1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

< n O v I c E f I l M a K e R > Needs PRO's Help/Advice -- Tascam DR-05 Vs. Zoom H1... A lavalier

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by shanguli, Jan 21, 2015.

1. shanguli

shanguli Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2014
    canada
    As a novice filmmaker I'd like to get some gear for Hybrid videos, Corporate videos which involves sound recording and audio playback.

1-Please advise as to which of the 2 (Tascam DR-05 Vs. Zoom H1) I should go for, as opposed to the other and your why?

2- A Lavalier microphone – Rode Smartlav
    But it seems like these mics are only for iPhone users?!?! <http://www.smartlav.com/>
    (I'm an android/Galaxy slave)

3- Feel free to suggest any other gear necessary/useful that is worth it to get.

2. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    If you look at 04:28 in the video Im using a cheap $15 lav mic with the Zoom H1 that I have in my back pocket.

Review - FilmCity - The Low Budget Camera Rig: http://youtu.be/5O9fE6rAxyE

And in this video I talk straight into the Zoom which is then routed to my camera from roughly 2m.

BMPCC - Part 3/9 - How to Record Good Audio on a …: http://youtu.be/RXRurd_e3Vs

• Like Like x 1
  3. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    Have you considered using a very small audio mixer feeding directly into your camera? MANY advantages, especially when you need two or three audio sources like when you are recording an interviewer and the subject. It is a PIA to sync up audio in post.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I've used both, and they work pretty much the same. The DR-05 is larger, easier to use with more buttons, and built better. The Zoom's tripod mount in particular is plastic molded directly into the body shell and very easily damaged. I use the Tascam now really for that reason.

I also have a SmartLav and it doesn't work with the Tascam or Zoom at all. But it works just fine into my iPhone, which makes the Zoom/Tascam unnecessary in that case. The SmartLav site says they work fine with Android but I haven't tested it.

If you need directional audio that isn't people speaking or can't be picked up on a lav, then you might consider a shotgun mic. But a lav is probably preferable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. shanguli

shanguli Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2014
    canada
    Could you elaborate on "using a very small audio mixer feeding directly into your camera"
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I guess when it comes to doing sync in PP you'd use Pluraleyes.
    Thanks!

6. shanguli

shanguli Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2014
    canada
    Could you elaborate on "using a very small audio mixer feeding directly into your camera"
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I guess when it comes to doing sync in PP you'd use Pluraleyes.
    Thanks!

7. shanguli

shanguli Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2014
    canada
    hm... I don't know why then, when I go to http://www.smartlav.com/, the vieo says "smartlav ...designed exclusively for Apple IOS devices... ". It's confusing.

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I don't see that anywhere, and the website has a clearly labeled Android compatibility list.

9. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    I have been learning to use a GH3 for video. Very few of my projects only use one channel of audio. Even when I go into a dance area, I have two streams.....one mic for ambient....one mic for talking heads. I have a tiny mixer mounted on top of the cage holding my camera. This gives me lots of control over the audio. In a fixed setup, it is not unusual to use two wireless systems and one PZM mike for ambient.

Every day I listen to videos and I am amazed at how bad some are and how amazingly good some are. I wish someone would go on the road and offer a seminar on JUST live audio acquisition. Something as simple as the attachment of a lavalier mic can be critical! Usually, the seminars cover soooo much ground that it is a waste.

10. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    I am new to hybrid/motion/video capture and am finding more and more I'm being asked by existing clients if I could make videos. I have a RODE VideoMicGo shotgun mic that I've used once for an architect client giving a house tour. The audio was better than I expected, but still peppered with the occasional passing noise of someone stepping in the way or my inadvertently kicking the monopod! lol Anyway, I've been asked by another client to shoot a short video of the CEO and another giving short speeches. If in an indoor controlled environment (say conference room with no machines running or random walk-ins) would the shotgun mic suffice? Would a lavalier be better suited? Is there a benefit to using both as JoJo has suggested using multiple streams?

11. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    My solution to good sound was to get a Tascam D60, plural eyes, and to use two mic's (video MicPro & a lav type. I mount the VMP on the D60 and put it on XLR ch. 1 and the Lav on ch3/4 (need small voltage power). D60/VMP is on a tripod about 15 feet away and the lav on the person. (For more folks I move the D60 setup closer and turn the gain up on the VMP. Sync with PluralEyes. Two or three cameras running I send the signal to one of the cameras also. You might want to visit DVXUser audio forums.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    Excellent, thank you! Out of curiosity, how do you send the signal out to one of the cameras?

13. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    The Tascam D60 has two mini 1/8 plugs for camera's - one out/ other In. You plug a Mini pin in the mic port on the camera (need a cable that has two male plugs).

14. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    ...and over 15'. Say, is there any advantage to mounting the VMP/D60 and placing it out of the way vs. mounting both with the camera?

15. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    1. There's no substitute for getting the mic as close as possible to the subject's mouth. Everything else is a compromise in quality that is sometimes necessary because of one thing or another (time, movement, changing subjects, appearance, etc...). And the farther away you get, the worse the audio gets (mixed in with room acoustics and ambient noise that you may or may not want). So get as close as you can possibly get.

2. At each shoot, take a 10-second sample of the room/ambient noise. This can be used to fill in gaps during the edit or for noise reduction.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    Some good advice has been offered here. One technique that is so simple that it is often over looked: run a cable between the podium and the camera. If the speaker is a jack rabbit and bounces all over the stage, you must either put a wireless on him or shoot him with 000 buckshot. When I have a jack rabbit to film, I put a wireless AND a solid state recorder oh him ( I am paranoid). If it is a static shoot, I use a hard wired mic (Shure SM58) AND a recorder.