My two least used lenses

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tkbslc, May 26, 2015.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm at about the 4 month mark in my m4/3 conversion from Canon. I'm finding I have almost no shots with either the 14-42 II or the 45mm f1.8 - aside from some random testing. The 14-42 just doesn't come out of the bag much considering I have the 15mm f1.7 and 25mm f1.8 and other lenses for longer shots.

I really don't know why I am not using the 45mm f1.8 because it seems like it would be a very useful lens. Just seems like I always go for the 25mm f1.8 or 60mm macro. 45mm and 25mm seem to give very similar output and be useful in similar conditions, and the 25mm is more versatile. And when going out with a small kit, the 60mm seems like a more useful companion to the 25mm.

Not sure where I am going with this. It just seemed interesting that these were two lenses that everyone (and my own logic) said were no-brainer lenses and then I'm not using them really at all day-to-day.
  2. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Which lenses someone uses are a very personal thing. It seems that for you there is no need for anything in between 25 and 60mm. Apparently you also don't take a lot of shots at the wide angle side of things.

Personally, I am quite similar in that I only use the 60 and 20mm for day to day stuff, but I got myself a nice ultra-wide for when I go hiking.
  3. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    Everyone has favorite focal lengths and it's possible that a 90mm focal length may not be in your comfort zone or you just don't like it.

For me, sometimes I tend to shoot in spurts with a certain focal length for a month or two, although 28mm, 35mm and 50mm is pretty much where I live. I also own the O45/1.8 and recently picked up the O60/2.8 Macro lens, even though I'm not a macro guy. The O60/2.8 is just too good of a lens optically to pass up. Since I bought the lens a week ago, it hasn't come off my camera and I've already shot around 250 frames with it and the more I shoot with it, the more I'm liking it.

What you might want to do is to challenge yourself by committing to the 45/1.8 for a day, a week or even a month and only shooting with that one lens. Get over the preconceived notion that a 90mm focal length is great as a portrait lens. This will challenge you to see things in that focal length and find new inspiration as well.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  4. tkbslc

I like that idea.
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Get yourself a beautiful partner : problem solved.
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. tkbslc

I have an overabundance of good portrait subjects with my 5 daughters! I just seem to use the 25mm more often.

(Not that my wife isn't beautiful, she just doesn't enjoy modeling)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. tkbslc

My wife framed one of my pics today. Only one she's framed from my m43 kit so far. Guess what lens it was from?

(pardon crummy phone snapshot)

Yes, that is from the 45mm. Guess quality beats quantity of shots?
    • Like Like x 2
  8. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I don't really use the Oly 45 which is ridiculous considering it's quality and it being the lens which convinced me to go m43. You can blame the Oly 75 for that (as well as the Pany 25) and its not an uncommon situation amongst many members here. I think a challenge to use it is required.
  9. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    My newest lens is the 25mm, but I still prefer the 45mm, except for it's lack of close focus ability. The 60mm is more versitile than both when outdoors (for me at least).
  10. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    The 45mm FL is intended for portraiture, but of course it can do other things. But it will hardly compete with, say a 25mm, for flexibility. If you can keep it along with the 60mm, you have a solid set with the 15mm on the wider end.
  11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I use my 45 a lot these days but there have been times when it's stayed in the bag. I guess it's just the way we change and evolve photographically. I used the little 12-32 a lot this week and wanted it to go longer. Maybe I should get a 12-40? It's a pity that the 12-60 is so damned big, it's a great FL range and they are dirt cheap now.
  12. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I have too many lenses and too little time or talent to use them effectively. I have the Oly 17, PL 25, Oly 45, 60 macro, and 75. I agree with the comment that the 60 works well outdoors. We take the dogs in the woods and beaches and I really like the lens in that environment. Long enough to isolate details and give some telephoto compression, pretty good focal length for the dogs, and I really like the close focus capabilities. I also seem to gravitate to the 17. I was looking at a set I took with the PL25 and was thinking I really need to use that a lot more. Optically the 75 is fantastic, I just find I don't use it much and really should sell that one. I don't use the 45 much either but it's so small, light, and at this point not really worth much so I'll keep it. I also kind of like the 17, 45 combo. Camera, two lenses (one in pocket) and nothing else. I like the idea of marrying a lens and working only with it for a while. In one of his books David DuChemin (SP?) said if he had his way every new photography student would have to use only 1 lens and shoot only black and white for a year.
  13. tkao2025

tkao2025 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2014
    I'm in a similar boat. I have a bunch of lenses and the 2 I use most are the 17mm 1.8 and my voigtlander 25mm. They seem most versatile for most situations and especially for low light. Now I'm thinking of picking up a 12-40 and selling the 45mm and the 40-150, which I've used once. I'll keep the Panasonic 100-300 for the length if I ever need it. Most of my photos are pictures of my kids, street, and some landscape, so most times I don't use a focal length longer then 40mm.
  14. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I have the O45 and while I don't use it often, I like it. It is the perfect complement to a 17 or 25mm prime. I find that owning the O12-40 does not change my use of the O45. While most of my photographs are in the 12 - 25mm range I like the O45 for taking pictures of plant specimens in the garden, artwork, architectural details, b-camera for videos, museums, etc. It's most common use, portrait work, is the thing that I do not use it for, preferring the 25mm.
  15. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Since the 45mm is usually too close for indoor portraits I'm expecting more use out of mine as we get ootdoors more during the summer.