1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mz 9-18.....have the 7.5 FE already

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by damianmkv, Sep 6, 2016.

1. damianmkv

damianmkv Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    does anyone have both ? I've had the samyang FE for around a year and it's a great fun lens

I like landscapes but it's probably something I do half a dozen times a year. I was thinking of adding the 9-18 because it's small, light and will take filters easily. So wide LE become possible...although I have the 12-40

So I'm left wondering if it's worth making the addition ? I can de-fish the Samyang so am I just having a bout of GAS ?

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've got both - like you I had the 7.5FE for ages, not really needing a rectilinear UWA. I started wanting to do some long exposures and architecture though, both of which are severly challenged on the 7.5FE.

Consequently, I waited for a good deal on a used 9-18mm and got one. Optically it's clear that the 7.5FE is way better, but for straight lines and filters there's not much else you can do...

3. damianmkv

damianmkv Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    very true, thanks for your reply. I'm really undecided about it - I've had a look through the thread and wonder how soft "soft" is..

4. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    I was in the same situation as you... and found a great deal on a used 9-18
    I think it is a great little lens - but I must admit that I seldom bring it - I don't know why because I like the results :blush:
    I guess I prefer the drama of the fisheye

5. damianmkv

damianmkv Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    that's my fear, Morten..I'll buy it, throw it in the bag and it'll never see daylight again

6. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2015
    I tend to use the 9-18 more, simply because it's so flexible...

27608325005_da3c647b07_b.

On the other hand, I like how the 7.5mm can spice up an otherwise bland scene...

25316654283_64a78ba3c2_b.

The 12-32mm is my most used lens, because no-one notices me taking pictures with it, especially when on the front of a friendly little red camera...

22349749102_f955e28084_b.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's an OK lens but the sharpness and contrast are nothing special. It's quite different to the FE though so IMHO they're not really comparable. If you want an UWA lens of decent quality then you'll need to go for one of the 7-14s.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  8. damianmkv

damianmkv Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    thanks Paul - I just pulled the trigger as the one for sale is at a reasonable price, so I'd only lose a few quid if I don't get on with it and sold it

Looked at the 7-14s but i don't want to get into loads of money for filters

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's a nice lens, so don't worry - I'm sure you'll get on with it. I've had 2 copies in my u43 career and sometimes I'm tempted to get a third! It's pretty wide, has decent enough IQ, takes filters and is small, light and not too expensive.

10. damianmkv

damianmkv Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    agreed, I have a 52mm 10 stop and CPL already for another lens so now i'm good to go ( although my bag is getting a little small :eek: )

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm thinking of trading my 7.5 for the 9-18. The 7.5 is a bit of a coin toss for landscapes, and it's so wide I have to take another lens along. 9-18 covers super wide to almost normal. Seems like it could be an OK walk-around lens in the right circumstances.

12. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I have both. Two different.t tools. The 9-18 is a wide to almost normal. I do have a separate profile but I think it is a good to very good lens. 7.5 is extremely sharp big contrast lens that with care in framing can be defished to a very wide Lens. Different tools both good.

13. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I had it as my prime zoom (before 12-35 announced) and it was great travel lens.
    There were reports of big QA variance though, so make sure you can check or return your copy if it's a dud.

14. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I have both. I like both. I think the 9-18 sharpness in outer areas of the frame will ultimately set a limit on viewing size for you. But it is great up to a reasonable size. For the same reason I decided against using it for multi-shot panoramas.
    P3291300-1900pixel.

15. damianmkv

damianmkv Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    I've seen some images that the seller has taken and it looks fine so fingers crossed.

I have an rx100 for travel but I am working in Athens in 2 weeks time so am thinking of taking the 9-18 with my e-m1 instead. Knowing my luck, I won't get time to use it though :(

16. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You have a good point about panoramas which I'll second. There is some residual, slightly complex barrel distortion at 9mm that ACR doesn't quite get rid of. This occasionally makes stitching with close straight lines in the foreground a bit hit and miss.

• Like Like x 1