1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

mzd 9-18 vs zd 9-18

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mauro, May 3, 2013.

1. mauro

mauro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    near Venice, Italy
    Does anyone compared the micro4/3 9-18 with the 4/3 version?
    I'm interested only in image quality, af speed and dimensions aren't things where I base my choice.
    I already have the mmf-2 adaptor and I'll use it on my E-M5.

Another thing, I usually fit polarizer and nd filter together on the lens, which one of the two lenses has less vignetting issue?

Thanks in advance:smile:

2. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The comparison unfortunately uses different bodies with different resolutions. Adjusting for the 20% difference in resolution, I don't think you'll see any advantage in the center for the m.ZD 9-18. If sharpness is the main concern, the older lens is the better choice.

4. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I think the L10 was known to have a light AA filter though so its probably a little closer than pure numbers in terms of resolution. It still gives you an idea of the difference in drop off in the corners with the new lens but that it holds its center sharpness farther into the frame. Depending on what you are shooting it may be a non-issue as the noticeable sharpness is only around the outside 10% or so of the frame (at least on my copy).

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Actually, both cameras they used have a light AA filter (L10 and G1).

6. mauro

mauro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    near Venice, Italy
    I made the same conclusion when I saw these charts, in addition the 4/3 version has more uniform resolution through the frame and this is an important thing for me.

7. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    Don't forget the amount of CA both lenses exhibit. The 4 3rds lens is quite a bit better for this, although you would probably still have to shoot RAW and PP to get rid of it on either lens.