Mystery Lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Web-Betty, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    Hello,

I'm new here, and so glad I found this forum. :)

I purchased a mystery lens for $7.00 and have not had any luck searching online for information on it. The lens is an Access f=35~135mm Macro. My search results come up with a lot of 35~70 but not so much luck with the 35~135.

Does anyone know anything about this lens? I was pretty happy with a few of the practice shots I took this afternoon but I don't really know what I should be looking for.

Any information and/or feedback is greatly appreciated.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I own an Access lens cap, which I use regularly on my Konica Hexanon 50mm/1.4. That's the closest I've come to an Access lens. ;)

3. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
  4. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Access was the house brand for a U.S. importer of rather inexpensive equipment. I don't know which or how many actual manufacturers supplied their lenses. Sigma may have been one, but back then Sigma's own branded products were of rather marginal quality (decent glass but poor mechanical quality, they've improved their line significantly since).

Regardless of who supplied the lenses, the supplier's name can't be used as any measure of the quality of such lenses. This type of product was never simply a rebranded version of the supplier's own branded product. They were always designs made for that to sell for a price.

5. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    Thanks everyone for the replies. The links didn't yield any 35-135mm results, but I'm not too worried. It was $7.00 and I'm enjoying learning with it--I'm really happy with the pics I've taken thus far.

Here is the raw image, exported as a JPEG:

P6172677.

And here is my post-processed version:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/web-betty/9071480427/" title="subtle hints by Web-Betty, on Flickr"> 9071480427_26199311a4_c. "800" height="800" alt="subtle hints"></a>

So was it $7.00 well spent? :dance3:

6. super8man

super8man Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2013
    I like the more colorful picture better. For $7 you need reassurance? LOL. Heck, that is a fine purchase and the results are quite nice. For many people, it's all about the bokeh when using vintage glass.

7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Access P-MC Macro Lens 35-135 Zoom f4/5.6 - For Nikon

8. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    If you like the lens and the results, just be glad for the bargain, and don't worry about the brand name. "Curiosity, killed the cat", is an old country proverb.

9. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    I was really being rhetorical, lol. I'm thrilled with my $7 purchase and am having a ton of fun learning with this lens. I'm really new to this so I'm going out and shooting all I can.

I'm intrigued that you like the brighter picture better. I really like the softer on. Is it just a personal preference, or are there technical reasons you prefer the original?

10. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    I was more interested in getting information on the lens to learn more, and take better pics with it--I didn't mean to give the impression that I was worried about brand names. At this stage in my picture taking, I don't really care that it's a cheap lens--for being a complete novice I am really happy with my results thus far. :thumbup: