My two Honorable Mentions at International Photography Awards (IPA) 2020 in Macro-category.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It just so happened, that I got two Honorable Mentions in International Photography Awards (IPA) 2020 competition, meaning I was in the top 45 in non-professional Macro-category. :)

I have photographed only for 4,5 years (and have owned a macro objective for 2,5 years), so naturally I'm extremely grateful for these Honorable Mentions. It also helps knowing that my photo editing was successful.

In the first photo two ants hug each other, while aphids do "cow's job" in the insect world.

Another Honorable Mention came from a collage, which consists of 9 photos (taken in a span of 40 days) of flies in backgrounds of rainbow's colours.

Equipment used was a good affordable combination, meaning Olympus E-M10 II + Olympus 60mm f/2.8 Macro + Raynox-lens + smallest Godox-flash, which can cost about 800 € in total.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A Loving Community:

https://www.photoawards.com/winner/zoom.php?eid=8-188045-20

All-Fly Zone:

https://www.photoawards.com/winner/zoom.php?eid=8-188966-20

All are ISO 200 & cropped by ~0-5 %, edited with Dxo Photolab 3.

Apertures were f/11 - f/14, so this gives a good hint at how much diffraction really matters. Although of course maybe I would have won with less of it. ;)

Instagram: @soul_in_reflection

(My webpage is not up yet.)

Attachments

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks everyone! Not the greatest achievement, but the competition is surely tough in these competitions.

Photographing insects in Finland is not the same as in more tropical environments. But at least I don't have to fear any poisonous ones, so respect to those who live more dangerously.

I keep publishing photos in the Olympus 60mm thread. Let's hope we get the 100mm one at some point. :)

doxa750

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Narin
It just so happened, that I got two Honorable Mentions in International Photography Awards (IPA) 2020 competition, meaning I was in the top 45 in non-professional Macro-category. :)

I have photographed only for 4,5 years (and have owned a macro objective for 2,5 years), so naturally I'm extremely grateful for these Honorable Mentions. It also helps knowing that my photo editing was successful.

In the first photo two ants hug each other, while aphids do "cow's job" in the insect world.

Another Honorable Mention came from a collage, which consists of 9 photos (taken in a span of 40 days) of flies in backgrounds of rainbow's colours.

Equipment used was a good affordable combination, meaning Olympus E-M10 II + Olympus 60mm f/2.8 Macro + Raynox-lens + smallest Godox-flash, which can cost about 800 € in total.

View attachment 855468 View attachment 855469

A Loving Community:

https://www.photoawards.com/winner/zoom.php?eid=8-188045-20

View attachment 855480

All-Fly Zone:

https://www.photoawards.com/winner/zoom.php?eid=8-188966-20

View attachment 855471

View attachment 855472

View attachment 855473

View attachment 855474

View attachment 855475

View attachment 855476

View attachment 855477

View attachment 855478

View attachment 855479

All are ISO 200 & cropped by ~0-5 %, edited with Dxo Photolab 3.

Apertures were f/11 - f/14, so this gives a good hint at how much diffraction really matters. Although of course maybe I would have won with less of it. ;)

Instagram: @soul_in_reflection

(My webpage is not up yet.)
You throughly deserve it man....Congratulations.

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
Great work and testimony to the fact that:
A) it is the person behind the camera more than the camera
B) The small affordable packages Olympus offers are extremely capable
Keep shooting and sharing! The pressure is on because the entire forum now expects the next batch to come in Top 25 :D

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Great work and testimony to the fact that:
A) it is the person behind the camera more than the camera
B) The small affordable packages Olympus offers are extremely capable
Keep shooting and sharing! The pressure is on because the entire forum now expects the next batch to come in Top 25 :D
Thanks! Yeah, E-M10 II is a small wonder camera. I have still used it for macro, eventhough I planned GX9 for it.

There is still warranty in my E-M10 II so thought that I will use it until it expires. Quality seems to be enough, if you get close enough to your subjects. I basically don't crop more than 10 %, or that is my rule for quality, but mostly try to stay below 5 % crops.

The interesting thing about the ant photo was the fact that there were some harsh highlights as those ants are so shiny. This didn't seem to affect the judges much.

I always wonder a bit how the better DR (from FF for example) would help me, but have currently come to the conclusion that I might get a bit better results with the best FF, but the size & weight of the equipment would get me worse results. Plus I can't get over f/22 in single shots with FF, so most of these photos would not be possible.

An example with Sony A7RIV with Sony 90mm Macro weighs ~1300g and my combination weighs ~600g, so it's over half the weight. Anyone can try to hand-hold these weights for an extended period of time and think how it affects sharpness, while you just have to shoot when the insect is there.

Even if I am a woodcutter by profession, and have some strength in my hands from chainsaw handling, I still prefer as light combination as possible. I'm not even sure what is the smallest Godox flash for FF, likely would bring more weight.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom