My take-away from today's Apple event

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dornblaser, Sep 9, 2015.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I watched the Apple event today, and it was long. Here are my take-aways that are relevant to m4/3's:

1. 12 megapixel camera is going to put even more pressure on lower end camera systems
    2. Apple's noise reduction system sounds promising
    3. 4k IS the new standard. The new iPhone can both record and edit 4K. It looks like the iPad is even more capable. Even iMovie can now edit 3 streams of 4K simultaneously. Are you paying attention Olympus?
    4. Live Photos is way cool. Seriously cool. It may not appeal a lot of the posters here, but I predict that the rest of the planet will love it. The concept is that the take a picture 1.5 seconds before and after you picture and the result looks like a short video, probably more like an animated GIF. Watch one of the keynote videos, it is going be seriously popular.
    5. The iPad Pro changes everything. It may be the perfect mobile photographer's device. Look at the Keynote video. Adobe has new apps just for the iPad Pro. PhotoShop fix is going to be a winner. Seeing clips of the new Photos with Force Touch is, Dahhhh ..... this is what Apple had in mind when they discontinued Aperture.
    6. Oh, yeah, Adobe has new apps just for the iPad Pro and iOS 9. Adobe PhotoShop fix will be a must have.

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  2. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Wake up Mike!

• Like Like x 1
  4. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Huh!! What's up?

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    How do I get my "real" photos to this new IPAD? Does it have a USB port yet?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    No, never will, use the SD dongle.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    The GX8 is the first camera I've used that has WiFi. It is very convenient to transfer jpeg pics wirelessly to my iPhone 6 Plus. And there are some very effective photo editing apps out there.

The iPad Pro will be a serious tool for artists as well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I've never really used my iPad for photo editing as I like using a mouse. Maybe that new Apple Pencil will make a difference. I would definitely like to see more about the new 12 mp iPhone camera. Even better, now I could potentially ignore 4K video on my phone too.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Kinda bummed that all the new iPad features are only for the iPad pro... I prefer my tablets to be on the mini size, my 13" mbp is already as large as I'd want a portable device to be, I don't need another device the same size. I guess I'll have to wait till next year's iPad mini 5 to see if it's actually got the hand-me-downs from the pro. Same with the pencil only working with the pro... people always want the bigger items, gimping the smaller and more portable ones.

The live photo kind of reminds me of Cinemagraphs and the 4k capture of the gx8/gh4.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm getting really annoyed at paying $150-200 extra for 128gb of memory when I can get a 256gb SSD for $75 these days and add 64gb to an android for $20.

Crippling the connectivity and storage expansion makes it less attractive as a portable photo workstation. I think the surface still wins there.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Sure, Surface has it's place and followers, it is a nice machine. In a lot of ways, the new iPad Pro copies it. It was fascinating to me was to see a Microsoft exec up on the stage at an Apple Keynote event demonstrating Office designed to run on the new iPad Pro.

• Like Like x 1
  12. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Fwiw, New Surface models coming next month supposedly.

13. buzzrobot

buzzrobot Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2015
    More megapixels will always sell cameras, despite people muttering that *they* don't need any more. The folks who make sensors aren't going to stop cramming more pixels into the same space. Customers who are interested in the amount of data a sensor can record will welcome those performance boosts.

To convince someone who uses a phone to take pictures to buy a camera, camera makers need to offer functionality that phones don't. Since so much functionality is software-based, i'm not sure what a camera can offer that can't, potentially, be duplicated in a phone. Interchangeable lenses are an obvious difference, but buying them, learning to use them, and carrying them around is a big downside for the casual user.

Using wifi or NFC to send pix to a phone or tablet when you're out and about seems to me a useful safety precaution, a backup. Pros who want to cull or edit hundreds of shots at the end of the day can save time by wifi'ing image files as they're created.

14. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It changes absolutely nothing since the Surface pro does exactly the same things and can run *any* windows program without issues, it doesn't need specialized versions.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    It changes nothing for you. That is a long way from it changing nothing. Many people prefer Apple products over Windows products. For them it has the potential to change things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Wasn't really plugging the Surface. Just annoyed how Apple still wants to cripple key features.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Surface is nice product. And, Apple does design their products outside of many people's comfort levels. Surface and iPad Pro are very different products and they will appeal to different niches. And, no, Surface cannot do everything that the iPad Pro can do and vice versa.

I did not want to start a Windows vs. Apple discussion, I just wanted to share some thoughts for those interested in the Apple ecosystem.

• Like Like x 1
  18. buzzrobot

buzzrobot Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2015
    Hardly any Windows users will go through everything involved in migrating to Apple simply to use the iPad Pro. The same applies to Apple users and the Surface. Two distinct software worlds, as Apple and Microsoft like, want and intend.

So, asking whether or not the iPad Pro changes everything is pointless. It's just throw-away marketing hype. A big iPad will sell to people who are already committed to Apple and want a large tablet. Presumably, it's available now because the costs have dropped enough to allow Apple to market it at it's preferred price point and profit margin.

Note, though, this is a tablet intended to replace PC's and laptops. There's no demand in the market to go the other way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I have an iPad, iPhone, Mac Air and HP desktop windows system which I use all together. It's not really that hard to move stuff around. Lots of folks I know at my university have both Apple and Microsoft products and use them for their strengths. I can't see why a windows user would hesitate to buy an iPad. I agree that an Apple user is far less likely to buy a Surface, but that's more a matter of "religion" than technology.

20. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    As an Apple user I don't buy windows or android stuff because I lose the seamless integration of using all Apple products. There is just something wonderful with how Steve it put "It just works"