1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

MySet confusion

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MarkoPolo, Dec 19, 2014.

1. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    I must be slow on the uptake, but I cannot understand how to "activate" the MySets I have created. I have read the manual and the excellent Biofos guide. It seems you should be able to go to the mode dial (I am not wanting to set a button for MySets, at least at this time) and be able to choose which Myset you want (I have only the first two) and have the camera go to that MySet. I see no way to do that... only the same options to basic set ( or as I understand it, overwrite with current camera settings) or complete reset that erases everything. How in the heck do you choose and "use", "activate" or just make happen a MySet?
    I must say, Olympus could win an award for making this not user friendly or easy to understand. Or maybe I should win an award for being stupid :smile:

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    All you have to do is set the camera settings to what you wish to enable as a Myset, then go to Menu 1 Myset, select a Myset (set). Once you've done that, go to the Custom Menu (Cogs) and select Button/Dial/Lever, scroll down to Mode Dial Function and select the setting on the mode dial to correspond with the mode dial setting that you want for the Myset eg iAuto.

3. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    OzRay,
    Thanks. I'm getting closer, but when I went to move from MySet 1 to Myset 2 it just ducplicated the settings and now both are the same, I lost MySet 1---it is now the same as MySet 2. I still don't see how to choose between Mysets without overiding the old settings.

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    You have to select another dial setting in order to have more than one Myset eg iAuto for Myset 1, Art for Myset 2.

5. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    Gotcha! Finally sinking in. So you can have all four MySets different, you just have to go to cogs and mode dial setting to pick which one to activate. Just don't right click on arrow or that's when you override?

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    That's it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    The first thing is to be sure you understand the confusing menu system for MySets. Here are my personal notes, I hope this helps. The crucial point is that you only ever press the right arrow if you want to change the MySet.
    And don't forget to set the PASM wheel to the correct position just before you save the MySet, it remembers.

Shooting Menu 1
    - Reset/Myset:
    -- Press OK then Yes to change the camera to the stored settings.
    -- Press Right arrow then Set to store new settings, or Reset to clear saved settings.
    -- When changing settings, load the old settings, make the changes, make sure the PASM wheel and settings are correct, then save the settings.

Once you have meastered that, you can assign dial positions to MySets.

8. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    Thanks OzRay and Growltiger.
    I finally have got it through my thick skull. Its a great idea, but executed in a very vague and confusing manner. Was much easier with Canon and what I would wish for in the next software update, is the ability to label each MySet.

• Like Like x 1
  9. deltakilo

deltakilo Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2014
    Perth, Australia
    Dennis
    Selection of MySet presets is absolutely atrocious. They should be selectable from Super Control Panel and/or at least assign to a single button and then use dial to select desired preset.

• Like Like x 2
  10. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    But wait! There's more!!!!

It's even more atrocious and more annoying and just about utterly useless on the E-M5! (I'm a HUUUUGE fan of the concept, been using the C1/2/3 options on my Canons for eons. I haven't even bothered to set it up on my E-M5 due to the execution being such a pain in the neck).

• Like Like x 1
  11. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I have a suggestion: why doesn't Olympus make a replacement top cover for the PASM dial, with positions marked for MySets? A thin metal sheet one, which could be probably fitted non-permanently?

Then they could go on and sell it for $99 or something. :tongue:

12. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    No, Olympus should SCRAP the method using the mode dial, and it should only be done via the menu.

The whole idea of the MySet is to reset the camera to a default state, and then change one or two settings to the particular scene. You DON'T want to be locked into set of settings (you may as well use Auto for that).

Also should replace the first use of the word "set" with the word "load", and the second "set" with "reset" to "save" and "erase".

• Like Like x 1
  13. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I agree about Load and Save in the menu. The word Set should be banned.

But I love using the mode dial, I use the positions I would never ever use, like the composite setting. I would never use the P A S or M positions. Much faster than using a menu.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I did a tutorial on using the MYSETS a while back....

15. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Non-permanent dials are already a factory-installed feature on the E-M5...*badumm-pshhhh* I'll show myself out... :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    You can still change the settings, you're in no way locked in. It just gives you a great baseline to start. Here's how I had my Canon 5D Mark II set up:

C1: Building interiors. High ISO, low, but still hand-holdable SS, fast aperture.
    C2: Waterfalls, fountains, etc during the day: Low ISO, 1-2s SS, mid-aperture, 2 sec delay
    C3: Cityscapes, etc at night: Low ISO, 30s SS, mid-aperture, 2 sec delay

It was brilliant. I especially liked the convenience of being able to go from M to C1 when I was travelling. I had my "outside" daytime settings on M, then I'd walk into a church or a castle, and click one over to C1 and I was set for low light situations. Walk outside, click the mode dial over one, and I'm ready to shoot outdoors again. For someone who doesn't use auto anything (except for focus), the Custom positions are supremely valuable.

17. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I've found the best way is forget you even have Mysets !

• Like Like x 2
  18. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Sadly, that's the best solution. What I don't understand is why Olympus felt the need to reinvent the wheel on this one. It's a function that's been implemented across the board by pretty much all manufacturers in the same way. Why? Because it works. Then Oly came along and turned the whole thing on its head for no conceivable reason.

19. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    NO WAY!!!!

I'll NEVER give up the MySets!

There are a million settings you can change, and the MySet is the best way of resetting the camera to a specific default state, WITHOUT having to do a full reset, or going through every setting.

I have MySets for indoors, outdoors, long exposure, and studio...it's the fastest way for me to get the camera ready for a shoot.

If you're not taking advantage of MySets you're not taking full advantage of what the camera has to offer!

20. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I'm guessing you have an M1, not an M5....the implementation on the two cameras is completely different...the M1's is fine. The M5's is pathetic, painful and all but useless.

• Like Like x 1