My Visual Diary 2021: winter bushland at dusk

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Typically, I struggle with overcast weather in any season, and winter naturally gives me the most grief. We've had a few consecutive overcast days this week, which left me feeling pretty blue.

Tonight, after a very cold day (for where I live), around 8°C, I asked my man to go for a stroll with me into nearby bushland for a refreshing walk.

I grabbed my GX9 and Sigma 56mm f/1.4 (my current favourite lens), and felt the chill melt away as I found my stalled creativity.

01247015-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

01247003-01.jpeg
01247005-01.jpeg
01247010-01.jpeg
01247007-01.jpeg
01247012-01.jpeg
01247013-01.jpeg
01247008-01.jpeg
01247014-01.jpeg
01247017-01.jpeg

01247020-01.jpeg

How do you banish your winter blues?

Gabyto

Mu-43 Rookie
Typically, I struggle with overcast weather in any season, and winter naturally gives me the most grief. We've had a few consecutive overcast days this week, which left me feeling pretty blue.

Tonight, after a very cold day (for where I live), around 8°C, I asked my man to go for a stroll with me into nearby bushland for a refreshing walk.

I grabbed my GX9 and Sigma 56mm f/1.4 (my current favourite lens), and felt the chill melt away as I found my stalled creativity.

View attachment 896609
View attachment 896601 View attachment 896602 View attachment 896603 View attachment 896604 View attachment 896605 View attachment 896606 View attachment 896607 View attachment 896608 View attachment 896611
View attachment 896612

Gabyto

Mu-43 Rookie
I tried to go out and take pictures of my surroundings during this season. My favorite seasons are spring and summer. I love to see the new wildlife coming to life . This sigma lens is very nice.

AaronE

Mu-43 All-Pro

View attachment 896609
View attachment 896601 View attachment 896602 View attachment 896603 View attachment 896604 View attachment 896605 View attachment 896606 View attachment 896607 View attachment 896608 View attachment 896611
View attachment 896612

Nice set of images. I like the reflection of your ute. You Australians have the best utes.

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Nice set of images. I like the reflection of your ute. You Australians have the best utes.
Thanks Aaron ?

No criticism intended, but an explanation: we don't call vehicles, such as this Pajero/Montero) a "ute" (nor "truck"). Ute is short for "utility" and originated as a "coupe utility", conceived to be a comfortable hybrid vehicle the farming family could use, based on a sedan instead of on a truck, with the addition of a tub or tray back.

And thank you, yes, we do have the best utes...though we sadly (?) never got the Subaru Baja. Oh, and USA made some true beauties, such as the Ranchero and Elcamino! Also, in other markets, such wonders as a Mercedes Benz ute from the 1970s. I don't have any utes in my personal collection, because my partner already has a Subaru Brumby, which would be my first choice.

Last edited:

mcgillro

Mu-43 All-Pro

View attachment 896609
View attachment 896612

Very nice set. I'm a bit the same in winter when it's grey, which it had been the last few weeks.

Sometimes I let GAS get the the better of me and buy a cheap Chinese prime to have fun with - which I did last week. The TT Artisans 35 f/1.4, which is fully manual. Intended it for the M5 Mk ii but can't get it lock on so it's on the M1 Mkii instead. Will have another play with it tomorrow and see if I can get it to lock onto the M5 again.

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Very nice set. I'm a bit the same in winter when it's grey, which it had been the last few weeks.

Sometimes I let GAS get the the better of me and buy a cheap Chinese prime to have fun with - which I did last week. The TT Artisans 35 f/1.4, which is fully manual. Intended it for the M5 Mk ii but can't get it lock on so it's on the M1 Mkii instead. Will have another play with it tomorrow and see if I can get it to lock onto the M5 again.
GAS certainly attacks most of us when we're idle! After a fairly frantic buying period, I think mine is slowing down now...or, at least, I hope it is. Your new lens sounds like a nice one to play with. I occasionally adapt my Canon FD lenses, and I love the output when I get it right, but there's a lot of frustration with it also.

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
Try being in lockdown/s and trying to have major house repairs done!

We've got up to about a quarter of the way through the outside painting now, after about a year ...

Solar PV panels and pool heater and cover might start installation next week.

Lovely piccies, Melanie.

mcgillro

Mu-43 All-Pro
GAS certainly attacks most of us when we're idle! After a fairly frantic buying period, I think mine is slowing down now...or, at least, I hope it is. Your new lens sounds like a nice one to play with. I occasionally adapt my Canon FD lenses, and I love the output when I get it right, but there's a lot of frustration with it also.

I enjoy my adapted lenses too - a couple of FDs, but I love the Minoltas the best.

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Try being in lockdown/s and trying to have major house repairs done!

We've got up to about a quarter of the way through the outside painting now, after about a year ...

Solar PV panels and pool heater and cover might start installation next week.

Lovely piccies, Melanie.
It may not be equivalent to other deprivations humankind has been through, but it has certainly been very trying, even for us lucky ones out in the country. My work moved into a new building a year ago, and there's still work supposed to have been completed on it, but fortunately our operation is unaffected by that.

Latest threads

Top Bottom