1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My special E-PL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pharaviel, Aug 12, 2012.

1. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    I finally got my E-PL1 into my hands, after a month of shipping and stop on the border. Unfortunately the custom issue prevented me to bring the camera on my mountain trip, but I had some chance to test it anyway.

Why buy an EPL1 when I already have an EPL2 and EM5?
    Let's just say THIS camera has some trick up her sleeve.
    Photo-011.JPG

Before it arrived to me from Cameta, I sent the camera to Lifepixel to have it converted for infrared. Just a couple of picture I had time to shoot:

My Facebook timeline cover:
    timel.

I had already book a set with a beautiful friend of mine, Emma
    irFBW-8100069.
    This is the full infrared set: Zombiedoll - Infrared

Hope you like it!
    Daniele Frizzi

• Like Like x 6
  2. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Nice capability to have in m43, Daniele. Such great photos on your blog!

3. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Thank you for your kindness!
    I invested much in M43 and I wanted to use my lenses and my evf for this new camera, so I bought the cheapest available :rolleyes:
    The conversion service wrote on the website that m43 cameras are the best ones for infrared conversion thanks to live view and no need to calibrate lenses :thumbup:

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I really like the look of IR photography - I'm considering sending my E-P1 out to be converted. Looking forwars to seeing more from your new camera. :biggrin:

5. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Bob, I would send the epl2 for the better screen or buy an epl1 if you already own an evf.
    Maybe tomorrow I'll do something near the river, before going to work.

6. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    Which IR filter did you get? I've been wanting to do this for a long time, just can't afford it right now.

7. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Enhanced Color (650nm I believe) because I can add an external filter (900nm) for deep BW infrared.

8. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    Yep, that's the one I want as well. Now I just have to find the money for it.

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The E-P1 is just gathering dust right now - I use the E-PL2 and the E-P3 quite a bit. Does the IR cause problems with the LCD?

10. KH74

KH74 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    Western Australia
    Can you provide a link to this? I looked on Life Pixels website and can only find SuperColorIR (590nm), which is the conversion I wanted, however I really like the look of your images.

I am ordering the E-PL1 from Cameta and having it shipped directly to Life Pixel for IR conversion, then having it shipped to me in Australia.

11. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    No, it does not cause any problem, but in my brief experience (2 days) I found the E-PL1 lcd really poor and I don't like to use that camera without the evf...

Life Pixel Digital Infrared Filter Comparison Photos | LifePixel Digital Infrared Photography IR Conversion, Modification & Scratched Sensor Repair
    I got the Enhanced Color IR Filter
    (equivalent to 665nm Filter)
    I believe the super color looks good too.

12. KH74

KH74 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    Western Australia
    I was going to get the SuperColorIR (590nm) because according to LIfe Pixel "this IR filter is also great for black & white IR photography" (so no need for the external filter). However, I do like the look of your images so now I am conflicted.

13. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Super Color is great for post production in photoshop. Enhanced color is nicer out-of-the-camera.
    The super color is not much contrasted in black and white images, as the deep bw filter. That's the reason I'm going to buy the external filter.

14. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    These are great pharaviel,

So far I only used a 720nm filter, looking at your photos, I am considering getting a 665nm and experiment some more.

That is one of the reason why I went with full spectrum modification the other one is astrophotography... Not tested yet!

Again, Very nice result...

15. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    When you add the the deep black external filter, does this mean you must use a tripod? I thought I wanted a 720nm, but I'm really liking the look of the 650nm. :smile:

16. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    OK - thanks. I'm used to the LCD on the E-P1. I don't own an EVF, never felt the need for one.

17. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    No, the stronger filter just blocks more visible light, the ir pass at the same way. So no tripod, no need for long exposures.

Full spectrum was a nice option. I didn't got it only because I didn't want to buy many filters.