1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My sharpest adapted lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by snkenai, Sep 18, 2010.

1. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    After a couple of months with my E-p1 and the following lenses;

Vivitar 24mm f2.8
    OM 35mm f2.8
    OM 50mm f1.8
    Konica 50mm f1.7
    Konica 135mm f3.5
    Vivitar 70-210 mm f3.5 Series I (stovepipe)

In the short lenses, The Vivitar 24 is the best, followed by Konica 50, OM 50, and then OM 35.

Test was a wicker basket on the dinning table in good indirect light no flash. Camera sitting flat on same table. All with f-5.6 apeture. I used manual fosus assist.

There was VERY slight advantage of Vivitar 24 over Konica 50. Noticable difference in Konica and OM 50s. Very slight differnce in OM 50 and 35.

I repeted any questionable shots due to focus.

This was NOT a scientific test and it was for my own use, in deciding which lenses to keep, if I should decide to sell some. I did not do an in depth test of several apetures.

By the way when I'm just going out with no plan or purpose I almost always put the 24 on and head out. I usually also have the 70-210 in the car, just in case.

2. chalkdust

chalkdust Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2009
    McKinney, Texas
    I do not own any of these lenses. But I recommend a similar exercise for anyone with multiple lenses. Get to know your lenses! I especially like "put the 24 on and head out." We all need a faithful companion lens. And we all need to "head out" with it! Thanks for posting this and encouraging all of us.

3. red

red Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2010
    Hi

On my side I also just begun to make some non scientific tests with may lenses. I own a GF1 with a LTM/M39 and a Pentax K adapter. With the help of some extension tubes I also was able to mount lenses with a different register than for Leica screw (evaluated by experiment). So I was able to use Paxette lenses (M39/44) or my MIR-1 (M39/45,46).

Which "non scientific" test object would you recommend. And how do you rate sharpness and color quality?

Picture: a Retro-Lumax 35 lens on my GF1

(Use the tag "retro lumax 35" and you will see pictures taken with this combination)

4. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    My unscientific test subject was a medicine bottle label. Wasn't checking for color. That I do with other subjects. The first thing I wanted to know was the clarity worth messing with. The label has several sizes of text etc. I have picked up several more old lenses last week and will be checking those also. One or two of those already in the discard set.
    Guess I'm never completely satisfied.

5. red

red Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2010
    Just found these test charts:
    simple chart
    and
    complex chart
    I both printed on a laser printer. As soon as I will find some time I will try them...
    On the other side I also will prepare a kind of a still life with different objects.

6. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Just an idea...

We could make a big database of adapted lenses with photos of this chart and some comments about the lenses and post here in mu-43.com! What do you think about it?

7. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    I'm happy to make some objective judgements on my Voigtlander lenses.

Barrie