n=New camera or old one and new lens?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rkhndjr, Aug 12, 2014.

1. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    I have a GF-1 and a 14-45 lens. I am old and have taken no pics in a year or so after my wife died. Now I feel it would be good to start back but I need advice on a lens to go with the 14-45. I love the GF-1 and a new camera seems crazy at my age, so would anyone recommend a lens. Any GOOD kind but the 20/1.7 is not a favorite. Cannot afford the extremely high priced ones but want a good sharp lens, no zoom preferably/ Any help will be appreciated
  2. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013

Do you have any idea of your budget?
    If you want a normal prime lens, either the 25mm M.Zuiko or the 30mm Sigma DN are optically terrific options (and both are on different budget tiers).
  3. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    Thanks. I don't mind spending a few hundred dollars but not over $400 or so. The 25mm is one I have thought about but the 45/1.8 is more appealing for some reason.
  4. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    any thoughts on the 45mm?
  5. ttomino1980

ttomino1980 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2014
    45mm f/1.8 is very good lens ... but 25mm lens with its angle of view is more versatile

also I recomend to buy also the body with the latest generation senzor ..eg epl5 ...you will spent less time behind pc and you will have more pleasure from making photos
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Tom_Chan

Tom_Chan Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    If you want to avoid overlap in focal length (although the 45 is 3+ stops faster), you might want to consider the Sigma 60mm f/2.8. (I only have a 20 f/1.7)
    • Like Like x 2
  7. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    Thanks, Tom. I have that in mind.
  8. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    I second the vote on the Sigma 60mm f/2.8. However, I don't agree on your "new camera is crazy at my age" comment. After all, you can't take it with you! Get what you like and what you feel can inspire you. Then post what do here!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    It renders beautifully with the GF1's sensor, so does the 25mm. Both are about the same size and share similar optical qualities (bokeh to die for, a clinical rendering that makes every little detail pop out, no aberrations of note, sharp to the corners wide open, fast silent autofocus).

The 45mm is a more specialized lens. I find 25mm to be quite versatile as a focal length.
  10. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    Thanks for the inspiring message. Yes, I could buy a new camera but I love the GF-1, have owned at least 6 of them over the years. But the 45mm is more in keeping with what I would use the lens for as most would be indoors when the children are here. The 25mm is a better lens overall I think but I am in the house all day now. Some problems have come up since my wife died last September and I drive very little, It is all a great adventure to me!!!
  11. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

If you're planning on using it mostly in the house I would lean towards the 25. I have the 45 and it's great indoors for babies, if you want more than head and shoulders of other family you can easily run out of room to back up indoors with the 45. Since you have the 14-45 try a day with it zoomed all the way in and see if it's field of view you would rather than the 25.
  12. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    I second the idea to look for something with a wider angle of view. The 45 will require you to be quite a long distance away for head-to-toe type images. The 25 would be good, and the 17mm 1.8 perhaps even better suited for indoor use. I like 12-14mm indoors if I want head-to-toe and/or some context. Even the 20mm 1.7 can be limiting if there's not a lot of space...
  13. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Preferred focal length is such a personal thing and depends on the way you see, but a few of the practical considerations others have mentioned deserve mentioning again. The 45mm angle of view is very nice for some things, but it can be limiting indoors unless you are looking for a close crop. With no image stabilization on the GH1, the Olympus version will require higher shutter speeds and so, very often, higher iso settings. My personal preference indoors is the 25mm, with the field of view of the old fashioned 'nify fifty'. Unless I'm shooting a group, I rarely find I need wider, but the 17mm is useful in those instances.

I'll vote for the Olympus 25mm f1.8 as a good, versatile, reasonably priced and excellent performer. Unless head and shoulder shots are the staple of what you do, I just think you might find the 45mm limiting as a normal prime.
  14. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    This is a great idea. Try fixing both focal lengths on your 14-45mm and see which one you're most comfortable with. Also go through your gallery and see which focal range you're using most frequently for your favorite shots. This will help you decide for sure.
  15. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Sorry to hear of your wife's passing. The GF-1 is a great camera and definitely has its place in history (at least with regards to the M-43 format and its evolution!).

That said, given your budget, my take on your situation is that you already own what I believe to be an EXCELLENT lens in the Pany 14-45. It is superb and punches way above its price. The GF-1 is now very long in the tooth and has been improved upon vastly. My advice with all of that in mind is to hang onto the 14-45 and invest the money you've got set aside into a newer generation Olympus body -- my first preference would be to buy a gently used OMD E-M5. They can be had for just a hair more than you're planning on spending, yet will provide you with a camera that is still considered state-of-the-art.

Whatever you decide, I hope you'll share your decision with us.

Best regards!

16. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Don't count out Oly 25mm for both indoor and outdoor shots. Fast lens, good AF, optically great, good rendering.

Also, for that amount of money ($400), you could get two sigma lenses out of three (optically great) lenses. 19mm and 60mm could be great for you, though they are f2.8.

On the other hand, E-PM2 two lens kit was going for less than $400 in December last year (don't know current price). You could get a new body with better resolution, in body IS and better ISO handling (if you can't afford new, faster lenses). Pair that with the Sigma 19 or 30mm and you have a killer combo, light and cheap. The downside is you would need to get used to the Oly menus, which can be bothersome for many people.
  17. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I use both the 25 and 45 indoors and I live in a small house, I would given the prices go for a used 45 and see if you can swing a newer gen Oly such as the EPM2 or EPL5 at the same time. Though if you find a bargain 25 go for it and if you can the 45 as well, I am very much in the lens over new camera, That is until you have all the lenses you need or an updated body will give you something your old one can't. Another option if you can find one cheep enough is the G3, I have seen them go for relatively little in the UK and the sensor will give you a couple of stops extra, but I would still rather have the option of other lenses if that is all I can afford.
  18. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    It's Sad that you don't want the 20mm. . . Such a perfect lens on that camera.

I would easily say you should get the Panasonic 25mm!

The 45mm is too long for varied indoor use, and with your older sensor in that GF1 you would really benefit from the extra F1,4 speed of the Pana25mm. It will help keep the ISO down giving you cleaner results indoors.
  19. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    How do you feel about macro photography? You can get good results on many lenses with a Raynox adapter or extension tube set, might be a new avenue to explore?