My take on upgrading the EM-5 to MKIII status

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BushmanOrig, Dec 6, 2017.

1. BushmanOrig

BushmanOrig Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2015
    Siegfried
    I used the EM-5 MKII little more than 2 years and had great respect for its ability. In fact I sold my EM-1 at the time and kept the EM5 MKII. Everything about the EM-5 MKII was great to me personally......probably one of the best bodies available.

Having experienced the 20MP sensor in the EM-1 MKII it was clear that a EM-5 MKIII would be awesome with a 20MP sensor. That is until I bought a PEN F recently.

The reason I bought the PEN F were I were lucky to get it at a great price 2nd hand and I thought I try it and sell it again. I always liked the PEN cameras, the EP-3 and EP-5 are great cams but very different to the OMD series.

The PEN F moved very close to the OMD series, especially when fitted with the Olympus add-on grip. In terms of movie capability the PEN-F is a great continuation of the EM-5 MKII, the only thing the PEN F lack are the mic input, but that is OK as I always use a separate Olympus recorder....

Everything else on the PEN F is an awesome upgrade on the EM-5 MKII, the creative add-ons are amazing, the 20MP sensor awesome and the unique similar feel in the hand to the EM-5 MKII is astonishing.

What can Olympus do to better the PEN F and not overlap to much into the EM-1 MKII space....add some of the EM-1 MKII focus capability or 4K?

My take will be Olympus should really focus on specialization if they think of launching a EM-5 MKIII. Really move up the video capability or what? (I wanted to add picture capability....but what can Olympus add that is not in the EM-1 MKII or the PEN F)

The awesome PEN F basically filled the EM-5 MKIII space.....that is my take!!!

2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Weather sealed is #1

3. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Sorry, some rant from my side, I did not upgrade to the shiny PEN-F because:

- EVF is flickering like crazy with artificial light. Tried all flicker reduction settings available, but they don't work.
    - EVF has slow frame rate
    - EVF is much smaller than EM5ii EVF
    - EV comp dial is really hard to operate
    - C-AF issues, even worse than EM5 ii
    - not this many firmware updates

If Oly would bring a second PEN-F with updated EVF, up-to-date C-AF and serious firmware support, the camera would become as awesome as the advertising made me believe ...

Christof

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

I think there was a degree of acceptance of the M1ii's and PEN F's deficiencies based on the belief that they would roll out firmware updates to improve performance fairly quickly, but they still haven't done anything substantial to either camera. It's a real pity, I think the E-P5 showed that olympus can actually be shamed into improving things given enough stimulus, if there had been some campaign to push AF performance or video forward along the same lines they might have responded. But it seems like a lot of the community would rather say things are fine in order to win forum wars with other cameras than demand better.

5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I am guessing you are a very angry person since you have started exactly 2 threads on this forum. This one which is basically a bitch session about Olympus and the other thread about Panasonic. I highly suggest you sell all your m4/3 gear and buy into Sony or Nikon or Canon.......

:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    My biggest recommendation to Olympus would be that they include PDAF sensors in the em1,em5 and penf/ep line. Weather sealing for all those would be great as well.

7. BushmanOrig

BushmanOrig Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2015
    Siegfried

You did not really read my posts? One see this in politics today extreme reaction versus a willingness to discuss....:))

8. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I never comment without reading..........................

9. BushmanOrig

BushmanOrig Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2015
    Siegfried
    Did you read my reply to the Panny post? :))

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I certainly hope not. I have a Pen F and I like it but there are times when I think it's a bit too much form over substance and over priced for what it is. In particular :

- For a camera at its price point it should have got the larger viewfinder of the E-M1 etc and not the one shared with the budget E-M10ii.

- CAF is a complete train wreck. Worse even than the original E-M5.

- No firmware updates to speak of and the camera is coming up to 2 years old. There is so much that could be done to improve it via firmware IMHO.

- No weather sealing.

- I wish it had a tilt-only screen and not the floppy screen.

I'm not in a hurry to replace my Pen, but I certainly hope the next E-M5 is significantly better than it.

11. BushmanOrig

BushmanOrig Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2015
    Siegfried
    I sold my EM5 MKII to pay for the PEN. I have not used the PEN enough to comment on your reply. My 1st impressions are great, in fact I picked the PEN up the other day and for a moment it felt like the EM5. What I really like about the PEN is the creative options, the sensor and the IQ. I fully agree on updates, something I appreciated a lot with the EM5 MKII and the EM1 MKI. It will be sad if Olympus does nothing on known questions on the PEN F :)