My Visual Diary 2020: faded glory of an old Australian shearing shed

Australia is often said to have been made 'on the sheep's back', referring - of course - to its illustrious wool industry. One of our beloved Aussie icons is the shearing shed, where once only men sweated over the annual wool clip. These days, of course, the wool industry is an equal opportunity employer: the cry of 'Ducks on the Pond!', which once signalled for the workers to mind their language as ladies were about to enter their vicinity, is no longer heard, as women and girls commonly work on the board.

This old shed had six stands (i.e. could have six shearers working in a line, making for a frantic workplace), and is one of the larger sheds I've been inside; sadly, it is no longer operating, but there is another woolshed on the farm which is. I jumped at the chance to have a photowander when invited in.

01245739-02.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
01245746-01.jpeg
01245749-01.jpeg
01245751-01.jpeg
01245758-01.jpeg
01245767-01.jpeg
01245770-01.jpeg
01245776-01.jpeg
01245777-01.jpeg
01245780-01.jpeg
01245781-01.jpeg
01245784-01.jpeg
01245788-01.jpeg
01245793-01.jpeg

01245795-01.jpeg

Fantastic series Melanie.
Our shearing sheds are true Aussie icons,deserving promotion.
"ducks on the pond". New one on me 🙂
Thanks for sharing
A few years ago, a shearing fundraiser called 'Ducks on the Pond' took place in Harrow Victoria (my community), at historic Clunie woodshed. It featured an all-female shearing team, and raised thousands of dollars for cancer research. Here's some coverage by ABC TV's Landline program:

Last edited:
I was able to return to this location on the weekend, and took a photo of the exterior:
DSCF7884-01.jpeg

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
Melanie, that stationary engine looks remarkably similar to my (previously owned) 1930s 2 1/4 HP Moffat Virtue I used as a pump engine on my little farm in the Adelaide Hills.

It used the same piston rings as a Wolseley 24/80 engine, fortunately (3" bore, IIRC).

Melanie you probably saw this, but post here for interest.
Errowanbang woolshed

Sadly the enthusiasm for help and support and preservation seems limited the further one gets from down town coffee shops :(

Mr Dicker said the stakes were high with buildings the age and size of the Old Errowanbang Woolshed.

"Quite simply, they just dilapidate to a state where they have to be demolished — that's the reality," he said.

Melanie you probably saw this, but post here for interest.
Errowanbang woolshed

Sadly the enthusiasm for help and support and preservation seems limited the further one gets from down town coffee shops :(

Mr Dicker said the stakes were high with buildings the age and size of the Old Errowanbang Woolshed.

"Quite simply, they just dilapidate to a state where they have to be demolished — that's the reality," he said.
Thanks Richard, I hadn't seen that. It's the sad fate of irreplaceable historic buildings everywhere, where funding for preservation isn't available.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom