My two legacy lenses I recently picked up

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Darthpnoy88, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Darthpnoy88

Darthpnoy88 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Recently acquired two 50mm lenses one Olympus OM 50mm F1.8, 2nd is Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 50mm F1.4 I believe the 7 element version if I'm not mistaken. Still trying to hang of manual focus been so spoiled by autofocus for quite a while. Hopefully with enough practice I can share some photographs soon.

Attached Files:

2. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Those are two great lenses,I have them both.I actually have a drawer full of good legacy glass that is collecting dust now.I see you don't have an evf.That would probably be money well spent if you intend to use those manual focus lenses.It should make a world of difference.
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have to agree that an EVF helps a lot! The VF2 is better than VF3 but is a bit more expensive. Cameta has refurbed VF2s at VF3 prices.

Practice focusing in good to moderate light on a sheet of paper with text printed on it{that is if you don't have a focus chart}. This is a technique I use when checking out a new legacy lens. You could also find a focus chart online and print it off{just make sure the image resolution is high and the printer can print it without loss of detail}.

One thing that can drive you mad is that some lenses focus clockwise and others counter-clockwise. Nikkors are the most notorious at being backwards{clockwise to infinity}. Most other brands and most 3rd party lenses focus the other way. I am an old Nikon user so the 'other" lenses drive me bats!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Great lenses. Using these to practise focusing will be very helpful if you find a nice macro lens. :cool:
  5. Darthpnoy88

Darthpnoy88 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Thanks for the tips gentlemen :) will definitely keep them in mind
  6. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Ditto on the evf comments. I found it near to impossible to get sharp images with my legacy lenses until I added the vf2 to my arsenal. Afterwards, it was not only possible... it was fun. As a side benefit, the vf2 and pl2 are a lovely couple.