My very versatile E-PL3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RenaudVL, Jul 21, 2012.

1. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Hello,

Just tested my newly modified E-PL3. I did the mod myself. I have opted for a clear glass modification (Edmund Optics, optical quality glass) to allow for full spectrum astrophotography, which I have been doing with Canon camera for a few years. I am planning to do wide field test with the Olympus :43: fast primes. More to come...

And also by adding a Hoya R72 filter on the lens it is a great Ir camera.

I have also ordered a X-NiteCC1 from maxmax.com to use the camera as a second body, this filter bring it back to it original white balance.

View attachment 219125

Here are some IR samples...
    I am really please with the result

View attachment 219126

View attachment 219127

• Like Like x 11
  2. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    What a fun project. I wouldn't dare tear my E-PL3 open, but I'd love to with some guidance.

3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +1
    I agree, RenaudVL, fabulous results! :smile:

4. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

Nice, this looks really interesting.

5. RenaudVL

Mar 21, 2011
    Don, this particular camera was a bit more challenging to modify than expected, I would not recommend truing it if you have never done it. Of the Olympus lineup the E-PL1 was the easiest one to do, it would allow to experiment and still get a camera that would provide good result.

I considered documenting the process, but I just don't have the time to invest into this...

Thanks everyone, it is a fun project.

• Like Like x 3
  6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thanks so much for sharing this project and photos. I've been reading about a couple companies who do these conversions (Spencer's & Life Pixel), and they mention performing the work in a clean room.

How did you manage to keep dust & other debris from getting inside your camera? I understand you don't have time to document such an involved modification, but I'm really curious as to how you managed to keep your camera clean inside. :smile:

7. RenaudVL

Mar 21, 2011
    Good point, dust is not to be neglected. I do not have a clean room.
    I take a number of precautions to minimize the risk. So far I have been lucky. Also the fact that I have done many cameras helps developing a technique that helps minimize the risk. In this case I prepared everything in advance,
    1- Clean my glass and put it in a Ziploc,
    2-Removed every screw needed.
    3- Then I lift the vibrating glass,
    4- Remove the filter.
    5- Put the vibrating glass back in place.
    6- Then get the glass from the Ziploc, with rubber gloves (the type with no powder inside)
    7- Re-open the vibration glass
    8- Gently plow some air, install the clear glass
    9- Blow more air, very gently…
    10- Close everything

Dust on sensor is a real pain for sure, and show up less if you shoot wide open, as the depth of field increase the more chance for dust to show up. I do also keep my working area a mush clean as possible…

Another company that offer that service is Kolari Vision. They were nice enough to answer a question that I had when doing the mod…

Next step testing it for astrophotographie…

• Like Like x 1
  8. jpil

jpil Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2012
    This looks really interesting.

9. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    That's amazing looking. Personally, I probably would not have done it to a practically-new camera, maybe an EPL2. ;)  but great results.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.