1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mysets on Olympus OM D E M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by joesb1, Feb 17, 2014.

1. joesb1

joesb1 New to Mu-43

Feb 13, 2014
    What are some ideas you are storing in your MySets? In my Canon MYMenu I have it set up as following: 1.Format 2.Battery info 3.Date/time/Zone 4.Number of Bracketed Shots and 5.Expo.comp./AEB.

The formatting on the Olympus is on the first screen so I don't want to use that in MySets, so I'm open to your ideas.

2. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I use mysets, which I access using the redundant controls on the mode dial (silly things such as iAuto, art filters, photo collage, etc.) for various flash RC modes (fill in, automatic and manual exposure) and one for HDR.

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    MySets on Olympus is a way to configure custom resets for your camera, not create a menu.

For instance I have a custom reset for:
    Outdoor
    Indoor
    Studio (flash)
    Low light (long exposure)

In each of those custom resets I have things like white balance, flash mode, ISO, shutter speed, and aperture (as well as every other setting) pre-chosen and saved. I can then recall them.

At my last shoot I may have changed a half-dozen settings and I can't remember what I changed. Using the MySet as a custom reset I can set the camera to a known starting point, and then change the specific settings for the current lighting conditions and subject. It's a lot easier than trying to go through every setting to try and remember what I changed.

4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Instead of MyMenu try the Super Control Panel (SCP), p 103 of the manual. (I think)

5. joesb1

joesb1 New to Mu-43

Feb 13, 2014
    Now I understand what MySet means. It would be "Custom Set" on my Canon cameras. So having a camera set up for Outdoor, Indoor, Flash Low Light makes sense. Thank you all.

6. LarryL

LarryL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2014
    This is very timely for me. I am totally new to Olympus having come over from Nikon and I am just noodling this set up out.
    So, I go into myset 1, for example, and set it up for shooting landscape, set the focus set up, etc. and then just go to the next myset and set it up for action/sports, etc, myset 3 for street photography, etc.Then when I go to the field I go to Menu, select the myset I want and off I go. Is this correct? Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

7. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
  8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    For those new to MySets, you should watch the following video (MySet talk starts around 20:30):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxFFkZot24I

This video is featuring the Olympus PEN camera, but the OM cameras are almost the same...so the who video can be beneficial for new users.

• Like Like x 4
  9. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Anybody care to share their own Mysets?? :smile:

10. LarryL

LarryL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2014
    can you rename the myset to something that makes more sense so it's easier to remember what type of shooting it is actually set up for?

11. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    LarryL, unfortunately not.

12. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I have been playing with these since I got the EM10. (Never really checked them out on all my earlier Olympus bodies.) And I think I found one glitch. I assign one of the three programable buttons (FN1, FN2 and REC) that can take the setting to activate Focus Peaking. (The other two are generally AEL and Multi Function and when the third button is not Focus Peaking it is set for the Digital TC.) And no matter which of the three it set in the MySet, when I try to assign that MySet to any mode dial position, it will not acknowledge the Focus Peaking setting. That button will always default back to Digital TC. But if I go into the MENU and manually select the proper MySet (with the Focus Peaking setting), everything works the way I set it up. It is driving me crazy why this does not work just for that one setting - or at least that setting as opposed to all the other settings I save as part of the MySet.