MZ 9-18 review at DPR.

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
Overall conclusion

The M Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4-5.6 is on the whole a fine performer, consistently delivering detailed results across a wide range of shooting conditions. Central sharpness in particular is very high, even wide open, and resistance to flare is impressive. It's not perfect - the extreme corners of the frame are somewhat soft, especially wide open, and lateral chromatic aberration is rather high, with pronounced red/cyan fringing towards the corners of the frame - but this seems a small price to pay for an ultra-wideangle zoom that slips easily into a small jacket pocket.

LINK.

Bill Gordon

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Overall conclusion

The M Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4-5.6 is on the whole a fine performer, consistently delivering detailed results across a wide range of shooting conditions. Central sharpness in particular is very high, even wide open, and resistance to flare is impressive. It's not perfect - the extreme corners of the frame are somewhat soft, especially wide open, and lateral chromatic aberration is rather high, with pronounced red/cyan fringing towards the corners of the frame - but this seems a small price to pay for an ultra-wideangle zoom that slips easily into a small jacket pocket.

LINK.

Hi Bill
You have a good eye for updates..thanks for posting!

Bill Gordon

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Perhaps we could get a translation into English?? Please??
April 15, 2010
Standard "Micro" lenses
"M. ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6" (35mm 18 equivalent-36mm)
announces Release
Olympus, when the announcement of 3 February 2010 was recently "released in late April 2010," and we received them, "Standard Micro" lenses in accordance with "M. ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 "(35mm 18-36mm equivalent size equivalent) must be guaranteed, as described below, the release date" April 23, 2010 (Friday) "I have decided will be notified.

"M. ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6", "The Standard Micro 100" embodies the maximum angle of the merits of lightweight ultra wide-angle zoom lens is the biggest °. Zoom Super Wide Angle reversed the traditional sense of a big heavy, just length 49.5mm, it weighs 155g, and realize the overwhelming size and weight.

The simultaneous presentation of "M. ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-150mm F4.0-5.6" (35mm 28-300mm equivalent size equivalent, will be released in late May), due to the finalized release date, we will inform you.

Name: Lenses "M. ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6"
Release Date: April 23, 2010 (Friday)
MSRP: 71,000 yen (74,550 yen including tax)
Name: Protection Filter "PRF-D52 PRO"
MSRP: 3,500 yen (3,675 yen tax included))
Name: Lens hood "LH-55B"
MSRP: 4,800 yen (5,040 yen including tax)
Related Links
Digital SLR Camera Product Lineup
End of text.

Contact Us
About Olympus
and introduction of Corporate and Investor Relations
Consumer Products
Medical life science products
Industrial Products
History of the Olympus
camera and microscope, Olympus introduces the history of the center's history of product
Webzine
and global technical information about the activities of Olympus

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Looks like a good option. The test results for color fringing, distortion, and corner performance are all slightly disappointing compared to the less expensive regular 4/3 version of this lens. However, those test results often don't translate into real world significant differences, and the text of the conclusion indicates that this lens performs on a similar level to the Pana 7-14, a lens which I find a very good performer.

Not long ago, I was similarly disappointed to see the DPR results for the Pana Leica 45/2.8 macro, a lens I love. Wish I hadn't let reviews keep me from picking up the PL45 sooner.

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi Bill
You have a good eye for updates..thanks for posting!

Bill I have an RSS feed reader on my desktop that collects news items from about a dozen photo sites I've tracked down.

Amin it's easy to get bogged down in technical details. They are important but just one set of info. User opinions although often a bit 'rose-coloured' are sometimes more relevant. Forums like this are an asset in that regard.

Bill Gordon

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Bill I have an RSS feed reader on my desktop that collects news items from about a dozen photo sites I've tracked down.

Amin it's easy to get bogged down in technical details. They are important but just one set of info. User opinions although often a bit 'rose-coloured' are sometimes more relevant. Forums like this are an asset in that regard.

That is rather interesting Bill....just how does it work? Is it a piece of hardware or is it an app or again is it another software program

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
Bill RSS has been around for a while but I've only got into it lately. You need a small application called a feed reader and then you look for sites of interest that have an RSS feed. Many sites like Yahoo and Google will catch RSS feeds that you choose to subscribe to. The app I use is part of Google Desktop and takes up the right hand side of my screen. I have a 23.5" screen so there is plenty of real estate to share.

Try googling "RSS Readers" or "Digital Photography RSS Feeds". I have collected about 12 such feeds.

igi

Mu-43 Regular
However, those test results often don't translate into real world significant differences, and the text of the conclusion indicates that this lens performs on a similar level to the Pana 7-14, a lens which I find a very good performer.

Just remember: nobody shoots in test environments then shows it to his friends like "hey get a hold of my resolution tests!!!":wink:

I just wish for better build quality. If I'd want lenses, I want those that can last for decades...

[Off Topic]Anybody know what exactly the 17mm is made of?

oris642

Mu-43 Regular
Here's a really interesting interview with some engineers at Olympus about the new 9-18 mm lens. There's also some really cool 3-D cutaway views, MTF curves, lens cross-sections, etc. Also talks about how the plastic tubes have to be molded to a precision of 1/10,000 of a millimeter for holding the lenses. Translated from Spanish:

http://translate.google.com/transla...s/olympus-tecnologia-msc-3.html&sl=auto&tl=en

By moving only one lens with the special motors they are able to have fast AF that is also quiet for shooting video.

That's why it cost $700. In fact, given the R&D and technology now in these new lenses, it's making certain other manufacturer's lenses look overpriced.

Latest threads

Top Bottom