1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Mysterious mark on E-P2 screen

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by relic, May 20, 2016.

1. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 21, 2010
    The mark is in the form of perfect parentheses "( )" in the middle of the screen (not related to the focus brackets). It is not visible in recorded images. This is the 2nd E-PM2 that shows this (both from ebay, the first I returned and got this one from a different seller). The first seller said afterwards that it was a drop of liquid on the sensor, but I doubt that both cameras have exactly the same size, same shape caused by a random drop of liquid). The camera appears to perform perfectly otherwise. Any idea what this might be? Many thanks for any suggestions. Below is a picture of the screen with a piece of white paper in front of the lens.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Ummmm, is this an Oly question or a Panasonic question? Because you posted it in the Panasonic forum. Thread to be moved perhaps?

3. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 21, 2010
    Many thanks, PakkyT, for noticing my blunder. It is in fact an Olympus camera question. I see no way of directly requesting a Moderator to move it, so I hope that one of the Moderators sees it and kindly moves it to an appropriate section. My apologies to all.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    you are actually seeing 2 separate but overlapping marks on the screen... but thats OK.... by looking at that I can tell you camera is set to centre weighted metering - the circular elements and you are using the larger single focus spot - the square elements. Change to spot metering and the circle will get smaller, set the focus to the 9 patch grid and the square elements will get larger

All is fine with your camera

K

5. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 21, 2010
    Thank you so much! I would never have guessed. Even after searching the manual, I didn't discover this. I very much appreciate your pointing this out. I guess I always have used ESP metering :hide:.

6. roelwillems

roelwillems Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2015
    Roel Willems
    Nice to see you got your answer!

I would really recommend researching in to metering modes of your camera and when/how to use them. This will make a huge difference in getting great images (even if you don't want to fuss with any other setting like aperture or shutter speed)

7. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 21, 2010
    Thank you very much: I appreciate your helpful suggestion, as I have never tried the different metering modes.

8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    No problem... I hadn't worked out the logic behind them before your question....so thank you for making me learn something today !!

Plus one to what Roel says about using other metering modes - centre weighted and spot can be very useful in tricky lighting situations

18049191705_be23dbd81a_b. P5230182 by kevinparis, on Flickr

K

9. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 21, 2010
    Thank you again. The people on this forum are wonderful and exceptionally helpful. Your images (the one here and others on the forum, as well as on flickr) are both artistically and technically superb, but I can only use them as something to enjoy and be inspired by. Thank you again.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1