My Sony RX100 arrived; test shots and more

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by phdezra, Jul 2, 2012.

1. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
    Got my hands on an RX100 from a friend back from Japan directly. Wow - what a camera! Took it to my favorite park across the street from my office -- you know I love those real-user, average Joe tests (after all, any professional can make great photos with even a mediocre camera; the key is for the mediocre photog to make great images!)

Snappy camera, fast handling, amazingly quick and most important: great images. Tried it for 90 shots; selling it. Loved it!!! Buuuuut I have the E-M5 now and really don't need it even though I ordered it ages ago. (Will be selling on the For Sale forum.)

I set the camera to a mere 10MP (down from its native 20MP!) and shot in P mode and iAuto to see how it would perform. 95% of my shots were keepers. I spent my time on people, since that is what I mainly take images of friends and family. That said, while I like the camera, I realize I dont need $700 invested in it. Going for sale soon, with under 100 test shots. Works flawlessly. I'm sure it will make someone happy, but again since I carry my E-M5 everywhere nowadays, I just dont need it.

Some test shots (full Flickr set is available here: RX100 - a set on Flickr ) and here is a link to video Unboxing Sony RX100 unboxing | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Details in her wisps of hair is astounding (and yet this is at the 10MP setting!)

This photo taken in harsh sunlight - nice performance and DR handling! [​IMG]

This woman was sitting in 95 degree direct sun. The RX100 did a superb job capturing the detail without blowing out highlights. Bravo!

Pointing straight at Grace building in NYC. Look at the sky blue and details in the building. If you check out the Original size in Flickr set you can even see lights in the building that are on. Detail unreal.

• Like Like x 3
  2. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    You lucky bastard. Any words on the feel, usability and build.
  3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    any good P&S camera (e.g. Canon S100) will do good in daylight for regular size prints. I would be more interested in low light shots. How does it handle AWB? skin tones under indoor lightning? flash shots, etc. I recently bought Canon S100 as my compact camera and I like 24mm wide angle, very handy for self/couple shots when traveling and 5x zoom is great too. I've been interested in RX100 though. The most important question for me whether I'll see much difference at normal viewing sizes (not pixel level). The difference in price is almost 2x and it's also thicker and heavier than S100 which is already one of the larger P&S for jeans. My experience with Sony P&S cams was pretty bad in the past. Always horrid color, WB and extreme NR. I do like Sony or video though (far ahead of Canon).
    • Like Like x 1
  4. votoms888

votoms888 New to Mu-43

Feb 16, 2012
    There is something about the detail in the 1st picture that is amazing.
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA

Are there any RAW converters besides Sony's own that support the camera yet?