1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My Sony RX100 thread

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by WT21, Aug 9, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I purchased a Sony RX100. I don't think it directly competes with m43, so I'm thinking of posting some thoughts and pics to this thread.

Anyone interested??

• Like Like x 4
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Absolutely !!

• Like Like x 1
  3. oldsweng

oldsweng Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Oregon
    I've had my RX100 a few weeks now. The second day I had it I attended a family reunion picnic and just started shooting. I also brought my :43: kit for more formal group shots. The shots using the RX100 are impressive for a point and shoot camera. The RX100 images, including full size, are here. They all have had a little contrast reduction done to them. The RX100 is now my "carry everywhere" camera.

The sad part is I totally screwed up the group shots. I did not check my E-M5 settings carefully and ended up shooting the group shots at 1/6sec @ f20. The IBIS almost saved me but moving people at 1/6sec are not sharp.

• Like Like x 2
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    On a whim (and maybe out of boredom) I picked up an RX100. I was thinking it might replace my kit lens and perhaps even my P14, and give me a pocket camera, keeping m43 for fast primes, portrait, ultra wide and telephoto.

Just today, though, I was reminded why there's still a need for my m43 cameras. The RX100 max shutter speed is 1/2000. You need f/1.8 to have any hope to get some background blur, and there is no way to attach a filter. Those don't mix very well at all. So, full daylight, and the RX100 struggles unless you stop down.

But at night, this thing is a high ISO, silent shooter machine. More on that in a later post.

Julian over at SC pointed me to Steve Huff's blog on the RX100 shooting seal in concert: The Sony RX100 Shoots Seal in Concert! By Barry Burris | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

Worth it just to see the images.

But here are some of my own. These were first shot on a morning walk yesterday, and shot just to play with some of the toys (like HDR).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

regular, no settings
    [​IMG]

HDR then "auto tone" in LR
    [​IMG]

regular, no settings
    [​IMG]

HDR then "auto tone" in LR
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    And some from last night, coming home from grocery shopping and getting gas for the car.

In the backyard before dinner. Cropped from 20MP to only 12MP. ISO 125
    [​IMG]

Lonely grocery carts. ISO 2000
    [​IMG]

a 20MP gas station spider with only 3.5X zoom at 3200 ISO(!)
    [​IMG]

a 20MP gas station spider cropped to 4.5MP at 3200 ISO(!) Zoom? We don't need no stinkin' zoom!
    [​IMG]

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    One thing I have found -- you have to shut off DRO (dynamic range optimization) in contrasty or bright situations. It creates some pretty heavy white bleeding and softness.

7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Awesome low light shooter, and those Seal concert shots are stunning.....but max SS 1/200 !!! They've essentially handicapped it. Without doing some basic Lightroom trickery it seems taking the RX100 out on a typically bright and sunny day will yield a huge number of blowouts unless stopping way down. I dont know camera building but is engineering in higher SS capabilty a problem ? ...or an inbuilt ND filter ?

8. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    Can you post some shallow dof shots with your rx100 and maybe your 25 side by side?

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    ND filter would have been great.

Most pocket cams that I've seen only have 1/2000 (not sure about the premium compacts like the Panny LX or Fuji X10), but with 1/1.6" and smaller sensors, DOF isn't attainable anyway, so who cares. With this one, you might care.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I can't do that right now, but will try to do it later.

I will tell you this, though -- they won't be close. Not at all close.

Firstly, the sensor is still smaller.

Secondly, the MFD of the RX100 is not very good. At 14mm (eq. actual FL is 10mm) it's 5cm (2"), at full tele (100mm equivalent, 37mm actual), it's .55m (about 21"). I tested the RX100 at mid point (18mm, or 50mm equivalent) and it's just a tiny bit closer than full telephoto. The PL25 focus distance is .3m (about a foot).

Lastly, at 14mm it's f/1.8, but at 100mm, it's f/4.9. At 50mm equivalent, it's f/3.2.

The PL25 at f/1.4 gives a similar DOF on 135 film as a 100mm lens at 2.8 (1.4 times a crop factor of 2X). The Sony at 50mm equivalent focal length gives DOF similar to f/8.6 (3.2 times a crop factor of 2.7)

Or, put another way, the Sony at 50mm equivalent at it's brightest is like shooting the PL25 at f/4.4 (assuming I did my math right). If you have the PL25, you could run that test right now. But I will try to do some comparisons later when I have time.

11. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Seems odd to limit what is the obvious appeal of its sensor size and relatively large f1.8 aperture. I'm now even more curious to see how the slightly smaller sensor of the LX7 combines with it's f1.4 lens. It'll be a hard ask to expect it to wow like the rx100 in low light though.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    So far from my brief stint, the RX100 seems to excel at:

• 14mm, including close up subject isolation, but NOT in full day light
    • Low light shooting of any kind
    • Some tricks (like pano, HDR)
    • Seems to have a good movie mode, though I'm not much of a video shooter. It will do mpg4 or AVCHD which is a nice change.

But for walk-around evening shooting, urban shooting, party shooting, and general travel for family work, it seems pretty good. It'll be interesting, as you mentioned, to compare to the new LX. I think the specs will be different enough that some real thinking/comparisons will be needed to sort it out.

13. Rinaldo

Rinaldo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
  14. oldsweng

oldsweng Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Oregon
    Please correct what appears to be a typo. The max shutter speed is 1/2000.

15. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    According to Panasonic officials, the LX7 will not have better image quality than the LX5. It'll be the same.

'After we evaluated the 1/1.7 "sensor shot out of the picture quality, and 1/1.63" is basically no difference, so the picture quality of the consumer it can definitely do not have to worry about.'

Google Translate

16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Some more shots from tonight. This was from a walk around 7pm EDT. It was getting dark, but there's no fear of ISO3200 with this camera. Its very good for home/family stuff, though the AF speed is a tad slower than my EP3. It also has a relatively deep DOF, so you need to accept that. The 1" backlit sensor gives them a great base for high ISO, but tales of shallow DOF are greatly exaggerated.

image-1334868642.

image-2277284904.

image-1756357313.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

(edit --- hmmm, they load up small from the iPad. I'll have to get them onto Smugmug from my PC and post the link)

17. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I am approaching time to replace my very much-loved LX5 with either the LX7 or the RX100.. so they each have my full attention. As for focal length, the LX7 gets immediate preference for having 24mm equivalent focal length at the wide end. But the IQ of the RX100's larger sensor is a weighing factor for the alternative RX100... hmmmmmmmm. As for attaining minimal DOF, that's not a quality that I would select a pocket camera for... so I won't choose between the LX7 and the RX100 on the basis of minimal DOF. I will be weighing the 24mm FOV on the one hand and the amount of IQ increase by virtue of larger sensor on the other. It's nice to have great choices!

18. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    According to an interview with the Panasonic people, the LX7 doesn't have better IQ than the LX5. The faster lens is an improvement. Is that enough to justify an upgrade from the LX5?

19. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Not sure at this point... I need to do more research on what other differences there may be between the LX5 and the LX7. The RX100 is looking like an awesome replacement for the LX5, but I know I would surely miss being able to go to 24mm equiv. Time, more thought, and more reviews will help me decide. I don't tend to move too quickly on such decisions where there are two conflicting and important factors at play between two choices. The 24mm field of view is a pretty significant attribute to me in a compact camera, so I may well go with the LX7... I've been very pleased with the results from the LX5. We shall see.

20. shanghaishots

shanghaishots Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    new york/shanghai
    reposted essentially from the "what other type of camera are you using besides m4/3". glad there's an RX100 thread. m4/3 is my system cam, the RX100 is my day-to-day. this is going to be a bit stream-of-consciousness rambling on my part - i apologize beforehand!

i took the plunge on the RX100 instead of buying the PL25 f1.4 (they're the same price for me here in shanghai - granted that lens is still very much on my to-buy list!) because i thought it would suit more immediate needs (in the summertime i'm not wearing a jacket so not much pocket space and don't like bringing a bag around too much). also i hike a lot and this slots into my cargo pocket and out easily. I did consider waiting to see about the LX7 as I'm not really a big fan of Sony (bad experiences with a lot of their other products, asides from Playstations), but figured I could try out the RX100 and resell it since it's hot-tech or give it as a belated wedding gift to my sister if it wasn't for me (granted already got her a GF3!). the reviews did a lot in assuaging my concerns and propelled this and the OMD to the top of my to-buy list since they both pack legitimately helpful revolutionary tech (in my eyes the large sensor for Sony and the 5 axis IBIS in OMD) and satisfy my needs for a few years.

can vouch for the RX100 in re: to low-light shooting which i've mainly used it for. been using files up to ISO 6400 and they are not shabby - think they're more than manageable quality for my needs.

really do enjoy the look of surprise people have been getting from some of the files i've been able to produce from this compact. people always pay it no mind which i like and its silent shutter is wonderful. i do miss my vf2 on my EP3, but there would be slight size compromises otherwise. different shooting experience, but it's all good.

agreed that Handheld Twilight mode is pretty legit - have included one of my early test shots with trees and the moon in it as an example. minimal post-processing as i only use iPhoto (no cash to splurge on software after investing in hardware) - some contrast/exposure/shadow/highlights tweaks, but nothing that drastic. don't need to fuss with the sliders too much with these files thus far. Sweep Panorama, while also highly touted, is not really that new or impressive to me - the results I've gotten are so-so, granted it also may be a technique issue on my end. My old Fuji P&S had it. Still I find it useful for attempting a pseudo-wide angle look.

All in all the RX100 gets the job done quite efficiently i find and I'm quite happy with it. With the aforementioned 1/2000 shutter speed, may be shooting more this summer holding an ND filter in place - we shall see.

My minor quibbles would be the startup time which does occasionally feel a little slow. The lack of grip can be rectified. And I haven't been using the lens dial as much as I thought I would be - find it to be more fluffy than actually legitimately useful due to some lag in it turning and the setting on the camera screen reflecting the change.

Enough for now, happy to rant on. But will need to go out and shoot more with it first!

EDIT: as for the cat photo, you can see that some shallow depth of field is possible in low light at the wide end. i was more amazed that the cat just stared into the lens and held a pose for me. stealthy shooter didn't creep out the subject so it seems as if the cam is feline-endorsed. i quite like the quality of the background, even the slight distortion that seems to be present.

Attached Files: