My trip to the PDN show

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Kpfeifle, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Hello All,
    So...thought this might be of interest to somebody. Had the GX7 on preorder for a while, since the NYC show was coming up, I decided to cancel the preorder and take a look at it in person. I walked into the show 99% certain that I would be buying the panasonic. Walked out wanting to buy the E-M1! Image quality on either camera (an honestly on my E-PL5) is excellent, so it is really a question of ergonomics for me at this point. I really don't like the control layout on my camera. Looking at both of them I just preferred the Olympus by a wide margin. It was not as big as I thought it would be and I got to handhold it with a bunch of the lenses I own (and one that I would like to)! Just a really great feel to it and everything falls naturally to my hand. Now I just have to wait for stock, and decide how to come up with the extra money.

Since I was there, I looked a the fuji's, really did not care for that camera in hand...felt somewhat awkward to me. I also took a look a the new full frame sony's, great camera and I liked it...but out of my ballpark in price. Lastly had a stop by the DXO software booth, the new version of Optics Pro is really nice, looks like they made quite an improvement on noise reduction. I will be updating my copy to the new version!

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The full name of the show is Photoplus Expo, PDN is one of the sponsors. Olympus wasn't making it very public, but they had a camera Test Drive program going on. I filled out a form, gave them a CC# and shot with an E-M1 for an hour. I had a nicer feel to it than the my E-M5 and the ergonomics were quite a bit better, but the IQ isn't noticeably better than the 5. I also handled the GX7 and it was not in the same class as the Olympus. I'm sure the IQ is about as good, but the feel isn't. Wasn't all that impressed by the feel of the Fuji's either.