My wifes 35mm scans - world travels

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by siftu, May 9, 2016.

1. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I recently purchased a film scanner to get my wifes and my old negatives into our digital archive. The usual couple of shoebox's full of negative and prints type scenario. I started scanning my wifes ones and I was constantly in awe of her shots. These were shot of a P&S 35mm camera (unknown) with the cheapest film stock (Kodak Gold 200). The whole album is here. What do you think?

26836031725_efa2bb8b12_h. World Travels - 35mm by Siftu, on Flickr
    26801959646_04b22657d9_h. World Travels - 35mm by Siftu, on Flickr
    26801968306_9e6b3dfbaa_h. World Travels - 35mm by Siftu, on Flickr
    26230738474_3f14691605_h. World Travels - 35mm by Siftu, on Flickr
    26230742704_9ec5f68ec5_h. World Travels - 35mm by Siftu, on Flickr
    26231594333_d121c314a9_h. World Travels - 35mm by Siftu, on Flickr
    26563500820_50d543a5d3_h. World Travels - 35mm by Siftu, on Flickr
    26836067965_a852a53850_h. World Travels - 35mm by Siftu, on Flickr
    26802022156_63be1feeb6_h. World Travels - 35mm by Siftu, on Flickr

• Like Like x 17
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Great shots and your wife has a good eye.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. palombasso

palombasso Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2014
    Great photos. Loved the elephants on the Flickr feed.

P&s with cheap Kodak film. Can't beat the cost/benefit.

Care to share what film scanner? Been thinking of getting one (but don't have such nice pictures to scan)!

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Yes I experimented a bit with using my em5ii as a scanner. I even made a custom rig for it but getting the color right was just too time consuming. I ended up getting a pakon f-135. It can take a whole roll of film with a single press of the button, the colors which come out of it are great. Most of those pics have not been touched at all, they are straight out of the scanner. All these old negatives were in a strip of 4 or so frames so it was a little more work but still a lot faster than a flatbed or something.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    @siftu@siftu Very nice images. The scans look really good and the colors match what I remember of Kodak Gold 200.

Thanks for the information about the scanner. I have been looking for a solution for scanning all my negatives as well. If you decide to sell the scanner once you are done, I might be interested.

6. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Right now I plan on keeping it for a bit. I'm shooting some B&W and color. You can get them from AAA Imaging. Setup is a little interesting, you need a windows XP machine (I have it in a VM). There is a very good facebook group which supports the scanner including the software downloads. Once you get it up and running it makes shooting film a joy again. I get it developed only (no prints) and uncut so I can just feed the whole roll through. I develop (badly) my own B&W.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Thanks for the information. It is cool that you are shooting film again. I have not shot film in nearly 6 years and have not developed B&W since 1995! I see that you are in the Bay Area. Are you getting color film developed locally?

I see that AAA Imaging is selling these scanners on eBay. How is the scanning speed? I have an Epson Perfection flat bed which I bought years ago to scan my negatives. But I have not been able to go back and scan older negatives from the 90s. One of the problems I had was that the scanning was really slow and needed more attention from me than I could give it. I might pull it out again and see what I make of the process now. Otherwise, I am tempted to try the F-135.

8. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    The speed depends on the resolution you scan in. The f-135(non plus) is about half the speed than the f-135+.The + takes about 4 mins for a whole roll at base 16. Check out the scan on this youtube video and mine is about half the speed (I'm guessing 8 mins for 36 exposures?). Yes I'm getting it developed in SF, $5.50 a roll at Photo Plus on Polk street.

9. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Thanks for the youtube link. That's much faster than what I remember for my Epson scanner. I might try out Photo Plus the next time I am in that part of SF.

10. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    To be honest if you have a whole roll intact it doesn't matter how long it takes. You can leave it go unattended and come back when it's done. It's no the highest res scanner out there (3000x2000 max) but I figure if you really need higher res for a photo or 2 you can use the dslr or flatbed for that frame.

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I never shot much film for enlargements due to my age. But I'm surprised how poor the quality is when viewed on a large monitor. I honestly think an iphone beats it for noise sharpness and even DR (thanks to auto HDR) - which is probably why an iPhone (or similar) is good enough for the majority.

(not knocking the photography, just the film quality)

12. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I'm sure if a iphone 6+ was around 20 years ago she would have used something that. Personally I don't think any of the properties you mentioned would make that much of a difference with these images. I have plenty of sharp pictures of fuzzy subjects.

13. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No disagreement here.

It was more of an observation on why maybe the dedicated camera industry is not doing so well in many segments and how good even phone cams are now.

14. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    you've done a fine job of scanning!

and I agree with the other comments, a camera like an Older Olympus Trip 35 will do wonders ... and negative is actually the most lenient film to work with, all the fuss people make over chromes ... hard work are slides. Great projected, but that's where it ends.

15. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Great shots! Pop over to Amins sister site - Forever Film - we have a thread for old shots :)

16. musicwack

musicwack Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2015
    South Jersey
    James
    Amazing results that were taken with a 35mm P&S and Kodak Gold 200. I'm surprised that I'm digging the color tones from the Kodak Gold 200. These photos show that your wife has an artistic eye for photography!

17. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    just to add to this, its not unusual that people think that less tonality is available with negs because the scanner drivers are often too conservative. Even with a really challenging neg you can get this:
    top is what the software set to scan negative got:
    workFlowComparison.
    bottom is what setting to positive, manual settings and inverting does.
    in my view ...: Negative film scans on Nikon Coolscans

• Like Like x 5
  18. medroller

medroller Mu-43 Regular

I really enjoyed looking at film again. I have a lot of fun with digital, but I still view it as a computer game . I'd better finish off that roll sitting my OM10.

19. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I really like the tones/curves too. The P&S used, whatever it was had a warped shutter for years! Every few frames there was a nice light leak right in the middle of the frame :). It really drove home a lesson I already knew. It's not the gear.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Those are beautiful photos.