depends on the situation. Personally, I like gear and researching gear. But in my experience, when someone asks about a camera (or any item specific to a hobby) one of the first responses is usually asking what their current camera / thing they currently have can't do, that they "need" a new one or an upgrade. From there, the conversation usually ends up with someone referring to G.A.S. in a negative sense.

It does seem to be more prevalent the last few years, but I wonder if that has more to do with it seeming like we had a steady flow of new releases with impressive advances in a short amount of time. And then an industry wide slow down as they plateaued with the technology.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
In my personal opinion, photography is not something that's really hard to learn. If you couple that with the fact that there are so many learning resources on the Internet it's not surprising that it's not a major topic of discussion.

I think gear is a major topic of discussion, whether it's bodies, lenses, bags, tripods, straps, or any of the other bit of paraphernalia, because what gear you need is very scenario and taste specific.

For example, I won't even mention how many different wrist straps I purchased till I found one that I really liked.

I've bought third-party chargers for my various batteries, to ensure they all use the same methodology for indicating charging is complete.

I 3d printed my own battery holders, to insure they use the same methodology of indicating which batteries are empty and what ones are not.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
Let me know when you perfect self-framing technology

Framing is a very subjective/taste based subject, so their isn't a lot of right or wrong ways of doing it. It's also not hard for someone to figure out what type of framing they like.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Yeah, I guess it depends on the situation. Personally, I like gear and researching gear. But in my experience, when someone asks about a camera (or any item specific to a hobby) one of the first responses is usually asking what their current camera / thing they currently have can't do, that they "need" a new one or an upgrade. From there, the conversation usually ends up with someone referring to G.A.S. in a negative sense.

It does seem to be more prevalent the last few years, but I wonder if that has more to do with it seeming like we had a steady flow of new releases with impressive advances in a short amount of time. And then an industry wide slow down as they plateaued with the technology.
In this forum it seems more in defense of M-4/3 gear, especially if someone says they're leaving for FF. Come to think of it, I never recall anyone saying: "That's it, I've had it. I'm going to APS-C!" :laugh1:

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
Aaahh, then we should devote framing a lot more thought, because as you say about gear, it is very scenario and taste-specific .😂😇😉

I'm not sure what your problem is, gear is a physical thing thats can be held and manipulated. Framing is a concept, they aren't even close to related.

DGoakill

Mu-43 Regular
In this forum it seems more in defense of M-4/3 gear, especially if someone says they're leaving for FF. Come to think of it, I never recall anyone saying: "That's it, I've had it. I'm going to APS-C!" :laugh1:
I still have my FF canon, but seriously thinking of getting rid of it since I saw the Nikon pancakes coming out later this year. I could probably sell the rest of my canon stuff and pick up a Z5 and that 40mm F2 and do an almost even swap. Might cost me a couple hundred at most.

Armoured

Mu-43 Regular
Ahh, but I am an immigrant and I just can't spell :rolleyes: (in several languages) .

But I think you would admit then - English is the best language for making spelling mistakes. Much easier to make them than in those phonetic languages.

Last edited:

Armoured

Mu-43 Regular
No need to be so competitive. I am a natural in several languages
There's a joke in Russian about such competitiveness, which language's spelling least corresponds to the spoken (examples of pernicious English and French spelling).

The punchline is the Russian says, that's nothing, in Russian we write "Pardon me, I didn't hear you properly, would you be so kind as to repeat that?"; but what we say is "Cho?" ("Wha'?")

(You may have heard this already of course)

melanieylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This forum is the only one I visit every day, as it's the only community which gives me somewhere to learn (specific to the format), share my photos, and receive encouragement and feedback. Over the past few years I've made forum acquaintances here I really enjoy interacting with.

As the owner of a classic Citroen, I'm a member of a French car forum, but only engage there when I need help to figure out a problem; as a newbie, I haven't much to contribute. (EDIT: in the section I visit, they don't discuss gear much, as the main focus is on an obsolete model.) However, I have made real life friends there, as cars can physically bring together people who share a love of those cars.

There is no one in my real-world circle with whom I can geek out about camera gear - none of my photo taking friends use mu43, nor are they sufficiently interested in their own gear to discuss it (!)

My photography style is usually documentary, and isn't often particularly creative, but I'd enjoy reading more posts that would move me in that direction.

melanieylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Maybe you haven't seen quite a few switch to Fujifilm APS-C. I've sat on that fence for a long time, myself, but I'm still here.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Maybe you haven't seen quite a few switch to Fujifilm APS-C. I've sat on that fence for a long time, myself, but I'm still here.
I've seen a few, but really the vast majority of people who want to change go to FF. Between Panny's S and Nikon's Z models there isn't a lot of difference in size compared to the G9. In fact, holding the S-5 reminds me very much of the G9, lens size aside. I figure if I ever made the jump and needed to consider a whole new system, may as well go all in. Lens selection is one of the things I love about M-4/3, and it appears the L mount is attracting plenty of players with a decent selection.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
My photography style is usually documentary, and isn't often particularly creative.........

I would argue that your photographs are very creative.

Taking a picture of someone is easy. Taking a meaningful picture of someone going about their daily routine requires thoughtfulness, tact and skill.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The pandemic made me realize that I made a mistake not visiting art galleries, seeing artwork and photo prints in person, and meeting other artists and photographers and enthusiasts, and connect with people in general in person. Online can't really replace all that. Art is personal after all, so people trying to connect via art in an impersonal environment such as an online message board is probably not ideal. I think there is also something to be said about viewing photographs as prints, even within a photobook, compared to digitally on a screen.

Of course, it is not such a problem for discussing photography gear and specs, and as melanieylang said maybe it is actually easier to find people to talk about gear with online than in person. What we do here is just a reflection of a small part of ourselves, even as photographers.

For example, my main interest is actually geography, especially urban geography (I majored in human geography and GIS). I bought my very first camera in 2004 as a teenager because of my obsession with skyscrapers and urban development and I wanted to photograph them. But you guys don't see any of that because I don't post those photos here, I post them on a forum dedicated to skyscrapers and urban issues instead. I come here to discuss gear and photography in general, especially nature and landscape photography. For cityscapes and street photography, my main interest as a photographer, there is already another forum I go to for that.