D

Deleted member 36320

n

Last edited by a moderator:

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I know it's early days yet, but Canada is still on the UK's "Amber" list and if you did travel under such conditions, you'd be spending the first 10 days of your holiday photographing from your quarantine hotel window.

Joe s

New to Mu-43
Thank you for letting me know. We would definitely check like that no matter where we will go and when. Needless to say that Canada would currently reciprocate your welcome 🤗
We are thinking of vacationing in GB sometimes this summer/autumn. Today we are getting Pfizer #2 (only 7% Canadians are so lucky so far) Woooo! I no longer dare to drive a standard on very narrow roads on a wrong side of the road ( 🙃 ). Also, I tend to photograph architecture. So we are thinking 1 to 3 interesting large cities with good public transport. I recently spent 2 weeks in London. God knows I did not see nearly everything although I walked all day every day, but I would like to visit some other places. We also spent a week in Edingburgh, so I would probably skip that. Could you please make suggestions? I like modern as well as old architecture, galleries and museums and whatever else I come across. We have about 2 weeks, give or take. Here are my photos. You need to flip pages to get the flavour of what I do. https://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/. Please feel free to suggest towns including what to see and photograph,and if you have photos to show. Thanks - I will be glad to reciprocate if you come to Canada.
Hi Pavel
In view of your interests I would suggest looking at THE NATIONAL TRUST you can download the App from App Store, if you are travelling around UK by car you would be able to plan your journey around the UK,s best historic buildings. If you go this route then buy season ticket if you are visiting more than four sites. Pre COVID you did not have to book to visit property/gardens. But currently visits need to be pre booked a few days in advance.
Have a good trip regards joe

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I can see where you're coming from with your suggestion Joe, but I have a feeling Pavel M (it would be nice to know his real name) would end up suffering from "Heritage overload" by sticking to National Trust properties.
It would also be a nightmare for him, having to drive most places himself, as not many are conveniently on public transport routes.

I was thinking somewhere like Manchester would be a good location. There's some wonderful new architecture around the Salford Quays area and excellent museums (and also historic houses) within reach. The city tram network would probably appeal too.
Chester, with its Roman connection, City Walls, unique 'Rows', Tudor black & white architecture and wonderful riverside settiing, is also on the doorstep and would wow him with its opportunities.

Another thought I had was Bristol and Bath, where again there's plenty of variety, both ancient and modern.

I hope things settle down by the autumn at least, and he can then enjoy some more of the Great bits of Britain.
Just leave Wales out of it for the moment as we're currently overloaded. ;)

Barking

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jeff
You have an eclectic style...outside of London there are many cities which might stimuate your photographic senses. York springs to mind as probably does Oxford (I've never been there myself!). Another place that I have on my wish list is Dundee... Cambridge would also sit well within your scope as would Liverpool, Newcastle and Bristol.

I currently live in Northern Ireland, so would suggest Belfast but it's not the easiest to get to but you could fly into (or out of ) Dublin (in Eire btw) - you can easily reach Northern Ireland by rail or coach.

UK seems a small country but is heavily populated so it can take time to transfer by rail or coach so allow plenty of travel time between cities.

Good luck

Real Name
Deryck
I know I am biased, but the UK is a great country to visit, an amazing variety. Bath/Bristol, Cardiff, Manchester, Liverpool, Oxford and Cambridge as larger cities all have so much to offer a tourist, as do most smaller towns. Before lockdown we spent a few days in Halifax, it was really enjoyable, plenty to see and do. Even Gloucester and Cheltenham where I live can offer a lot for the tourist. Get the train routes and timetables, pick some towns, look up the tourist info on the internet and plan your trip.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Hi again Pavel.
Apologies for not realising Pavel is your real name.
I confess I thought it was possibly your surname, but a little research indicates it's your "given" name and is basically the same as my son's name of Paul.
I've never been called Pan or Oly, which is why my real name of Brian is included in the sidebar. ;)

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
If it’s cities/towns with architecture you want, I’d suggest Cambridge, Oxford, York, Bristol, Bath, and potentially one of the nicer northern towns like Durham or even Liverpool.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Thank you very much. I will do my research. Like all of you helpful chaps, do not hesitate to ask for suggestions if you ever decide to make a trip to the "colonies". You can meet the governor general of Canada which represents your queen in Canada. There is actually a great deal to see and do
Oh, I love Canada! I’ve been to Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Halifax, Edmonton, Banff, Niagara and a few other places. I’m yet to make it to the west coast though, but hope to do before I shuffle off the mortal coil! I have nephew and family living there so there’s an easy excuse!

Agree with most suggestions, especially Bristol/Bath (close to me, so know them well). Would also throw in Newcastle (only been there once, but there is plenty to see in a walkable city), but it's a bit far from anywhere else..