1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Myset settings not sticking

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by a_hit_of_meth, Dec 11, 2015.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    I'm trying to compare the 0 and -1/6 settings for the base exposure settings quickly so I don't need to go into the menu to manually change it each time so I can get more accurate results.

I've set the Fn1 to 0 and fn2 to the -1/6 in the K menu for the exposure shift setting and saved them, everything else is the same. When I switch between the two modes, the fn mode shows up on the bottom left of the screen confirming the press but when I go into the menu to check the exposure shift value does not change.

I've done this twice without success, I don't know if I'm missing any steps here or if the base exposure setting for the metering is something that cannot be set to a myset?

2. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I don't understand exactly what it is you're trying to do regarding -1/6, but which camera is this we're talking about? Also, which lens, as things like a variable zoom will possibly make a difference? Are you sure you're saving the mysets correctly? Have you checked the EXIF on the two files rather than in the camera menu? Like I say, I'm just guessing at all these options as I'm not exactly sure what it is you're doing regarding base exposure metering....... :)

3. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    Sorry, I edited my first paragraph and forgot to include that I am using the E-m10. I'm trying to compare 0 and -1/6 setting for the base exposure on the evaluative metering. I'm pretty sure I am saving the Mysets correctly, I've assigned myset 1 with 0 exposure shift value to Fn1 and myset 2 with -1/6 exposure shift to fn2 so I can alternate easily without having to go through the menu and manually change the setting myself for each shot.

4. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I think you are referring to the "exposure shift" setting. It is possible to save exposure shift setting with Mysets with the E-M10. I have just tried it to check. However I didn't try assigning mysets to the function buttons, I just switched between them using the menu.

Two possibilities that come to mind are
    - There is something odd about this setting when mysets are assigned to the function button. It seems unlikely, but I think I have read about something like this in a different context. To test this, try changing between mysets via the menu and see if you get a different result.
    - You are not actually saving the setting when you think you are (this has certainly happened me, partly due to Olympus using "Set" with a variety of meanings instead of a clearer term like "Save"). To test this, try saving another setting along with the -1/6, something that will be really obvious on the display (like changing the picture mode to Monotone). When you try to use this myset, if you get the Monotone display but not the exposure shift, you know the issue is with exposure shift. If you don't get either you know it is with saving mysets in general.

5. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    I do remember changing the myset on the menu directly changed the exposure shift value when checked but when using the fn buttons it did not work.

One of my first thoughts was I was not saving it correctly, this also having happened in the past, I went through the settings thoroughly to make sure I did save the myset properly. I did the monotone thing separatley some time ago to test that I was saving it right, I used the same steps to save the exposure shift settings.

I'm going to try again tomorrow from scratch, I'm sure it's something I did wrong rather than some in camera quirk.

6. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    The more I think about this the more I have a feeling it is something to do with accessing Mysets via a function button. I never do this myself, but I have read that this is somehow more "temporary" than using the menu. Maybe when you go back into the menu to check the exposure shift settings this is actually undoing the Myset? You could try using a more extreme exposure shift initially, -1/6 may be difficult to spot but if you use use -1 the image should be visibly darker.

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Seriously - you want a Myset to change exposure bias by 1/6 stop!? Why not just use one of the wheels to control exposure comp and you can change it in an instant?

8. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Many people initially get confused by the Myset menu. This could be your problem.
    Here are my notes, if you follow them carefully all will be clear.
    Shooting Menu 1
    - Reset/Myset:
    -- Press OK then Yes to change the camera to the stored settings.
    -- Press Right arrow then Set to store new settings, or Reset to clear saved settings.

9. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    I would make Myset1, set the settings and ensure they are saved. Then I would alter just the exposure setting and create a myset2. Ensure it's saved.

Setting them as custom buttons creates toggle switches. I have never tried to switch from one myset to another via custom button. I always use the mode dial generally. I wonder if you aren't actually switching to the second one. Maybe you have to untoggle the first before going to the second in that way.

Set myset 1 and 2 to the mode dial and try using them like that just to test. I don't have my camera with me tonight or I would try it myself.