Mystery lenses: Zeika Nominar and Bell & Howell

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by romanchukenator, Jul 23, 2013.

1. romanchukenator

romanchukenator New to Mu-43

Jul 22, 2013
    So I'm having trouble sleuthing the internets for some info and image samples on a couple lenses. I've lurked these forums enough to know that there's got to be some obscure lens guru who'll lay down the knowledge.

First is the Zeika Nominar and the mysterious 6.5mm f1.9 incarnation.

Second we have something from Bell & Howell, which isn't entirely a mystery to me 'cept I have a 20mm f2.5 lens that doesn't seem to exist, except by very, very few passing mentions.

I'm wondering if there's any information about these lenses, if anyone has sample images even! Appreciated!
  2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Are you sure about the maximum aperture and focal length of the Bell and Howell lens being a 20mm f2.5 lens?

I know that in the 1970s Bell and Howell had a relationship with Canon, and re-branded many Canon items under their own name. I own a Bell and Howell FD35 SLR that is actually a re-branded Canon TX from that same era. If the lens has a Canon breech-lock mount, I would say with certainty that it was a re-branded Canon 20mm f2.8 lens - a lens that was very very good for it's time. But Canon did not make a 20mm f2.5

They also did a similar thing with some other lens makers - One of whom - Kiron - made 28mm f2.5 lenses, that were mainly sold under the Vivitar brand, but may have also branded some for Bell and Howell.

The Zeika nominar is a C-mount lens for movie cameras that was also sold under the brand Carl Meyer.
  3. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    RE: Zeika Nominar and the mysterious 6.5mm f1.9

With that short of FL could this be an 8mm camera D-mount instead. Either way it it wouldn't begin to provide MFT sensor coverage.
  4. romanchukenator

romanchukenator New to Mu-43

Jul 22, 2013
    Yeah, weird, huh? I can find info on other Bell and Howells but the 20mm f2.5 seems to have been forgotten in time.

Thank you on the info linking B&H to Canon. That's the sort of history I like to find! Interesting stuff.

As for the 6.5mm Zeika Nominar I haven't put it on my camera and don't think I have much intention to do so, either precisely because of Crdome's conclusion: it won't even come close to covering the sensor. It's just a curious lens I picked up.