My take on the G3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jon595, Nov 12, 2011.

1. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    I just got back from a short trip with the G3. I was really happy with it and think that it solves my main complaints with the GF1 that I had (and sold). The lack of a quality EVF and the sensor performance were my biggest gripes. My full writeup and sample pictures are here. I hope this helps anyone still on the fence about it.

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Curious about your complaint about the write speed. What kind of cards are you using, and do you format them in the camera?

I use a Patriot class 10 as my primary, and a Sandisk class 6 as the backup, and never had any problems.

3. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    It's a Transcend 8GB class 10. I always format it in the camera. It's not awful, but there is a lag between shooting a picture and being able to review it. It is not a deal breaker by any means, but you have to complain about something, right?

4. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I think your memory card is the problem. I had two Transcend 8GB class 10 cards and was not satisfied with the write speed of the camera. Also I had intermittent failures when trying to record videos at 24 Mbps. Then I replaced my Transcend cards with Toshiba class 10 cards and those problems completely went away.

5. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    Thanks for the tip. I was planning on getting another card soon anyway. I like my Lexar and SanDisk compact flash cards, so I was going to get one of those brands in SDHC for the G3. Hopefully that gives it just a bit more speed, if not, the camera is still awesome.