1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

MySet

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bongestrella, Jun 19, 2012.

1. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    My em-5 can store 5 (if I remember correctly) MySet settings but at the moment I'm only using 1, pretty much my default settings (single center focus point, f5.6, ISO 200, face priority set to on, evaluative metering, etc). In case someone borrows my camera for a few shots and changes the settings, I can easily set it back to my preferred/default settings.

So my question is, what do you guys store in your MySet settings? I might be able to copy some :)

2. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    It can store 4 MySets..... I've got three in use.

1. Standard shooting settings

2. 5 shot bracket at 1EV (assigned to Fn2)

3. Off-camera wireless flash

3. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    I have 3 assigned although almost never used the third
    1. What I mostly use
    2. Remote flash mode
    3. AF mode (REC is assigned to video direct rather than zoom mode as usual)

4. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    I have four set but "use" 3 mysets and set the appropriate one as the first step to every session.

1) Desired defaults, never really used unless something bad happens
    2) Bracket 5 shots, 1ev, multishot shutter mode, and similar to number 4
    3) Portrait mode, assuming low light and open aperture
    4) Main mode used for shooting landscapes, f5.6, ISO 200, assume Manual PASM

It is so important to set it before every session lest you wish to introduce unpredictable results!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Studio settings saved to 1, my outdoor saved to 2, lowlight to 3, and pop art to 4.

6. daveinamblerpa

daveinamblerpa Mu-43 Regular

first to daylight outdoor settings
    second to lowlight
    third to tripod

Dave

7. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Thanks guys. I'll probably use 5 bracketed shots to one of my MySets. Anyone else?

8. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    1) Standard
    2) Bracket +/- 1EV
    3) Tripod: IS=off, ISO=200 (in test)
    4) Timelapse: AE=M, AF=M, IS=off, ISO=200, No Raw 16:9/~1080res

keep, 'em coming!

9. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    1. Normal settings

2. Focus Peaking. Accessible through movie button.

3. HDR 5 exposures +-2EV. Accessible through SCN on mode dial.

Quick, easy, myset-y.

That is all.

P.

10. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I always shoot RAW+JPEG, and my best pictures usually end up as 12x16 inch black and white prints on a wall.

In my case the presets are:

1: High IQ settings colour , with auto ISO max 800, anti shock on
    2: Fast shooting settings colour: auto ISO max 3200, no anti shock, high refresh rate EVF
    3: depends on what my present fancy is; can be optimised for microscopy, IR shooting, studio work or whatever.
    4: set for high IQ black and white: ISO 200, JPEG set to black and white and colour balance set to 14000 kelvin so I get some usefull feedback in EVF or on the LCD (feedback comes from the JPEGS, but I use the RAW's for conversion).

11. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I don't find Myset quick or easy:
    1) Can't be renamed. If you edit them anytime I hope you can re-memorise them.
    2) Can't see, later, what settings each Myset has.
    3) Can't see which Myset is currently active/last used.
    4) Lot's of clicks to use another Myset. It keeps wild animals waiting.
    5) Confusing interface: "Set" to "Use" or "Set" to "Overwrite". Yet there is a pointless "Reset".
    6) Only 4 Mysets available. Just how many Gb does each one need?

Horrible, Horrible! Search "Myset" and you'll see many people on mu43 avoid it because of these and other ergonomic problems. Just what were Olympus thinking?

They should have put more effort into Mysets than the fancy Art Filter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I only use the line art filter for faux focus peaking when I MF.

I prefer to be actively engaged with every setting at "runtime" as a conditioning drill and to force myself to pay attention.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Just a few questions from my side:

@2: why switch off anti shock for fast shooting settings?
    @4: what kind of feedback you get when Kelvin is put at 14000? Better contrast or does the image on screen then more looks like what your endresults will be?

14. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I learned to remember all of my settings so if I Reset I can change them all in order. It's the only sure way to learn the Olympus menus inside and out!

That being said, I have two MySets, I've found the other things to be easily changed via SCP.

1. My defaults
    2. Focus Peak using the Keyline II filter

15. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    @2: Most 'fast shooting' I do is small events, with people giving speeches and handshakes and such. In those cases, both the lag of EVF and the lag of antishock tend to lead to closed eyes and other near misses in my pictures.

@3: hard to say, it somehow looks right to me. I think it is a matter of contrast that I like better. But also it is more in line of the b&w from old films (in old photo's of the Dutch flag, the red was darker grey then the blue, my setting look more like that). But as I said, in the end I use the RAW and do the conversion in Photoshop, it can go every way when I do that.

@ Ian: About seeing what current setting the camera is in; in my case I can tell the setting by the ISO when I turn the camera towards a dark corner (of hold my hand over the lens); ISO 800 means setting 1, ISO 3200 means setting 2 and ISO 200 means setting 4... I would prefer an easier access and visible setting to the My Settings, but this works for me.

16. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    To respond to your points:
    1) Would be nice, but I use the same four situations even if I tweak them, indoor, outdoor, low light, flash/strobe.

2) The Super Control Panel shows most of the settings on one screen. Otherwise go into every menu after choosing the MySet and you can see what the settings are.

3) Once you change ONE setting on the camera (including shutter speed or aperture), you are no longer using all the exact settings in the MySet you last chose. The whole idea of MySet is to do a custom reset on the camera to a specific default before you start shooting, and you move on from there...not keep the settings locked so you can't change them. The idea is when your environment changes you chose the appropriate MySet at the beginning of a shoot to reset the camera to a default. If I shot with the indoor MySet yesterday, and shooting indoor again today but under different lighting I will still select the indoor MySet again to restore the camera to a known default (even though I started with the same MySet yesterday) and then tweak the camera's settings for the particular indoor environment (white baance, etc.). Otherwise I may have tweaked a setting I may have forgotten I tweaked...with the indoor MySet I KNOW my starting point!

4) You only select the MySet at the START of the shoot...if I'm doing birds in flight I'll select the outdoor MySet before I start shooting, and then tweak the camera for action. I won't engage the MySet again that shot unless conditions change (like I go inside to shoot a reception), or I want to start with fresh settings.

5) I admit this could be cleaned up a bit, probably due to an English/Japanese translation issue.

6) I remember when there was only ONE MySet (or Custom Reset), then two, and now four. Do you really do so many different types of photography that you need more than 4?

17. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Don't ever change the use of those 4! Ever. Otherwise you'll confuse them with your old 4.
    You'd have to go in, then back to the SCP, then in to the menu again for each one. If they had the SCP pop up, for example, in the Myset menu, people would browse their Mysets so easily. See suggestion here.
    I will often use different Mysets in short succession. Even switching back and forth. If I'm visiting an old town for example lots of different situations occur. But anyway it is never necessary to make any GUI so clumsy.
    I'd rather not have more than 4. But changing deep settings is time consuming. So you are forced to use a Myset. And if you have combinations with focus and exposure it soon creates more. What are they saving with just 4 anyway?
    -------

Changing several settings in one go is slow. Myset was added to make it easy. So Myset's one job is to be quick and easy! It fails!
    Asking all the users to memorise stuff, or accept the limitations you suggest rather than do what they really want to do is such a shame when it is so unnecessary. Getting the usability right costs Olympus little effort. If it was a cheap camera, you maybe could forgive them a bit. But at this price! They were clearly distracted by SCN and ART modes.

Take a look at my Myset suggestion here.

I see they took a step in the right direcxtion with the EP-5 2x2 modes. Lets hope it continues.