1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

My very versatile E-PL3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RenaudVL, Jul 21, 2012.

1. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Hello,

Just tested my newly modified E-PL3. I did the mod myself. I have opted for a clear glass modification (Edmund Optics, optical quality glass) to allow for full spectrum astrophotography, which I have been doing with Canon camera for a few years. I am planning to do wide field test with the Olympus :43: fast primes. More to come...

And also by adding a Hoya R72 filter on the lens it is a great Ir camera.

I have also ordered a X-NiteCC1 from maxmax.com to use the camera as a second body, this filter bring it back to it original white balance.

Here are some IR samples...
    I am really please with the result

• Like Like x 11
  2. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    What a fun project. I wouldn't dare tear my E-PL3 open, but I'd love to with some guidance.

3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +1
    I agree, RenaudVL, fabulous results! :smile:

4. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

Nice, this looks really interesting.

5. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Don, this particular camera was a bit more challenging to modify than expected, I would not recommend truing it if you have never done it. Of the Olympus lineup the E-PL1 was the easiest one to do, it would allow to experiment and still get a camera that would provide good result.

I considered documenting the process, but I just don't have the time to invest into this...

Thanks everyone, it is a fun project.

• Like Like x 3
  6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thanks so much for sharing this project and photos. I've been reading about a couple companies who do these conversions (Spencer's & Life Pixel), and they mention performing the work in a clean room.

How did you manage to keep dust & other debris from getting inside your camera? I understand you don't have time to document such an involved modification, but I'm really curious as to how you managed to keep your camera clean inside. :smile:

7. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Good point, dust is not to be neglected. I do not have a clean room.
    I take a number of precautions to minimize the risk. So far I have been lucky. Also the fact that I have done many cameras helps developing a technique that helps minimize the risk. In this case I prepared everything in advance,
    1- Clean my glass and put it in a Ziploc,
    2-Removed every screw needed.
    3- Then I lift the vibrating glass,
    4- Remove the filter.
    5- Put the vibrating glass back in place.
    6- Then get the glass from the Ziploc, with rubber gloves (the type with no powder inside)
    7- Re-open the vibration glass
    8- Gently plow some air, install the clear glass
    9- Blow more air, very gently…
    10- Close everything

Dust on sensor is a real pain for sure, and show up less if you shoot wide open, as the depth of field increase the more chance for dust to show up. I do also keep my working area a mush clean as possible…

Another company that offer that service is Kolari Vision. They were nice enough to answer a question that I had when doing the mod…

Next step testing it for astrophotographie…

• Like Like x 1
  8. jpil

jpil Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2012
    This looks really interesting.

9. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    That's amazing looking. Personally, I probably would not have done it to a practically-new camera, maybe an EPL2. ;) but great results.