My wishlist (partial) for a new E-M1 MkII

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Kazooless, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Kazooless

Kazooless Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2015
    Jeff Kazules
    In no particular order and not exhaustive:

• Dual Card Slots - both super high speed
    • Cross type phase detect focal points
    • minimum 24 Megapixels
    • in camera white balance set point by choosing a photo (instead of but in addition to the point and set AWB)

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, I personally don't crave any of these features and I doubt we'll get any of them - apart for perhaps the cross type PDAF points.

I'd personally be happy with some lower noise at higher ISOs and a hand holdable hi res mode. Keeping the tilt screen would be double bonus points!

For the wider market. I think it's essential that Olympus deliver much better CAF and probably 4k, but they won't be features I need.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    The new Nikon D500 is very tempting and the reason I cancelled my 300 Pro preorder. I'm not buying anymore lenses until I see what the EM1 mk2 has to offer. Without cross type PDAF focus points and improved continuous focus and tracking I'll probably sell my gear and switch. I'm not asking for D500 ability, just proof that Olympus is dedicated to improving the EM1 for sports photography.

4. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Not sure about cross type, do any other on sensor PDAF systems like Olympus's offer that? With their current method of PDAF that would mean likely losing double the pixels (PDAF pixels are essentially dead pixels for imaging use as I understand it), at some point you would think that interpolation would have a impact on image quality. Perhaps that could be offset with a 20mp sensor though. Or maybe something like Canon's Duel pixel setup.

Dual cards would be nice for backup/security.

5. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I'll be surprised if E-M1 mk2 doesn't have much improved CAF comparable to Sony. If there's a reason why it wouldn't, I haven't heard it.

I think it will almost for sure not have 24 megapixels. Olympus and Panasonic have both said it's hard enough to keep the noise level acceptable at 20, so my personal preference would be 12, but I'm expecting 18 or 20.

I think dual card slots is unlikely due to trying to keep the camera small.

White balance by choosing a photo sounds like something Oly would do if they've thought of it.

My wishlist is another stop of high ISO performance. But people posting here who understand the technology have mostly said one stop improvement isn't feasible.

6. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Compared to the MILLIONS of pixels on the sensor, the number used for PDAF is minuscule, I think currently 592 PDAF pixels compared to over 16 MILLION on the sensor. Sure, double that and even on a 16MP sensor you are still only talking about less than 0.01% of the pixels.

• Like Like x 1
  7. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    @PakkyT@PakkyT I have never seen actual numbers listed for pdaf pixels, do you have a reference for that (not second guessing, just interested). Remember though the PDAF pixels are concentrated in the middle (1/3?) of the sensor and to improve CAF they would likely have to up the numbers as well, the cross points alone won't necessarily do that.
    I would think at some point interpolation would have to have some effect, perhaps like you say it would take alot more, I don't know but there is rarely free trade-offs.

Sent via mu-43 app

8. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Samsung had 153 cross-type PDAF points in the NX1/NX500 sensor (ref: NX1 Camera | Samsung Australia) and I think some of Sony's recent sensors have them also.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Sure thing. Here are a couple places where they talk about it in some more detail. Usually these are buried in the articles so just search "PDAF" to find the relevant sections...

Olympus E-M1 Review - E-M1 Overview
    Robin Wong: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Review: Image Sharpness, Handling and Continuous Autofocus with Tracking

It appears each of the 37 PDAF "points" are made of up a block of 16x16 pixels each with 16 pixels dedicated to PDAF. So 16 pixels out of each 256 pixel block. 16 pixels times 37 focus points is how I came up with the 592 pixels dedicated to PDAF across the entire sensor.

Hope that's useful.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Kazooless

Kazooless Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2015
    Jeff Kazules
  12. Kazooless

Kazooless Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2015
    Jeff Kazules
    I'm fairly certain it was the Sony that has cross type. I do remember reading at least one of the other mirrorless cameras has them. The reason I want them of course is for better CAF for BIF, even though I'm pretty impressed already.

13. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I tried to find a mention and couldn't re sony but either way Samsung does/did so its definitely possible and my comments about the number of dead pixels is probably erroneous. Read a few articles on the NX1, it sure had a lot going for it, too bad Samsung has seemingly abandoned the mirrorless market. Maybe Olympus could strike a deal hardware wise with Samsung....