My Visual Diary 2021: Blacksmithing Demonstration

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Blacksmith Rob Nansen, of Jesse's Stump Blacksmithing & Bush Furniture in Melbourne, presented a demonstration for our community today. I went along to see something different, and watched Rob make an S hook and a fire poker - which, to my surprise, he sent me home with! How lucky am I? Rob engagaged the group with banter and gentle good humour, and impressed with his ability to turn around a make (the fire poker) which wasn't working out as intended - thereby showing an important life lesson about persistence and humility.

There were a lot of distracting elements in the background, from unsympathetic aluminium poles of the tent structure, to vehicles and picnic tables at the park, so it took a while for me to find the best angles to show his work appealingly. As usual, I intended shooting with two cameras (a zoom + a prime), but ended up just shooting with G85 + Panasonic 14-140mm mk2 to keep up with Rob as he moved around his makeshift workshop. This probably turned out to be prudent, as there was some ash blowing around, and this setup had at least some dust protection. I realise that the superzoom may not be many people's choice for best image quality, and I often consider just buying (at more than three times the expense!) the f/2.8 12-35 and 35-100 zooms to shoot in tandem, but I'd really miss the long end.

On another note, I am now finding it very uncomfortable to wear a shoulder bag (around 3-4kg) while shooting with only one camera for over an hour, let alone while carrying a second body and lens, and think I'm going to need to swap to a backpack. The other practical option may be to exercise/weight train specifically for improving my carry fitness, but it's the less likely thing for me to do! I have been reading a lot of the bag threads on the forum, and - like with anything - it seems there's no one solution to rule them all.

I am posting in sequential batches, as I usually do, to break up the image blocks.

Learn more about Rob's work at www.jessesstump.com.au

1220400-01-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
1220398-01.jpeg
1220095-01.jpeg
1220399-01.jpeg
1220433-01.jpeg

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
1220128-01.jpeg
1220303-01.jpeg
1220211-01.jpeg
1220283-01.jpeg
1220305-01.jpeg

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
1220327-01.jpeg
1220389-01.jpeg
1220407-01.jpeg
1220426-01.jpeg
1220434-01.jpeg

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
1220438-01.jpeg

Rob rubs raw beeswax into the finished item, scenting the air:
1220460-01.jpeg

1220466-01.jpeg

The End. Thanks for watching!

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Having now posted the photos, I can easily see that I seldom shot over 100mm this time, so perhaps I would be better served with the f/2.8 zooms. Would anyone care to comment on the likely improvement of IQ, over the superzoom?

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
Out of all my bags (who hasn't got a bag collection, that keeps breeding?), I far prefer the throw out table, $20 backpack for everyday use.

Specially now I use mFTs (I bought it about 10 years ago).

You are spot on, Melanie - it gets rid of the aching shoulders! And both my shoulders are knackered.

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
Very nicely presented Melanie.
Love blacksmithing and you've captured some interesting photos.

I used to walk home from school past a blacksmith shop and also a wheelwright. I'd stop off at the latter and watch and talk.

I find sling bags with wide, padded shoulder strap very effective.
If it's muscular I'd encourage exercise to keep things supple. Years of carting surveying gear of all sorts for miles over my shoulder wrecked things but exercise restored me.
I do silly looking exercises when out working without concern for what others think.
However if is structural then that's different.
Trust you find an effective solution.

Keep these interesting topics coming.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Excellent series. I think the shots provide plenty of subject isolation, they look great as far as noise control at normal viewing sizes, I think it's entirely up to you if you think the 2.8 lenses would actually add anything. And that's coming from a prime freak

Latest threads

Top Bottom